3D Printing and my Grand National

As for strength and materials. The bezel above is made from black ABS. There is a wide range of materials from simple to complex. As for strength, these parts can be very strong by design and simply by the material choice. High temp, high strength materials can be used as well and I'm pretty sure they have been in the airplanes most of you fly on as end use parts!

Unpack the definition of high strength. The X and Y directions are strong. However if the printer doesn't weave the Z....not so strong unless we are talking compression. Orientation of part is critical when printing.

Interior t top trim. Always break around screw holes especially the trim on the T tops themselves. Triple guage pod would be sweet too.

4 hours for a horn bezel? Wow!
3rd printers seem to be lacking in speed.

Nice product though.

D

They print layers from 0.003"to 0.010" thick per pass. Even at a low resolution setting like 0.010", your looking at 100 passes per inch thickness...

Unpack the definition of high strength. The X and Y directions are strong. However if the printer doesn't weave the Z....not so strong unless we are talking compression. Orientation of part is critical when printing.

That is exactly true. Orientation plays a huge part on the strength of your part. Z direction strength is a week point in all 3D prints based on the fact that Z is the way the layers are built. There are methods however to strengthen Z after the built! Any 3D printing professional can address and arrest these concerns.

I'm in the dental industry and 3d printing has been around for a while for us. It's impressive the variety and complexity of the object that can be produced. There are new printers that are even printing metals. In the future I can see you designing an item on your computer, sending a file to a manufacturer then receiving your custom item in a few days. How cool would that be?

We use ours extensively for all "proof of concept" R&D projects. For field testing this process doesn't work so well. Depend on part complexity, have a part the next morning.

I'm in the dental industry and 3d printing has been around for a while for us. It's impressive the variety and complexity of the object that can be produced. There are new printers that are even printing metals. In the future I can see you designing an item on your computer, sending a file to a manufacturer then receiving your custom item in a few days. How cool would that be?

That is already the case! I do this everyday!

We use ours extensively for all "proof of concept" R&D projects. For field testing this process doesn't work so well. Depend on part complexity, have a part the next morning.

With a commercial grade machine, end use parts can be create and used as intended. You have to think outside the conventional box, like a toothbrush. I wouldn't print the toothbrush body and use it but I can print the injection mold and knock out 100 of these on one run and never pay for a CNC mold tool.

On the production side we use it for fixtures. These fixtures are like molds, for component holding.

Maybe I missed it, but are you selling the horn rings? I have interest if that is the case.

How about a console shift plate that would work with the B&M Prostick?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here is a pic of the bezel in place! Fasteners not all the way in, just a test print.

IMG_5575.JPG

Here is a pic of the bezel in place! Fasteners not all the way in, just a test print.

View attachment 252281
Don't know what you're planning as far as finish but it'd probably look real good to hit it with a base coat of textured paint and then top coat the correct shade of gray. Here is an example of a SEM textured trim paint that I found on another forum.

DSC01942.JPG

Don't know what you're planning as far as finish but it'd probably look real good to hit it with a base coat of textured paint and then top coat the correct shade of gray. Here is an example of a SEM textured trim paint that I found on another forum.

DSC01942.JPG
That looks great! I love it! I am going all black interior but I still like the texture paint idea.

Glad to see someone bringing 3D printing to our cars. This just opens up so many opportunities. There are different types and brands but the industrial printers can make some tough durable parts. The aerospace industry uses them a lot, every type of manufacturing and racing.
You honestly have to start thinking in totally new directions. Instead of can I make something? It becomes how to best make it.
I didn't know at this stage of my life I would end up working in Tech Support at Stratasys for both FDM and Polyjet. One builds with industrial polymers and the other with photo-resins. We have branches of the company which will take your design and print it in anything from wax to titanium.

I've see Strata system at the dental conventions. Serious accuracy. They are out of the price rangear of our 2 man lab though.