You can type here any text you want

30 pounds boost.... I think

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

asghert

Took off a very poorly installed aftermarket ram air system. After it was originally installed he lowered the front end(hotchkis coil springs for sale) and after a few bumps there wasn't much left of it. Someone used flat head bolts and sheet metal screws to install it. Anyway since I took it out I have 30 lbs. plus boost pressure. I say plus because the gauge pegs. I know that's not good. It feels good, but it's not good. I won't reinstall that junk that was on there.

Any suggestions?

Waste gate adjust?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Is there a boost controller or valve anywhere?

Can you post pictures of where the lines go from the turbo?

What kind of fuel are you running? 30lbs is a little dangerous to the headgasket.

Hi, Jim

First off I see you are fairly new to the forum, so I'm going to guess you are new to Turbo Buick's as well...Posting what mods you have done to the car will help members cause it will eliminate a lot of unnessesary questions...If you are not running alky and or some race gas you are abusing the hell out of that car.....At 30 lbs of boost you may still be hurting it anyways...Stay out of the gas post up all the mods you can think of and help will be on the way!!

Currently running 43 lb injectors and PTE chip, adjustable fuel regulator, mass air pipe, high volume fuel pump, TE -44 Turbo, stretch intercooler, throttle body, 70mm mass air, 3" Terry Huston down pipe, 3" Huston High Flow Cat, Hooker exhaust, Shift kit, and 3000 st Vig converter. I'll get pictures tonight.

Last night I think I started losing pressure. I was at about 10 lbs. and the waste gate started intermittently opening. Maybe a leak?

sorry to tell you but it sounds to me that one or both of your head gaskets have gone south and 30 psi would do that to any untuned engine for that much psi. I am sure someone else will chime on this one ..

Boost opens the gate, leaks don't open the gate thats why I asked if there was a valve or controller.

Not sure I understand what happed at 10 psi..

pajo, I don't think it's a blown head gasket. I'll check the dipstick when I get home, but I've put some miles on it and I think I would've overheated or thrown a rod by now. But thanks for making me nervous on a Friday.

Archie, I guess I'm not sure what happened either. All I know is I was into the throttle and I heard the gate open as if I had let off. But if I held the throttle down it became intermittent like I was losing and gaining boost. Feels like a leak or maybe the valve? It is adjustable. Which direction should I move the nut. Toward the valve or away?

Culprit. So is it safe to say I was losing pressure?
572.jpg

Oh, yeah and I adjusted the boost down to 15 pounds through trial and error and I'm happy with it. 30 was nice for a day though......

While the line was loose I did notice an oil smell. Not a burn smell. Like a vapor smell. Like an old v8 with blow-by. It's gone now and pressure is good.

IS the oil clean/milkshake.

Try to loc tie those boost lines so they don't pop off. Also remove the last inch if the end is bad.

Welcome to Turbo Regals!!!!

I just went out to lunch and noticed that oil smell again, which made me think about possible blow-by. I checked the vented oil filler cap and it was a little saturated. thoughts?

Knock will pop your motor. Typically on 93 octane you can run 15-16 PSI. When you go higher you will have knock. This is why race gas or injection is used.

To see knock you need a scantool or knock gauge. If you listen for it.. bad things will happen.

First mod should be a scanmaster and watch the knock readings. 30 PSI it would have been off the charts knock wise. Especially for a chip not designed for 30, a fuel not designed for 30, and a tune not designed to support 30. Be happy if the engine is still in one piece.

If you dont have a scanmaster, drop boost below 14 until you get one.

HTH

Also, get used to leaking valve cover gaskets that pour oil right on top of your crossover. That will give you the burnt oil smell.

Back