You can type here any text you want

3.8 turbo no turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scott w

is there any diffrence between a 3.8 turbo long block to a 3.8 non turbo engene

the ones i know off the top of my head:

1. the turbo drian hole isn't tapped.

2. the turbo has a rolled fillet crank, NA 3.8's do not.

The most important difference is the pistons in the NA are not adequate.

So did all turbo engines come with forged pistons?

None came with anything forged. The pistons are eutectic castings. They are actually are very strong design and are better than any hyperutectic piston available and id prefer them over any cheap forging. To get better than stock you would need a set of JE, Wiseco, or Diamonds. Ive seen some NA replacement engines that had turbo rotating assemblies including pistons in the late 109 castings. The only thing different would have been the oil return not tapped. I cant recall but the cam may have even been a turbo cam. TTAowners question about the cam is a good one. It is also different than a VIN A but not a critical difference.

None came with anything forged. The pistons are eutectic castings. They are actually are very strong design and are better than any hyperutectic piston available and id prefer them over any cheap forging. To get better than stock you would need a set of JE, Wiseco, or Diamonds. Ive seen some NA replacement engines that had turbo rotating assemblies including pistons in the late 109 castings. The only thing different would have been the oil return not tapped. I cant recall but the cam may have even been a turbo cam. TTAowners question about the cam is a good one. It is also different than a VIN A but not a critical difference.

The stock turbo pistons are very strong for the eutectic variety but this comes at the expense of weight - they are very HEAVY.

The stock turbo pistons are very strong for the eutectic variety but this comes at the expense of weight - they are very HEAVY.

They need to be with all the times they will be put through the grenade mode. I cant remember how many of these cars i worked on over the years that had leaking hoses between the actuator and turbo:eek: . No doubt they took a lot of detonation. Hardly ever see broken pistons though.

Back