4 Post Lift for my garage: Any Experience or Recommendations

dougie

I'm thinking about putting a 4 post lift in my garage at home, so I can store both of my cars in my home garage for the winter.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? Thanks.

like what ?? :confused:

Attachments

• lift1.JPG
    lift1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 340
Any information on who makes a good one? Maybe any tips on features to look for, or to avoid. Members are usually pretty helpful in sharing experiences. I've seen some ads showing lifts that had collapsed. Hopefully no horror stories to share.

They make installation sound easy, but is it really? Any problems with the weight on a standard garage floor? Thanks for any and all comments.

One BIG caution...follow the manufacturers recommendation on minimum concrete thickness to the letter! Also, make sure concrete is not old and crumbling or oil-soaked (weak). I would strongly suggest having the manufacturer and/or distributor check the concrete AND install the lift. That way you have one party responsible for the whole job. If it falls, you (or your widow) and the family attorney will have a good strong case.
Conrad

BTW, the two post lifts scare the pooh out of me!

look in flee bay

for some variety, on brands, price, etc
I'm sure you will hear horror stories, but there is two sides to every story,
I've seen operators abuse a lift, (no wonder it failed) and cheap ones last a life time, so use your best judgement.
they are eazy to assemble, and install, especially if you order the caster kits.
watch the shipping costs!
post up your results,
thanks

I installed a Bend Pak 4 post lift in my shop about 4 years ago. Excellent quality and good safety features. No problems since day one.

2 Post Lift

I purchased a OH 8000 from here:
Greg Smith equipment sales offers quality automotive shop equipment at discount prices. Portable air electric hydraulic auto car lifts, motorcycle lifts, tire changers, wheel balancers and other automotive equipment. Tire changer and wheel tire balan

They offer 2 and 4 post lifts at a reasonable price.

I bought a two post lift and works great. With a two post you have a completly open floor area under the car which makes transmission changes easy. Also they work great for tire and brake work.

As for tipping the car is centered and balanced so it doesn't tip. The anchor bolts help keep it stable and keep it from tipping. It is very important to have strong concrete 3,000 psi min. They recommend 4 inches thick but I went with six inches plus. I feel safe while working under it.

If you live in the MD, DE, NJ or PA area you could visit their show room in Delaware. If you pick one up you save shipping and trere is no sales tax in Delaware.

Good luck in your decision.
Don

Kirban talked about the one his son researched for him, which he bought. You might want to email him and get his opinion. Do you get his inner circle emails?

No, I don't get Kirban's inner circle e-mails. How do I do that? It would be helpful to find out what his son learned. Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a 4 post. The other thing I want to do is heat my garage (Chicago area) It's a 3 car garage (soon to be four). I'm losing my winter storage for one of my cars, so this seems to be a good time to do it. Plus I can finally get off the cold concrete floor when I work under the car. At 52 years old it's getting harder to get motivated to get down there.

I am a GC (general contractor) and have extensive background in structual construction. My thoughts are I would NEVER trust a slab 4" 5"or 6" If you mount this lift, mark out sections were the structual point are cut concrete 2'x2' dig 8" to 10" post 56" down (depending on climate you live in but no less then 42") and you will NEVER have a problem you even could drill horizontal rebar to connect the slab and your post. It really wouldn't cost to much just LABOR. I hope this project works out just remember stronger is better

Chicago frost line Is 42" But I would go deeper like I said I live in Chicago also. When you finish I'll stop by so I can use your lift LOL.

I am in north burbs of chicago and i have a 4 post from greg smith. I just had my garage door modified to open closer to the ceiling so I can raise the car to the ceiling with out having to worry about the door hitting the car.
Works great now.

No, I don't get Kirban's inner circle e-mails. How do I do that? It would be helpful to find out what his son learned. Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a 4 post. The other thing I want to do is heat my garage (Chicago area) It's a 3 car garage (soon to be four). I'm losing my winter storage for one of my cars, so this seems to be a good time to do it. Plus I can finally get off the cold concrete floor when I work under the car. At 52 years old it's getting harder to get motivated to get down there.

Sign up for it from his website, on the left where it says innercircle. You can email him direct for more info on which lift he bought.
https://secure.mysuperpageshosting.com/kirbanperformance.com/index1.htm

I have a hard time even looking at a floor jack now. The only downside is that the buick spends most of the time 7+ feet in the air...

Is stability the only reason you want a four post?

Attachments

• DSCI0079.JPG
    DSCI0079.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 159
One reason I bought a 2 post lift is because it's easier to pull transmissions with a 2 post lift.

Picture060Medium.jpg

newpics021Medium.jpg