You can type here any text you want

3.8 and 4.1 flexplate differences????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

413turbo

what are the differences in the 3.8 and 4.1 flexplate? i see in the powersoucre to modify the plate by cutting out the circles that aren't. in a budget 4.1 build, can the 4.1 plate be cut and used?

since they use the same crank in the 4.1 and turbo 3.8, i'd guess that there is no real functional difference beyond the turbo piece being beefier.

The 4.1 uses a different balancer with a bigger offset weight but the flex plate should be the same.

Also to let you know that even though the 4.1 uses the same crank as the 3.8 turbo engine it is slightly heavier. I'm guessing here but it looks like GM removed more weight from the counter weight lobes on the 3.8's cranks when balancing. The way I came acrossed this is....I swapped out a 4.1 crank into a turbo 3.8 & they had to remove 15 grams from each counter weight on the crank when rebalancing.

what are the differences in the 3.8 and 4.1 flexplate? i see in the powersoucre to modify the plate by cutting out the circles that aren't. in a budget 4.1 build, can the 4.1 plate be cut and used?

So with that in mind.... I would take the 3.8 balancer and both flexplates to the balancing guy and let him choose which one to use.

BTW...the flex plates are not the same

Yep the only difference is the weight removed due to the difference in pistons. Not an issue if you are having the reciprocating assembly balanced.

Back