4" exhaust

Someday, when I run numbers like yours, I hope I will be able to mess with 5" stuff. No toes hurt here. Brian

Efficiency is as, if not more, important at low HP levels as at high HP levels. Always look to optimize any system you're looking at to modify.

holy jesus that turbo is huge. Though I'm not sure thats how ricers do it. That fartcan? Now THATS a ricer move, but they dont know anything 'bout them turbos.
Was talkin to a good friend that is in the 'tuner' scene, about map/speed density and maf systems.. and how we can utilize the very nice LS1's mafs', and how we sometimes need em to flow up to 512 or 767 gr/sec worth of air, or how, when going to a speed density deal, we use 3 bar maps, and his eyes bulged out like saucers. WOW, THREE BAR MAPS?? lol. he finally understood what our cars do. He runs 8 lbs of boost, and thats alot of him. I told him around 19 is pretty average for the typical tr tuner, with 15 being the lowest, and around 23 the highest for typical street driven daily drivers, and I think he seen the light lol.
Moral of the story was, that most of their cars turbos, are actually really tiny, and that when they 'step up' to a 'bigger turbo' theyre usually still kinda small. They sure spool dam fast though lol, and are usually only good for 20-40 mph rolling 'showoff pulls' on the street. cuz anything after that, they cant breathe anymore lol. Thats ok, i give em credit though. At least theyre not sittin home playin video games. at least theyre turning wrenches and learning something.

PS: the further back you can place a muffler the better, the gasses shrink and slow as they cool.

All state laws are the same on the axle thing the only stipulation is the there be 12" of pipe after the muffler and must exit at the axle or to the side behind the rear window.
Also beg to dif on the flow thing with over the axle and dumped on my buddies car taking the tail pipes off (3.5" System) he picked up 22hp on the dyno at the rear wheels. This is do to less back pressuer do to a shorter distance. Also netted a noticabley faster turbo Spool up :D again do to less bp.
I also saw a gain on my old chevelle with dumps and no turbos I picked up 3/10th in the quater when we wacked the tails and went to dumps on a 3" true dual set up. BUSTED! Dump at the axle is better for performance :)

All state laws are the same on the axle thing the only stipulation is the there be 12" of pipe after the muffler and must exit at the axle or to the side behind the rear window.
Also beg to dif on the flow thing with over the axle and dumped on my buddies car taking the tail pipes off (3.5" System) he picked up 22hp on the dyno at the rear wheels. This is do to less back pressuer do to a shorter distance. Also netted a noticabley faster turbo Spool up :D again do to less bp.
I also saw a gain on my old chevelle with dumps and no turbos I picked up 3/10th in the quater when we wacked the tails and went to dumps on a 3" true dual set up. BUSTED! Dump at the axle is better for performance :)

:eek: All this time, I thought I had a good system. I'm going to run out a hack off my tail pipe, so I can run mid 9's. Brian

In 1997 Ford F150s had side exhaust that exited in front of the rear tires on the passenger side.

FWIW ..........

It has been written by one of the best engine buidlers ever;
Locating the tailpipe BEHIND the rear tire is one of the best kept HP secrets. :D
Of course, the bends etc would have to be right.

NICE pics/system!

dual 3" vs 4" single

That exhaust is beautifull ! good work! That got me thinking. Wouldn't dual 3" exhaust out flow a single 4"? I mean, dual 3" = total of 6" right?

That exhaust is beautifull ! good work! That got me thinking. Wouldn't dual 3" exhaust out flow a single 4"? I mean, dual 3" = total of 6" right?

I wouldn't think it matters much since it's not a true dual exhaust, you're never going to flow more than what you can fit through your downpipe anyway. Sure, two 3" pipes gives more space than a single 4", but it would take some serious horsepower to worry about which one flows more.

In 1997 Ford F150s had side exhaust that exited in front of the rear tires on the passenger side.

That's very true. However, the exhaust exited out the side of the box, beyond the cabin. Also, I'm sure Ford wasn't thinking this was going to be a race vehicle, and wan't concerned about blowing fluids onto the rear tire at full throttle. Besides, Im a GM guy!:)

Do you have a pic from behind the car how it exists? I would love to stuff that in my car but I don't think it would clear my Wolfe Bar.

We had dual 4 inch exhaust on Nelson Hernandez's twin turbo car back in 1996-1997ish. We built the whole thing out of mandrel bent pieces. There used to be some pictures of it on GNTTYPE, they're probably long gone. Ken Mosher took them, maybe if he sees this thread, he can see if he still has them.

We had dual 4 inch exhaust on Nelson Hernandez's twin turbo car back in 1996-1997ish. We built the whole thing out of mandrel bent pieces. There used to be some pictures of it on GNTTYPE, they're probably long gone. Ken Mosher took them, maybe if he sees this thread, he can see if he still has them.

Yeah, that set up was cool! Everyone always comented on it.

Verocious Motorsports. Do a google search. They are out of Maryland, and carry everthing from Aluminum, Stainless, straights, 45's, 90's, 180's, J bends, flanges, reducers, hangers, clamps, sylicone hoses, intercooler cores, ect. ect.. They are the most complete one stop shop I have ever dealt with. Brian