4L80E conversion. Is it worth it?

It is what you get used to. It's also amusing to hear people talk like OD transmissions have been around since cars began driving on roads. Now you hear how a non OD trans will overheat, can't be driven on the highway, etc....yet all these T-400's, 350's and powerglides came from a production car somewhere.

The largest part is what YOU want from a trans. If you want to program it to shift automatically and have OD for 3hr interstate drives with the stock 3.42 gear, the 80e is a good yet more expensive choice.

I prefer the T-400 with a manual valve body myself. They are a cheaper trans, with a 3.23 rear gear and 28" tire they can run 70mph down the interstate, you can beat on it for years and I actually like the manual valve body and shifting it myself. I want to feel like I'm driving the car. Making a full throttle pass and having the trans shift itself is boring to me. I guess because I like driving a manual trans and shifting gears crosses over to the auto's I've owned. With a manual valve body you don't have to down shift, you can coast to a stop light, pull the shifter back into 1 and start over. Or if you don't like shifting gears, you can still run a vacuum modulator with an auto shift valvebody but I prefer the manual with a trans brake much more.

The Buick was the first car I owned with OD.. Lol Now a th350 with break and a 9.5 from twisted 6 racing going in it..

I am going 4L80e, just not sure if it will make it before the V6 is out of the car or not. That said everybody is suggesting that i also go with the 400. But to me that one time that I am on the Hwy in overdrive will make it all worth it.

Last edited:
Nice install. Do you have any pictures of the way it was installed? If so could you start a new thread with a how to so not to mess up this thread?

Unfortunately, I've done enormous amounts of fabrication and never really thought much about taking pictures along the way. Partly because I didn't have a smart phone/digital camera, but mostly because I never had anyone to share them with.:( I've only been on the forum for about 2 months now.

But, I do remember when I fitted the shifter, it was done with the console and shifter out of the interior and on a work table. A very steady hand with a Dremel was used to cut and massage the B&M supplied console to sit in the Buick factory one. A little latex caulk around the cut and some custom mixed (by me) interior grey spray paint finished it off.

Yep, we are gonna need you to start taking and posting pix.
Sounds like some mad skillz.

Did you mount the shifter to the floor or just the console? Is that a Mega hitter from b&m?

I may drive it about 100-200 miles depending on that weekend's trip. For example, Cotton's Performance is about 120 miles from me and I drive it there. Lebanon Dragway is about 150 miles and I drive it there also. But most of the time it's more about the amount of time I drive it. Sometimes, when the weather is nice, I like to drive it nearly all day!

I thought I would hate shifting it. I probably would if it weren't for the B&M Ratchet Shifter. I don't hate it. I actually love it. And I got the shifter to work perfectly in the console. (see picture below)

Heat does not build much on steady cruising. But it does build quickly under load. When that happens I turn on the fan up front. And then I turn on the Tildon pump. This helps by circulating the fluid from the pan to another cooler out back. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Just the flip of a switch. A few minutes later and the fluid is at 170 degrees again.:cool:

Oh, and the pot-holes............:arghh:View attachment 249376

That's a nice design. One day when you have a minute if you could start a new thread like Pronto suggested would be great. Would like to know the details. Thanks for the info.