You can type here any text you want

231 Head and Intake Porting

• Thread starter Thread starter BBTurbo
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
B

BBTurbo

Is it worth pulling the heads off and porting them? What size is the valves in this motor? How about porting the intake? I would like to squeeze the most out of this motor. Will the turbo benefit from this modifications? Also, I have heard that the 3.8 is a 305 with two cylinders cut off. Is this true? Thanks in advance for everyones input.

It's always worth porting the intake and heads, if you can afford it.
The valve sizes are 1.710 in. and 1.500 ex.
A 231 buick is kind of like a 350 buick, destroked, w/ 2 of the cylinders cut off.

That is the stock size, but you can have it machined to accept 1.80 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. I had it done on mine. Porting of the heads made a noticable difference also.

Originally posted by BBTurbo
Is it worth pulling the heads off and porting them? What size is the valves in this motor? How about porting the intake? I would like to squeeze the most out of this motor. Will the turbo benefit from this modifications? Also, I have heard that the 3.8 is a 305 with two cylinders cut off. Is this true? Thanks in advance for everyones input.

Just a fine stone, and smooth out the combustion chambers. The edge where the head gasket surface meets the actual camber is critical. You want a really small radius to just make sure there is no real edge for a hot spot to form. Then a little pocket porting.

Easy way to power is adding, boost and the common limit to that is detonation, so you want to work on preventing detonation.

Back