4.3L build on a budget

DallasHellard

hey guys, i know cool aint cheap and cheap aint cool but i have a bored friend with some extra money and he wasnt me to build my first motor for him. i showed him Roadkills Rotsun with a turbo 4.3L. i work at a chevy dealer and a few guys here think the 4.3L stock internals wont hold 400hp very long. we have a few grand to put into the motor but i dont wanna build a one run wonder. i was hoping some of you would know were to locate some performance parts, crank, heads, intake, ect. or if you had any pointers on what can stay and what should go. thanks for any help and time.

hey guys, i know cool aint cheap and cheap aint cool but i have a bored friend with some extra money and he wasnt me to build my first motor for him. i showed him Roadkills Rotsun with a turbo 4.3L. i work at a chevy dealer and a few guys here think the 4.3L stock internals wont hold 400hp very long. we have a few grand to put into the motor but i dont wanna build a one run wonder. i was hoping some of you would know were to locate some performance parts, crank, heads, intake, ect. or if you had any pointers on what can stay and what should go. thanks for any help and time.
Im doing the same except 300-350 hp is fine with me...help

If interested I may know someone with some NEW blocks....if interested please message me and I will find out all the details.

ok, depending on budget and ability you can make those numbers pretty inexpensively in a turbo application. actually a stock syty bottom end will hold 400-450 with a good tuner and not have any issues. when building id go stock 88-93 roller non balance shaft block. balance shaft blocks are weaker due to less material in the block walls. stock crank is good to 650 reliably but have made 800 without breaking. stock block with 4 bolt mains and some block filling should be good to about the same. eagle h beams do well and carrillo makes a higher end I beam set. forged 350 pistons work for these motors je being strong, light and available off the shelf. a custom turbo cam is your best bang for the buck. stock head gaskets are plenty strong when used with arp hardware. use 96= vortec heads and have the stock intake modified to fit them. if I was building a budget motor, id use stock block with 4 bolt conversion, quarter fill, eagle rods, je pistons, custom cam (steve morris makes one) , eagle h beams, vortec heads(stock valves, no porting) , lower stock intake modified for vortecs, 60lb inj, turbo tweak chip, pte 62 or 63 turbo. can all be done on a budget if you can do the assembly, and you shop around for parts.

Well the best bet is some eagle Roda with trw forged pistons .....stress relieve the crank...you can use some arp studs on the stock main caps..

Then get some L35 heads with a next size up turbo ...then add in a tuneable chip and 400 HP with be very attainable and reliable ..

One other thing to think about is some alcohol injection ..