You can type here any text you want

3 Muffler Exhaust System

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Not much is required a couple sockets and wrenches will do just fine

Ok thanks...but I should have been more precise with my question...:rolleyes: What I'd like to know is how is the system hanged under the car?...Is it by using the stock crossflow muffler brackets ( the ones on each side, high above the rear axle) ?
Other than these, are there other points where the system is fastened besides where it bolts to the catalytic converter?
Thanks,

Claude :wink:

Put a stock exhaust system on the car and use an electric cutout.

You need flow at WOT... this comes at a cost. Cost=noise

I bet your exhuast back pressure goes up big time with any quiet exhuast system. Exhuast back pressure goes up on a turbo car... POOOOF goes the HG.

So I guess I helped save my headgaskets by swapping the stock dp/Flowmaster set up with a 3 inch dp/straight shot exhaust w/Dynamax?

Think of it as blowing air through a coffee stir vs a drinking straw.

Now if anyone can comeup with an exhaust that makes the same power as an open downpipe and sounds like a stocker.. line me up.. :D

Just to chime in here, I too have searched on this. I didn't want the added weight of duals, since we only have one outlet. But I wanted the flow which would mean a 3" single shot should suffice. However, the ATR and other single shots were loud and droned worse than anything. I have read that a magnaflow in place of the atr pitbull, or whatever you are using cures the droning and silences the exhaust a tad. I will let you know how mine sounds when done, if it ever does get done.:mad: I went with the Gbodyparts 3" single shot with magnaflow.

I didn't want the added weight of duals, since we only have one outlet. But I wanted the flow which would mean a 3" single shot should suffice.

The mufflers that come with the "GN1Performance" 3 in. dual s.s. exhaust system are the same "straight-through" design as the ATR "PitBull" muffler and shouldn't be more restrictive..in fact the whole system should actually be LESS restrictive since there are two outlets to evacuate the exhaust gases. It's true though, that a dual muffler might be a little heavier. I also have the "last resort" option of adding my actual "PitBull" muffler in place of the catalytic converter...With three (3) mufflers :eek:, I can't believe the car will still be noisy!! :redface:

Claude ;)

The mufflers that come with the "GN1Performance" 3 in. dual s.s. exhaust system are the same "straight-through" design as the ATR "PitBull" muffler and shouldn't be more restrictive..in fact the whole system should actually be LESS restrictive since there are two outlets to evacuate the exhaust gases. It's true though, that a dual muffler might be a little heavier. I also have the "last resort" option of adding my actual "PitBull" muffler in place of the catalytic converter...With three (3) mufflers :eek:, I can't believe the car will still be noisy!! :redface:

Claude ;)

A LITTLE heavier? Alot actually :) Yes less restrictive, but if you have a single 3" downpipe, then truly you only need a single 3" exhaust. Your exhaust is only as big as its smallest point. Only time will tell when I will actually see how much quieter the magnaflow is. Personally, I like loud pipes, so I don't care about the sound. The drone is really the only thing I am trying to avoid.

I'm curious if a glass pack in line after the muffler would help to quiet the drone? I know it worked on a 2.5 inch system on my truck, but a 3 inch on a Buick.....hhhmmm......

And Julio I know what you mean, swapping from a stocker dp to a 3 inch with a straight shot 3 inch exhaust/Dynamax Ultraflow allowed me to gain an extra 6 + PSI that i didn't do before, with no other mods involved.

It is true when they say it's only as big as the smallest diameter.....stock dp's are really only 2.25 inches.

I'm curious if a glass pack in line after the muffler would help to quiet the drone? I know it worked on a 2.5 inch system on my truck, but a 3 inch on a Buick.....hhhmmm......

And Julio I know what you mean, swapping from a stocker dp to a 3 inch with a straight shot 3 inch exhaust/Dynamax Ultraflow allowed me to gain an extra 6 + PSI that i didn't do before, with no other mods involved.

It is true when they say it's only as big as the smallest diameter.....stock dp's are really only 2.25 inches.

Just think as the exhaust opened up so did the boost.. here we're trying to go backwards in performance putting 3 mufflers.

