411 on Blow Through Carb on the street ?

KWIKR 1

anyone running a turbo blow through carb setup on the street ? likes and dislikes ? Thinking of going this route on a SBC twin turbo setup . I have done some research on the topic , and from what I gather they can work well on the street at a fraction of the cost vs EFI . :)

By late spring/early summer i plan on having a single turbo setup in a monty. If i get that far ill keep you posted.
Check out The Turbo Forums.com
Loads of information here, and great help too.

no one is running a blow throught setup on the street or know of any ? :)

Im running one on a twin turbo 408 dart SBC,CSU built the carb and its great,100% on and I have a dual FAST wideband to monitor it and all is good...I run the MSD BTM with a controll inside for timing retard that runs off vacuum,I run a Aeromtive 1000 with a fuel regulator that runs off vacuum..

Let me see,the good...Cheaper,easier to tune for me and I dont have to run F.A.S.T to go fast and I dont have to have anyone jump around inside my car after each pass trying to tune my car on a laptop..I wouldnt run a F.A.S.T system with fuel injection if someone gave it to me and hooked it up for free...I will never need help tuning as long as I have a screwdriver...

Bad- maybe not as good on gas,but when your running that kind of motor I doubt you really care....And when the weather changes,you have to adjust the air-fuel old school with a screw driver instead of the computer doing it..

My car put down 628 at the rear wheels @ 5200 RPM on 12psi..I have been to 20 PSI..We were running lean and I let out but it was instant power and it had alot more in it with just the 12 psi,I cant imagine what 25 psi would do once I add the methonal...Right now it does 45 MPH burn-outs on et streets with 5psi!!

Twinturbo2003.jpg

Twinturbo2005.jpg

VERY cool !!!!!! are you running a reg with a return (what size supply/return.....8/10 )? and do you have the dist "locked in" and just pull timing out with the MSD BTM ? and if so at what degree is it locked in ??? What size turbos ?? cam specs ? Heads ?

I plan on running a set of ARF 210 heads (competitioned CNC'd) with a ported Victor Jr , set of BB 67's turbos . My custom roller specs out to 238/232 @ .050" .570 lift/1.5 . I hope to see 750-800hp at the rear wheels on 94 octane on a safe tune if all goes as planned . should be a riot to drive on the street . :D

I agree 100% about the tuning vs EFI . It seems like a more simple approach IMO..I like "old school " :D . I can throw a rock and hit 10 guys that can tune a carb around here . But to find a person who "really" knows their stuff around this neck of the woods on how to set up a Fast DFI and tune ....forget it . I'm not about to trailer my car from Canada to the States to find someone .

Yes... I've done my research on the carb and CSU or C&S is the place to go . :)

This is the twin turbo kit I bought , less Turbos/Wastegates/BOV:

http://www.wrenchrat.com/

VERY cool !!!!!! are you running a reg with a return (what size supply/return.....8/10 )? and do you have the dist "locked in" and just pull timing out with the MSD BTM ? and if so at what degree is it locked in ??? What size turbos ?? cam specs ? Heads ?

I plan on running a set of ARF 210 heads (competitioned CNC'd) with a ported Victor Jr , set of BB 67's turbos . My custom roller specs out to 238/232 @ .050" .570 lift/1.5 . I hope to see 750-800hp at the rear wheels on 94 octane on a safe tune if all goes as planned . should be a riot to drive on the street . :D

I agree 100% about the tuning vs EFI . It seems like a more simple approach IMO..I like "old school " :D . I can throw a rock and hit 10 guys that can tune a carb around here . But to find a person who "really" knows their stuff around this neck of the woods on how to set up a Fast DFI and tune ....forget it . I'm not about to trailer my car from Canada to the States to find someone .

Yes... I've done my research on the carb and CSU or C&S is the place to go . :)

This is the twin turbo kit I bought , less Turbos/Wastegates/BOV:

Company | Wrenchrat

The return I used my existing/brand new 6-AN,it works fine....I used 10 to feed it..I have not locked it in yet,but plan on doing that soon as thats what Kevin @ CSU said woks best and at 36 degrees..

The turbos are 60-31E from a GN...I had a new one I got for $200 off a friend and matched it from Hartline for another $500,they are good for 550hp each I think? I closed off the puck and ran externals from godspeed for good cheap waste gates that work perfect..I had the headers made out of rollcage tubing and ran header adapters and had them jet coated and he also made the downpipes that run into electric cut-outs..

It has the 1000HP 2 into 1 intercooler that was like $400...The cam is a special Roller Comp Cams,292/286 with a 582 lift....The heads are Dart that were off my old motor just freshened up as they were hogged out big time to match my big Dart intake...The converter was built custom by Greg @ FTI..

Looks like a nice kit there,I got my Tial off craigslist for $100....Like I said my build was a poor mans build..

