You can type here any text you want

3.8 Stage 2 Redux

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JoyOf6

I still have this virgin early 3.8 Stage 2 block. http://www.geocities.com/joyof6/3_8Stage2Block
Cast caps, non-siamesed.

Three years ago when I was considering building it for my daily driver, Neal S. mentioned how these will crack between the "freeze" plugs. Billy A. noted that lacing prevents this on the S1 (implication is it would work on same-vintage S2). Here in 2005, it's pretty clear I won't need a small-c.i. S2 so this block can go. If there's any further experience with prepping these blocks in their weak spots for longevity, please post.

Oh yeah, in 2002, I ended up putting a fresh 0.030"-over 109 in the car. After the Accufab butterfly bolts broke and went through the engine last December - why should I be angry, "that's racing" :rolleyes: - that 109 recently took a final ream to 0.040"-over.

Art

BTW, your first three caps are billet, the rear cap is cast. Same configuration that my aluminum SII block has.

Mike Licht said:
And the price is..........?
Mike

$2250 plus freight.

The link in the first post describes any details I know about this block. Caveat emptor. ebay next.

(correction: I think caps 1-3 are steel.)

Art

P.S. Heheh, beat me by one minute, Dave.

Good price.

Neal

JoyOf6 said:
$2250 plus freight.

The link in the first post describes any details I know about this block. Caveat emptor. ebay next.

(correction: I think caps 1-3 are steel.)

Art

P.S. Heheh, beat me by one minute, Dave.

Can you lace it before it has a crack? What is "PR" oiling? how much maching would it take to get this block ready for assembly and whats the cost?

turbodave231 said:
Dave from what I seen in the pics is lacing just a row of bolts threaded in with space between the bolts,back in 87 my boss tehn did something similar to Model A heads but the bolts were all over lapping each other

Lacing is the only way I have been successful in repairing a crack between the expansion plugs, you cannot "lace" a crack that does not exist. The block in the pics does not have the water jacket drains drilled and tapped, it will be stronger in the weak area that usually cracks.

Those repairs on the Cummins are amazing. Still in the truck. :eek:

I was curious about this, I have a set of iron heads that have a tremendous amount of time invested in them. I had to turn my head when I got the news so the machinist didn't see me cry....

What do you think, is it worth trying, or is the cost too much?

:cool:

Back