30psi on boost still no knock

Its great to see all of these gains, but the small turbos running that much boost on some of the setups I see indicates that more efficiency via larger turbo to fit the band is in due, no?

Everyone seems to concern themselves entirely with "boost" and ignore the other aspects that make forced ind. engines really cook. And esp. with these blocks, head sealing becomes a big issue when you start cranking it that high. I suppose however, for a given "hardware" a simple boost increase is quite easy... well as opposed to new cam, turbo, heads, etc...

Phil

PhilM said:
Its great to see all of these gains, but the small turbos running that much boost on some of the setups I see indicates that more efficiency via larger turbo to fit the band is in due, no?

Everyone seems to concern themselves entirely with "boost" and ignore the other aspects that make forced ind. engines really cook. And esp. with these blocks, head sealing becomes a big issue when you start cranking it that high. I suppose however, for a given "hardware" a simple boost increase is quite easy... well as opposed to new cam, turbo, heads, etc...

Phil
Phil, I have an unopened engine. That being said, my car at 34 psig. is not seeing the cylinder pressures as the cam and head guys. I usually run about 30-32 psig. I hit 34 a few times when the weather turned cold. I turned it down some after that not that I was worried about that level. 35psig is where I would start putting the brakes on the boost for an unopen engine in excellent tune. My direct scan read out has the numbers dead on. The Translator Extender Extreme does an excellent job of keeping the mixture nearly perfect. Whenever I decide to build the motor and break the original seal, that will be the end of mondo boost for me. I dont race the car anyway.

PhilM said:

Phil
I agree. Ive out grown my PT54 with meth running nearly 30 psi all the time on 93. Stepping up to a 72p to get some more mph. Cars could benefit more than ever with larger turbos now that the cat is out of the bag with meth injection and smart tuning.

so what im hearing is keep my 30psi i have a 63 turbo,never saw any knock..ran awesome too..i was just a little worried,but sounds like this is begining to become more normal with the alky?

Yup... Boost is fun, although I'd rather see "xxx(x)HP and still no knock" --- kinda tells a little more than just a boost value. My car made over 500 with the boost at 15psi, and that was with the "small" turbo...

Razor said:
Thursday nite last 100 feet I hit 30 PSI as well.. my line to the boost controller hit the header rear drivers side and melted..

Razor... you sure you aren't sandbagging.... I have been reading the stuff you are experimenting with..... and how much more power you are making.... and now you are hitting 30+ psi at the strip..... but you haven't updated your sig to include a new best time......... Are you sure you aren't sandbagging? :eek:

...... or are you just laying for Norbs? :eek:

Blazer406 said:
Razor... you sure you aren't sandbagging.... I have been reading the stuff you are experimenting with..... and how much more power you are making.... and now you are hitting 30+ psi at the strip..... but you haven't updated your sig to include a new best time......... Are you sure you aren't sandbagging? :eek:

...... or are you just laying for Norbs? :eek:

I'm out of turbo.. it doesnt make anymore power at 28 than it does at 25.. The times in my sig were done at Reynolds.. and the weather that day was absolutely a thing of Beauty.. I havent had a nice weather day here the last two months.. and had the track open at the same time.. 80 degree's and humid is what i'm working with.. soon.. :wink:

I need a 70 GTQ and hit it with some juice.. it will get'r done.. :eek:

I have Norbs in check :biggrin: