3800 Series II RWD vs. FWD

Jorceshaman

I did a search before posting, I know most forums dislike those who don't look first, with that said...I'm not seeing an answer to my precise question.

I want to know if it's possible, without modifications, to put a motor from a FWD '03 Buick LeSabre in a RWD '96 Firebird when both have a version of the 3800 Series II 3.8L V6.

If it is possible, would I have to also transfer the transmission from the Buick?

Any help would be appreciated, from what I've seen in other threads in my search...the people here are very friendly. Thank you!

The 3800 short blocks are the same. The F body used a unique intake manifold . A FWD trans won't work. You need a 4L60E from a 3800 Firebird or Camaro. It will have the right bellhouse pattern.

turbodave231, thank you for your answer! What I understand from your reply, the motor will work but if the trans is bad the one I have won't work as a replacement and would have to be the 4L60E?

The car I'm looking at buying just has a blown motor with everything else being good as far as I know.

you could use the fwd trans- if you wanted to do a lot of fabrication and wind up with what would probably be the the world's first fwd F body..

i know people put the fwd 3800 in rwd vehicles, so i can't see why it wouldn't work the other way.

Thank you all for all of your help! My dad is a mechanic and said he was pretty sure but not 100% sure that they were NOT interchangeable. I really want the '96 Firebird though so figured it was worth asking someone who may know a bit more. I personally know nothing about cars besides driving them. :(

Once again, THANK YOU!

I did a search before signing up for an account but the reason I didn't post my question there was due to "Supercharged" in the forum name. Neither of the motors I'm dealing with are supercharged so I went to general. I already received the answer to my question now. Thank you though.

Yes, The 4L60E is the only trans that is available with the correct bellhousing pattern for the 3800. All 3800's since 1988 share the same bellhouse pattern and mounting points. FWD and RWD 3800's are the same block. Only the bolt on accesories are different.

Thank you, I got the car now and my dad is going to be putting the new motor in soon. It's not the nicest car but I figured I would upload some pictures anyways.
CameraZOOM-20120214115949847.jpgCameraZOOM-20120214120003357.jpgCameraZOOM-20120214120019023.jpgCameraZOOM-20120214120030186.jpgCameraZOOM-20120214120056099.jpg