4.1 SFI TURBO hood emblems

jdpolzin

I will be building a 4.1 pretty soon. I think it would be cool to have someone make some hood emblems for us guys who have the 4.1.

Honestly, couldn't we just get 4.1 emblems made and splice them onto the SFI Turbo badges?

I saw them advertised on this board somewhere. If i remeber right they might have gotten discontinued. I'll do some looking for u and see if I can find them. I personally don't think they looked that great and the price was outrageous, something like 100 or more and that was on a closeout.

What about having them done n vinyl(sticker). I have a buddy that can do it. They'd be cheap too. Probly about $5 each

When you say "mistakes" what do you mean and how can it be made into a 4.1 badge? Definately interested. I was hoping to not have to piece them together but whatever works!

CTX-SLPR said:
so you would be asking $100 for the materials to make our own emblems?

No. These are complete 4.5 badges. I just offered up a solution.

CTX-SLPR said:
Honestly, couldn't we just get 4.1 emblems made and splice them onto the SFI Turbo badges?

When i got the 4.5 badges made i looked into getting injection molding made : 5500 for the die and 25 EACH to have the badges made. The way i had them made cost 3400 to have 100 made. I had about 25 badges worth of people stiff me.

usetaboost said:
I personally don't think they looked that great and the price was outrageous, something like 100 or more and that was on a closeout.

I wasnt out to make any money, just wanted the badges for my personal car.
As far as the looks, yeah they were not as deep as the stock badges , but the script is VERY close. Most people outside our circle cant even tell the diffrence.

I tell you guys what..ill ship one to anybody that wants one , if you dont like it, send it back, if you do, send the cash. Sound fair?

Still looks awesome either way and is a very cool idea!! Are there any vendors that might look into this for us???

jdpolzin said:
Still looks awesome either way and is a very cool idea!! Are there any vendors that might look into this for us???

They are already made........ I have about 50 left.

ijames said:
Hey Brian, did you take a look at http://www.protomold.com/ ? I haven't used them yet but maybe one day I'll give them a try.

Looks like the first plastic part is $1795.00 . Thats raw plastic and not chrome. I hope the prices come down after that.

The mold and the first 25 pieces are $1795 (for simple straight pull pieces up to 10 sq inches which this should be), and after that it is just whatever they charge to shoot the mold. They do cnc aluminum molds, good for 500 to a few thousand pieces. I'm sure the resin choice will affect the price, and like you say they need chrome plating too, but for a run of 100-500 pieces it sounds pretty reasonable per piece. If we ever have a need at work I will learn a lot more in a hurry :).

ijames said:
The mold and the first 25 pieces are $1795 (for simple straight pull pieces up to 10 sq inches which this should be), and after that it is just whatever they charge to shoot the mold. They do cnc aluminum molds, good for 500 to a few thousand pieces. I'm sure the resin choice will affect the price, and like you say they need chrome plating too, but for a run of 100-500 pieces it sounds pretty reasonable per piece. If we ever have a need at work I will learn a lot more in a hurry :).

Look into that idea.. i wouldnt mind having plastic 4.5 badges. I dont think this company was around when i had my batch made.

It looks like the first 25 , unchromed, will run 71 for each badge. I hope the price comes down fast after that. :confused:

jdpolzin said:
WOW, somebody could really make some money once they had the molds!

LOL....making money off the buick crowd is a hard road to travel. :)