This is a blast to drive on the streets,I saved alot building my budget project and im 100% happy with everything about it...You will have a blast with it!

i ran a csu on my vega also. man you cant hardly beat a blow thru setup. honestly this fast setup i run on my t is a pain compaired to that blow thru setup.

i had 3500 buck in the whole turbo setup on this dude.that includes turbo,wastegate,headers,plumbing,carb,and bov. i used patriot tight tuck stainless headesr and flipped them. worked awesome for $349 stainless headers. sent in an old 750 that csu converted. bought a 91mm turbo that a buddy of mine found from some kind of disel genrator

opps ment to add a pic, also i did have my dist. locked out but i didnt have a timming master which hurt me on spoolup but i ran a 3 step with one on the footbrake for pre-stage spool and the second on the tbrake for the final.

Attachments

• blow thru vega.jpg
    blow thru vega.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,539
can you run it locked and still use the MSD-BTM to give you a timing curve and pull timing out on boost ?

i believe thats the way its really suppose to be done.then you just let the timing master do all of the timing control.when its locked open you dont have to get to 3500 or whatever spring combo you have before you get to full timing.its has the motor in the n/a power curve for the timing at all times until it sees boost. its full open when you your wide open when its not locked out anyway see what im saying? lockin it open just keeps from having to spin the dist. to a certain rpm before the armature opens full, its just always open

i believe thats the way its really suppose to be done.then you just let the timing master do all of the timing control.when its locked open you dont have to get to 3500 or whatever spring combo you have before you get to full timing.its has the motor in the n/a power curve for the timing at all times until it sees boost. its full open when you your wide open when its not locked out anyway see what im saying? lockin it open just keeps from having to spin the dist. to a certain rpm before the armature opens full, its just always open

interesting ....I guess this would be a advantage in low speed/low load (replacing the vacuum advanced) drivability. rather than having it locked and no timing curve control . being MORE important on a street driven car vs a race only car . am I thinking the right way on this ? back 20-25+ years ago when I was messing around with SBC and BBC , locking in a dist was unheard of on a street/strip car . so this is very new to me . :)

From what I was told is its not good to do on a normal or higher compression motor,not on the street at least...But with our low compression motor it actually works better locked...If you have CSU build the carb Kevin is allways a phone call away to answer any questions you or your tuner may have...

Mine is not locked in yet,but when we had a stumble before boost issue this was one problem it could have been but it was a lean issue in the rear...

Locking it just puts you where you need to be at full throttle and not have to worry about getting there at any rate with different springs...From there you can set the knob to pull out 1-3 degress of timing per pound of boost,I set mine at 1 1/2...

if we were not such low compression(mine is 8.5) it would run hotter on the street locked in...

A friend of mine just put together a 78 trans am bandit with a 530 cu in pontiac motor with a 106 mm turbo with a blow through set up on it-just got it running- no pics yet.

How do you change the air- fuel ratio with a screw driver? I thought you have to change the jets to change the air-fuel ratio on a carb?

Dennis

Im running one on a twin turbo 408 dart SBC,CSU built the carb and its great,100% on and I have a dual FAST wideband to monitor it and all is good...I run the MSD BTM with a controll inside for timing retard that runs off vacuum,I run a Aeromtive 1000 with a fuel regulator that runs off vacuum..

Let me see,the good...Cheaper,easier to tune for me and I dont have to run F.A.S.T to go fast and I dont have to have anyone jump around inside my car after each pass trying to tune my car on a laptop..I wouldnt run a F.A.S.T system with fuel injection if someone gave it to me and hooked it up for free...I will never need help tuning as long as I have a screwdriver...

Bad- maybe not as good on gas,but when your running that kind of motor I doubt you really care....And when the weather changes,you have to adjust the air-fuel old school with a screw driver instead of the computer doing it..

My car put down 628 at the rear wheels @ 5200 RPM on 12psi..I have been to 20 PSI..We were running lean and I let out but it was instant power and it had alot more in it with just the 12 psi,I cant imagine what 25 psi would do once I add the methonal...Right now it does 45 MPH burn-outs on et streets with 5psi!!

Twinturbo2003.jpg

Twinturbo2005.jpg

How do you change the air- fuel ratio with a screw driver? I thought you have to change the jets to change the air-fuel ratio on a carb?

Dennis

Well my idle A/F I can change and have to due to weather change with a screw driver...As far as the rest I have to pull the flathead out of the nutt driver and add a socket..
My carb came set allmost right on,I had to go up 1 size in the rears is all...

whose alky kit are you guys using on the blow thru set up? Im working on putting to gether a 109 motor going blow thru with a single turbo. wanna know whats out there and how easy it is to tune. It seems to me it would be different of blow thru then a EFI set up right???

whose alky kit are you guys using on the blow thru set up? Im working on putting to gether a 109 motor going blow thru with a single turbo. wanna know whats out there and how easy it is to tune. It seems to me it would be different of blow thru then a EFI set up right???

this kit tank/pump is a great idea and a few guys are running it on turbo blow thru and EFI/ with great results . the idea of the tank and pump is very cool IMO .

New Competition Trunk Mount Water Methanol Injection Systems - Yellow Bullet Forums

Attachments

• competition_campaign_1.jpg
    competition_campaign_1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 993
  • 2006_cobalt_1.jpg
    2006_cobalt_1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 973
  • comp_bottom1_lg.jpg
    comp_bottom1_lg.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 961
  • comp_front.jpg
    comp_front.jpg