28psi with E85 and Alky

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
Did a little tuning on the wife's car today. It's hot and humid, 85F outside.

Car has a TA49, 80's, TT chip, SMC single nozzle squirting methanol and 3" exhaust. Stock intercooler with duttweiler neck. Bone stock motor with 165k miles. Single Walbro 340 pump and stock fuel lines. Just put 28" tires on it, looking to trap +116 next time it's out at the track.

Had quite a bit of wheel spin when I got into it so the 1-2 looks a bit funny....
blue8528.jpg

Car has a TA49, 80's, TT chip, SMC single nozzle squirting methanol and 3" exhaust. Stock intercooler with duttweiler neck. Bone stock motor with 165k miles. Single Walbro 340 pump and stock fuel lines.

from original post....DOH!! :tongue:

here's the log file. The 80's are running around 75%. :eek:

it's still good... it's still good... hahaha!

I gotta get it to the track soon. It's just flyin'. Running smoother, quieter, faster than it ever did on gasoline.

On 100 octane gasoline, it trapped close to 114 with 26" tires. Can't wait to see what it'll do now.

Attachments

• BLU_E85_2010_1.008.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 73
:eek:

Gotta love that E85. They just switched to summer blend a week or 2 ago.

Got any wideband data?

Bob

:eek:

Gotta love that E85. They just switched to summer blend a week or 2 ago.

Got any wideband data?

Bob

Nah, I don't have a wideband on this car. I was wondering if it would even provide useful data. If I remember correctly, my LC-1 booklet says it can read accurrately down to about 9:1 A/F, and I'm probably around there or maybe richer.

Nah, I don't have a wideband on this car. I was wondering if it would even provide useful data. If I remember correctly, my LC-1 booklet says it can read accurrately down to about 9:1 A/F, and I'm probably around there or maybe richer.

You really think it's that rich? The narrowband would suggest high 10's low 11's.

I think there is some misconception here.

I made the most power on e85 @ 10.8afr a little richer than gas worked out better.

remember that the wideband is rescaling Lambda based on a gasoline scale. I am running E85 at 11.5:1 (gasoline scale) which is most likely in the 9's somewhere on an ethanol scale.

Most guys are using the gasoline scale numbers around here.

Bob

remember that the wideband is rescaling Lambda based on a gasoline scale. I am running E85 at 11.5:1 (gasoline scale) which is most likely in the 9's somewhere on an ethanol scale.

Most guys are using the gasoline scale numbers around here.

Bob

I'll have to study up on it, when I think of different scales I think of lambda ratio, but I thought straight A/F was the same calculation regardless of fuel type, just mass of air over mass of fuel?? I guess that may be the case if you actually know the mass flows of each, as opposed to measuring oxygen content as is done with a lambda sensor.

If I remember correctly, the LM-1 and LC-1 can both be reprogrammed for different stoich's for different fuel types. But I haven't looked at it for a while....

they can be reprogrammed, but its just easier to forget that your running corn and use the wideband as if you were running gas.

if you want to know your true AFR then use the gasoline scaled number, and multiply by the ratio of the stoich numbers (stoich for corn/stoich for gas)

so, for me at 11.5:1 gasoline scaled. that is 11.5 * (9.765/14.7) or 7.64:1

but, its just easier to use the gasoline numbers since thats what we are all used to.

B

they can be reprogrammed, but its just easier to forget that your running corn and use the wideband as if you were running gas.

if you want to know your true AFR then use the gasoline scaled number, and multiply by the ratio of the stoich numbers (stoich for corn/stoich for gas)

so, for me at 11.5:1 gasoline scaled. that is 11.5 * (9.765/14.7) or 7.64:1

but, its just easier to use the gasoline numbers since thats what we are all used to.

B

I see. I had been thinking of it as true AFR as opposed to a gasoline scaled lambda measurement.

wikipedia has some good info, I was just reading up on it. Nice little reference table there too.
E85 in standard engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks man, I learned sumthin' new!

Looking good, time to ditch the intercooler, add on another M15 and blast away!!!! :D