38mm External Wastegate

Channeled

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I figured I'd give it a shot. I recently blew up my 3.8 after a late night beating my friends Nova and it's time to rebuild (with better head gaskets this time). I had a T44 on the motor when it blew, running about 20 psi, but it might be time for a change. The car currently has a Terry Houston DP and an internal wastegate, I was looking for opinions on using one of the two Tial 38MM wastegates I have laying around for this build. The headers on the car are cracked and mis-matched and need to be replaced. Would it be worth it on a street car? I'm going with a stock bottom end, forged pistons, stock rods and a roller cam from Full Throttle. Looking for a fast street car that can continue to beat the brakes off of 5.0s and stock Camaros. Any ideas are appreciated.

I have been using the Tial 38mm gate for over 5 years on the street. Great reliable gate. You would be hard pressed to find any car that would stay with you on the street with a properly tuned te44 regal. I would keep the 44 for the street. I ran a te44 for some time on the street and the only issue I had was getting traction.

You don't list your current modifications, but I would put a alky kit on there from alkycontroll.com and turn the 44 up to about 25lbs of boost where it really wakes up the car. Also don't overlook a audible knock alarm for the street or track, when the extremely loud alarm goes off, lift of the go pedal asap, and you won't have to change head gaskets as often. I also run the Tial 38mm wastegate on my downpipe, good unit.

Chuck

I don't have a whole lot of mods in this car yet. I bought this car about a year ago and was just doing minor things to it until the headgaskets let go. I broke into the motor and found a set of NA headgaskets sitting on top of the block. There were several other problems discovered when I broke the motor down further. Now I'm putting a new block together to have a good solid foundation to tweak more. What header setup are you guys running?

I'm running stock, but would like to have a set of the new T/A headers in the future.

Chuck