You can type here any text you want

3.4 Eagle crank/ 4.1 S2 block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BUICKTR

Can you use an Eagle crank on a 4.1 S2 (oncenter) 153 block.
Has anybody done this yet. I wonder what will be the HP limit with this crank, forge rods, solid roller and GN1 alum heads.:)

I have a eagle going in a 3.8 stage 1. The parts are being assembeled at DLS looking at 800-900HP reliably.

Funny you mention this here. I have also considered the same. I was informed that the issue may become the rod bearing surface when using the Eagle crank.Thi was not a conclusive answer but based solely on narrow Vs wide journal usage in high HP apps. Maybe someone can chime in and give a definite answer on building or having built a similar motor(narrow journal/ high hp/off center...)

And you could use one of the offset ground strokers that Bill Anderson was offering a week or two ago (Eagle crank, 3.525 stroke, sbc 2.1" rod journal diameter), with Eagle rods and all bearings for $1400 :-). Only issue I would make sure of is the rear main seal diameter the block is set up for, Buick vs. chevy.

Originally posted by Louie L.
Funny you mention this here. I have also considered the same. I was informed that the issue may become the rod bearing surface when using the Eagle crank.Thi was not a conclusive answer but based solely on narrow Vs wide journal usage in high HP apps. Maybe someone can chime in and give a definite answer on building or having built a similar motor(narrow journal/ high hp/off center...)

Louie,
The wide journal rod bearing will work in a stock rod on a narrow journal crank with no modifications necessary. If you put a stock bearing in a stock rod, you will notice there is extra material on the stock rod that is not being used, a wide journal bearing fits perfect.In theory, a narrow journal crank is stronger as there is more material between the rod journals. I have never broken either cranks, wide or narrow. (steel that is!)

EightSecV6

So on a 4.1 S2 oncenter block can you get a matching rod for the Eagle crank. Would have have to use for example a Carrillo, Crower, Cunniham rod (oncenter):confused:

Re: EightSecV6

Originally posted by BUICKTR
So on a 4.1 S2 oncenter block can you get a matching rod for the Eagle crank. Would have have to use for example a Carrillo, Crower, Cunniham rod (oncenter):confused:

100% correct, if you can only find wide journal rods(used), I can narrow them to fit, the wide journal rod wont fit the crank but it takes the same bearing...

EightSecV6

What length rods should I used if buying used oncenter rods. If I decide to use a new rod should I buy narrow or wide journal. Thanks!

I would look for a 6.5" narrow journal on center rod if you intend to use the Eagle crank, if you have to buy new, buy the narrow journals for the Eagle crank.

EightSecV6

Thanks alot for the info.:) Would you know the estimated power this combo would have with ported GN1 alum heads, billet solid roller cam (224/224 or 236/236), forge pistons, 9 to 1 compression and a PT 76 GTQ turbo. Thanks again! :cool:

Re: EightSecV6

Originally posted by BUICKTR
Thanks alot for the info.:) Would you know the estimated power this combo would have with ported GN1 alum heads, billet solid roller cam (224/224 or 236/236), forge pistons, 9 to 1 compression and a PT 76 GTQ turbo. Thanks again! :cool:

Realistically,I would think it could make 800hp with that turbo

Bill,

Are you saying that the combination would have 800 flywheel or rear wheel horse power. The turbo is good for 950 flywheel as per PT. Is there a limitation some where else?

John,
I am not sure what PTE uses to rate the turbos, maybe Joe Lubrant could chime in. For all practical purposes, I think 800hp is what that turbo would make at the flywheel with the above combination. I think the turbo on my car is rated to 1900hp, no way in the world it would ever be near that. The 950hp is probably rated by cfm, if you put it on a 500cid BBC, I bet there wouldnt be a problem making 950hp.

800 horse at FW a bit conservative??

The fastest TSM guys are making over 800hp at the flywheel with a 70GTQ so would 900fwhp really be out of the question with that combo and a 76GTQ:confused: I would personally think it would probably just depend on how hard you'd be willing to lean on it, but 900 horse at the FW sounds at least doable to me... Keep in mind I'm no kind of expert or turbo guru, but my basic knowledge of mathematics and playing around with a HP calculator on the internet qualifys me to make this post:D

Then again Bill is the one with the fastest Turbo Buick on the planet so his opinion probably holds more water than mine:) :cool: ;)

Eagle crank in Stg block.

I resently installed one of the new Eagle 3.400" cranks in a Stg11 #16 block, pretty much a no brainer drop in. I used a Carrillo 6.5" rod and a 4.020" J&E piston, FWIW the crank balanced almost perfectly at 36.6% Seeing the motor has a 224 Hyd roller and won't see much over 6000 RPM we balanced it at 36.6% The journals were somewhat on the low side and I used a set of coated bearing that brought the clearances where we wanted them.

9sec.

Back