4.3L with 3.8L turbo parts??

86GN-862+2

Ok I'm just wanting to know what you guys think of this set up or if it is possible to have a great running engine if attempted. I realize there are some differences in the design of these two engine(4.3L vs 3.8L). I am confident in your engine buidling abilities and knowledge as to figure this one out. I have seen the 4.1L build up but please shed some light on this one for me:confused: I have not seen it and pardon me if this a repost.

How would you guys build a turbo 4.3L with BUICK parts? I know, I know. There are turbocharged 4.3's in the GMC truck but please humor me on this one. Your opinions are welcome.

Here is the lower CPI intake from a mid 90's CPI 4.3L engine. When doing this build up, I believe the buick's computer can still be used on the 4.3 along with fuel injectors and most sensors. Maybe there are marine exhaust manifolds that can be used for this set-up? Thanks!! JR

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2641/chikze.jpg

I think what you're asking is why Buick guys don't use a 4.3 V6 as a starting point rather than a 4.1 or a 3.8 right? Both the 4.1 and 3.8 are Buick engines and the parts interchange. The 4.3 is a Chevy engine and really doesn't share any common parts with the Buick V6's.

Neal

I think what you're asking is why Buick guys don't use a 4.3 V6 as a starting point rather than a 4.1 or a 3.8 right? Both the 4.1 and 3.8 are Buick engines and the parts interchange. The 4.3 is a Chevy engine and really doesn't share any common parts with the Buick V6's.

Neal

:) Some sensors are the same though they may be wired differently. they got TPS, knock, IAT, water temp, among others. As for the firing order on the Buick computer, one can just match it to the engine since they're both V-6 engines. They both employ similar throttle bodies and injectors for fuel delivery. Spark delivery is achieved with like components as well. All else turbo related can be added to the Chevy 4.3 just like one would do with the 4.1 Buick. All combustion engines work basically the same. One can use the LS1 MAF in Buicks with the aid of the translator(I think that's what it is called). Fuel injectors are even shared with Ford engines and GMC truck turbo 4.3 engines. I am just wondering if maybe anyone here has ever considered something like this in the search for more usable horsepower. You know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement". :D Thank you for your post.

There are several reason no one has thought about it. Not being mean but for Gods sake, it a Chevy and not a Buick. The two different designs work in different ways. Now if you had a set of the Chevy porcupine heads for it that might be a different story but with the stock design you still have a Typhone/Syclone engine. The only up grade for the Chevy is to get a Mercury Marine SFI intake and do all the work your self. Good luck but I don't see a reason why you'd even want to attempt it.

Other than the price, Why bother with a chev 4.3?:confused:

If displacement is what you're after, Buick V6's can be easily built as larger as 274 or 4.5L.

The Buick heads have much more efficient ports and combustion chambers and the engines are amazingly strong considering the factory horsepower rating. :biggrin:

Koolness! I just wanted to know what your take was on this. Usefull info is always welcome. Better than "no you can't" or "why bother if it is a certain brand" replies. I just want to possess more knowledge. Maybe in the future someone else will ask the same question and I will have an educated answer. I know Sy/Ty guys use vortec style heads as an upgrade for their engines and those heads are not intended for turbocharged purposes. True Buick engines are awesome but only depending on how much money one pours into them to get them there. Same goes for other brand engines. If this question offends anyone, that was was not my intention and please just don't reply to it if you don't have anything to teach me or anybody else who may have wondered the same thing.
Being a Newbie with turbo Buicks, I have found out mostly on my own how fuel injectors ARE interchageable among most engine makes for one. I have found the Buick exclusive wastegate solenoid was also found in turbo diesel trucks. That's why I ask. So I may learn more on the subject. Thanks to all for your replies!:D

you might have fun trying to find a camshaft sensor to use with the 4.3.

Don't some Buick guys use crank sensors instead of the cam sensor? I'm sure there is a way around that one.:p gut the 4.3 distributor and use the cam sensor parts to modify it. Maybe??

totally cheat.

find some manifolds that will allow you to mount a turbo in the chassis that you have, and run a Buick Turbo and a blow thru carb.

Done. Powerful. Cheap.

Simple American.

:biggrin: A.j.

:) Some sensors are the same though they may be wired differently. they got TPS, knock, IAT, water temp, among others. As for the firing order on the Buick computer, one can just match it to the engine since they're both V-6 engines. They both employ similar throttle bodies and injectors for fuel delivery. Spark delivery is achieved with like components as well. All else turbo related can be added to the Chevy 4.3 just like one would do with the 4.1 Buick. All combustion engines work basically the same. One can use the LS1 MAF in Buicks with the aid of the translator(I think that's what it is called). Fuel injectors are even shared with Ford engines and GMC truck turbo 4.3 engines. I am just wondering if maybe anyone here has ever considered something like this in the search for more usable horsepower. You know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement". :D Thank you for your post.

You're right. You should build a Chevy.

Neal

the typhoon engine was not a good engine and it the whole truck was discontinued 3 months after the last truck was built. gm couldnt do warranty work on them as there was no parts. the pistons kept shattering under boost and killing the engines.

the 4.3 engine is the 350 chevy with the middle cylinders cut off.

Anything can be done with a lot of time,some money and tools.You would have to study specs,configuration,ect...ect........

Step by step
1-remove spider injectors
2-place on concrete floor
3-get the biggest heaviest hammer you can safely handle
4-now take the hammer and swing it as hard as possible onto the spider injectors.

Now you are ready to start modding the 4.3
Good luck Dude

Is there a smackdown section in here? Let the hating begin:rolleyes: It was just a question don't get your undees in a wad. BUICK ROCKS!!!:tongue:
trash up this thread. There should only be Buicks in this imperfect world. :cool: :D

If I'm not mistaken the piston to crank angle of the two engines differs. The buick motor is built on a 90* angle and the chevy motor on a 60* . This creates a situation where the chevy with any power adders wants to push the crank out through the oil pan.

If I'm not mistaken the piston to crank angle of the two engines differs. The buick motor is built on a 90* angle and the chevy motor on a 60* . This creates a situation where the chevy with any power adders wants to push the crank out through the oil pan.

You're thinking of the2.8, 3.1, 3.4 liter engines not the 4.3. The 4.3 is a 350 Chevy with 2 cylinders cut off it.
Go to Fullthrottle forum and do a search. That's where I found out about the Mercury Marine intake. It takes normal style injectors so you can do more mods to it. As far as pistons you can get forged 350 flat tops or dished for very little money, but you do have to mod the insides slightly. I's possible but you really need one of the Chevy racing blocks and they're kinda hard to find.
Yes I have looked into this many years ago.:biggrin:

I reckon thats not right... the 4.3 is 90*

or do i need to lay off the wacky tabacky?

lol

I still say boost it with a carb.

:rolleyes: A.j.

Imo it wouldnt be worth it. Id just go with an LT1 if i was going to build an engine for turbocharged. The 4.3 turbo used int he typ/syc is not built to withstand the abuse a turbo could give it. They are fine for what they are nearly stock but dont detonate one or you will have expensive bills. If you want to go fast buy a complete engine 3.8 turbo engine with harness and read up oin here.

Is there a smackdown section in here? Let the hating begin:rolleyes: It was just a question don't get your undees in a wad. BUICK ROCKS!!!:tongue:
trash up this thread. There should only be Buicks in this imperfect world. :cool: :D

Relax
I love the 4.3 I had one with 275Kmiles and it was still going very very strong. I just have no love for the spider injector set up.
A local had a 4.3 with Nitrous and it was badassss.
I would like to actually build one for my car and pull the 3.8 out