3.2 196 buick v6, anything good about it?

other than looking at the emissions sticker under the hood, what kind of visual cues make it different than a 231? different carb, perhaps? i think the 231 had the "half a quadrajet" carbs on them...
it had a fender emblem had to pop the hood to see what it looked like

ya know what, I think I remember seeing a regal with that badge one time. It was on the fender in front of the door right?

Small displacement engines can make awesome power when done right.

If you had the resources you could build a 210 cubic inch turbo Buick V-6 with 1375 HP which was enough to power the Gallina/Duttweiler GN to the NHRA record of being the FIRST Super Stock car into the 7's! :)

Cool thing about this record, no other racer can ever hold it. :cool:

The GN weight was 3100#'s, and the engine made power to over 9000 RPM.

Cool thing about that record is made a lot of old school Superstockers cry:smuggrin: Oh and is still a sore spot to the traditionalists:D

The yellow paint leads me to believe that is from the Buick Bonneville Salt flats deal from the 70's I used to have one like that. Where may I ask did you see this? The girdle is from the same era it is a Buick design made by Moroso at the time for them. It is where the V6 block girdle originated from contrary to what some would say. It was made before the GN was even sold.
Mike

Here are a couple pictures of a 3.2 block I have. It’s a 1979 virgin block with a casting number 1261785 the bores are under the 3.500” that would have been used in production. I would guess the girdle dates back to around 1979. At one time I’m sure this block was intended for a performance build.

The front pic looks like there is a buttttttttt load of casting flash on it.

Do you ever plan on using that block or just keep it for a conversation piece?

The yellow paint leads me to believe that is from the Buick Bonneville Salt flats deal from the 70's I used to have one like that. Where may I ask did you see this? The girdle is from the same era it is a Buick design made by Moroso at the time for them. It is where the V6 block girdle originated from contrary to what some would say. It was made before the GN was even sold.
Mike

Mike, I have that block in my garage. ( Just up the street from you again if this is in fact the same block ) I picked it up from Dave, who I know got stuff from you over the years. It’s funny I had a feeling you might know something about this block. Many on this board don’t realize how long you have been around these Buicks.

Robzombe, I’ll have to take another look at the front on the block, the sharp edges might just be from the machining at that surface. This block is a great conversation piece, I would think it was intended for something special since the bores are unfinished from when it was cast and an early design girdle was put on it.

Yes, the girdle was developed long before it was reintroduced to the turbo Buick group. I remember Mike commenting years ago about Moroso making one but for some reason I think I also saw a picture once where Smokey Yunick had one on a block in his shop. The fact that there would be a lot of meat left in the bore after a small bore build would be good. But it would still be a small cube build.

I thought that might be my block. I know some more things about it, there was also another girdle that went with it that I "loaned" to Terry Houston and was supposed to get back. Turns out he gave it to Red for one of his motors. Not too many have been doing this longer than me I have seen lots of interesting parts in my time
Mike