On my TTA.. stock exhuast and a DMH cutout. The DMH cutout would be opened when the motor was raced. This way going through a drive though food could be ordered without having to shut the car down.. It would just be one step to do when racing it..

HTH

I believe turbo1dr made a valve on a dump pipe that opened the door with the boost.

Just think as the exhaust opened up so did the boost.. here we're trying to go backwards in performance putting 3 mufflers.

On my TTA.. stock exhuast and a DMH cutout. The DMH cutout would be opened when the motor was raced. This way going through a drive though food could be ordered without having to shut the car down.. It would just be one step to do when racing it..

HTH

Julio,
Dennis Hogan has run 9.1 @149 mph with three mufflers. There is no back pressure using 3 Ultra-flows. He runs 10.5 with his street car through 2.5" three muffler system. The only down side to the three muffler system is initial cost to fabricate, and the added weight. It is the ONLY system that eliminates drone. It is VERY quiet, eliminates drone, and flows as well as a single shot 3". The cost? ...........depends on how good of a friend you are with a good fabricator.;) The third muffler (the secret to eliminating drone) is about $200 alone. It will out live the car, though.

Now, on a TTA.........You are on your own. :p Them things are a PAIN to build anything. Check out the 3.5" oval down pipe I recently built. (not to mention the 3.5" oval intercooler plumbing to the Precision front mount, too.) (More time than anyone should have to put into a car.:redface: )

Julio,
It is the ONLY system that eliminates drone. It is VERY quiet, eliminates drone, and flows as well as a single shot 3". The third muffler is the secret to eliminating drone

Good!, now you're reassuring me as this is exactly what I want to do! The dual setup is on order and I have an extra third muffler if the need arises. :wink:

Claude :D

As the newest member of the 3 muffler club I can attest that it's super quiet. As a matter of fact it's so quiet I think a lot of people would be turned off by how it sounds now. I have a 3" DP with no cat and a 2 1/2" SS dual exhaust and previously had Dynomax Super turbos on it. It sounded great but had the 1800-2000 RPM drone. One of the baffles came loose inside one muffler and was rattling so I went to the 3 mufflers with SS Ultraflows. It's so quiet that with the windows down I hear tire noise I never knew was there! I hear a couple of thumps when I hit bumps that I never heard before too. It's about as quiet as a carbed 3.8 Regal but with slightly more growl.

I do hear a low murmur from 1400-1600 RPM if you're in 4th gear on a highway off ramp or on ramp. In all honesty that's with the windows up, AC on and the radio down low so it's really a non-issue. As long as I haven't added any restriction I'll be happy. Paying for the system is a different matter. My exhaust guy had a helluva time with it and he passed the frustration on to me believe me! :eek: If I knew what he was going to charge me I would have spent a couple of weekends under it myself or not done it at all. So get an estimate before you do it!!

If you want silence and no drone this is the way.

The 3 muffler system was too quiet, and the duals too loud

So, I pulled the dual mufflers off and put a stock location muffler in. As was previously posted, there are a couple of the Walker/Dynomax mufflers that will fit. The stock hangars can be used. The piping going into the muffler is tight after coming over the back axle. It has great tone, and no drone. I like it.
I have the stock downpipe, a test pipe, and the 2.5 Torque Tech cat back system. Disclaimer: Yours may sound different...:confused:
TurboBob posted pics of the crossflow in the stock location in another thread, so I won't bother with mine.

I'm going to get a 3 Muffler system put in tommrow... Cant wait my car drones like a sun of a gun..

my system is 10 years old or so now, gotta love stainless.....

Bob

System installed .. works great

Attachments

• 13411958_10153469994477186_8590915414816433137_o.jpg
    13411958_10153469994477186_8590915414816433137_o.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 56
  • 13412088_10153469994417186_5008492344767444717_o.jpg
    13412088_10153469994417186_5008492344767444717_o.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 13416977_10153469994352186_4100780345537245471_o.jpg
    13416977_10153469994352186_4100780345537245471_o.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 13418486_10153469994302186_8635417770594606643_o.jpg
    13418486_10153469994302186_8635417770594606643_o.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 58
I agree Drag Radials are next, I called up BF Goodrich and complained about the issue with these tires.. It seems the back tires wear out much faster.

Back