500+HP and the big BANG!

Originally posted by bruce
Just a few ideas.

If you go to the expense of building a hot rod GN, then everyone should be running a WB, and AN EASY TO SEE DISPLAY. There's just no reason not too. If this isn't a clear case of justifing the $200 or $400 for one, I'm at a lose to understand why.

And relying on EGT is just as bad as relying on just a WB.
Why?.

My Gen7 has knock control, Wideband, and the ability to see AFR via dash mounted gauge.

Some of you may know (Bruce in particular) that I did obtain a DIY Wide Band Oxygen Sensor monitoring kit, that unfortunately didn't work correctly when powered up. I was aware that I was lacking this important tuning tool. Because the kit had not yet been repaired, I chose to use a DynoJet with wide band monitoring capabilities to make a check of my A:F ratios.

I have a 2-channel EGT datalogger. I am moving in the right direction with data monitoring. :)

Some of you may know that I've gone the "next step" for fuel management...but it was to be installed once I saw what HP I could make with the current setup.

At this point, a few hundred dollars in more monitoring equipment doesn't sound like such a bad thing, considering. :rolleyes:

I dunno Scott, just the fact that you've been thru more head gaskets than tanks of gas would make me wonder whats up with the tune.....

Like I said before, if you need a trans core, or (although I really want to save it) a known good long block.....let me know

Maybe you'll ditch that TEC thingy and get a Gen7 or FAST now?

Time for a stupid question? Is the Gen7 the lastest version of the DFI system? Is their a web site that gives the details - cost - difficult to tune with?

Thanks in advance

The one thing you guys did not think about is load .I have dynoed every type of car and the dyno is very forgiving you can get away with things that would blow up a car on the street . The egt will vary with timming but the dyno is spinning just the rollers so your car will not see the same load as a pass . The dyno pull last a few seconds your in high gear alot longer than that unless you going 8 seconds. Think about this way the longer the pass the higher the egt will get but on the dyno the pull is only a few seconds the afr is the way to go but remember to richen it after you make your pulls.

Sorry to see that Scott.

Crank was probably cracked long ago and finally gave in. Failure did not result from the actual dyno pulls IMHO, just the straw that broke the camels back.

Good luck putting it back together and I/we understand your pain.

Originally posted by CPAKCP
Time for a stupid question? Is the Gen7 the lastest version of the DFI system? Is their a web site that gives the details - cost - difficult to tune with?

Thanks in advance

I love my Gen7. Easy to tune and the only system that I have seen that the start up program will start the car and be drivable on the first try. If you have a question just hit the F1 key and pow all the info that you need to know. I wore the phone out with the FAST system as they did not supply enough info with the system to even load the program disk. Not to mention all the bells and whistles that come standard with the GEN7. I sold my FAST and waited longer than I wanted to for the Gen7 but it was worth the wait.

ACCEL DFI Gen 7+

Originally posted by Scott231
The Accel DFI Generation 7+ is THE MAC DADDY of affordable fuel management systems right now.

DITTO THAT X 1000!! :)

From the ACCEL site:====================

Feature: Water-resistant enclosure and main harness connections offer options in mounting location for the Gen VII Electronic Control unit.

Benefit: Can be mounted in the passenger compartment or under hood.

Feature: New electronic circuitry design with noise-hardened protection

Benefit: Each circuit is protected against damage caused from short circuits or wiring that rubs through the insulation in the harness, eliminating costly repairs and keeping the smoke inside the ECU where it belongs.

Feature: All-new CALMAP 2002 PC windows-driven calibration software

Benefit: Provides fast, user-friendly access to all fuel and ignition related tables

Feature: Software Selectable Ignition Compatibility eliminates the need to have your ECU modified by the factory because of ignition upgrades . The Gen VII ECU can understand and process signals from GM HEI and Opti-Spark Ignitions, Ford Thick Film Ignitons, Fixed Advance Magnetic Pick-up ignitions, (both Flying Lug and Flying Magnet), and Fixed Advance Hall-Effect ignitions.

Benefit: Possibly more important, if your Gen VII controlled LT-1 is having troubles, there is a way to check if your Gen VII ECU is related to the troubles. It is possible to borrow a Gen VII ECU from your buddy's Mustang, use CALMAP 2002 to download your entire LT-1 calibration into his Gen VII ECU, and now you have another ECU that will run your LT-1.

Feature: New Volumetric Efficiency-based fuel tables

Benefit: Offers increased resolution and control. Volumetric Efficiency tables can be adjusted a single point at a time, a portion at a time, or completely increased or decreased by a percentage with a few strokes of CALMAP 2002 software. This vastly improves time needed to calibrate your Volumetric Efficiency map. (Volumetric Efficiency maps are the main fueling tables in CALMAP 2002).

Feature: CALMAP 2002 offers a Volumetric Efficiency (Main Fueling Table) Estimator.

Benefit: This function allows the starting point of your Volumetric Efficiency table to be calculated by CALMAP 2002.

Simply answer the questions CALMAP 2002 asks you about your engine, and CALMAP 2002 will give you a calculated Volumetric Efficiency Table as your starting point.

No more "wild guesses" to determine start-up fueling.

Feature: Software Selectable Fuel Injection Modes.

Benefit: With CALMAP 2002 the Gen VII ECU can fire the fuel injectors in the following modes. Sequential, Bank-to-Bank, Batch, or Staged Batch. Sequential is only recommended if the Gen VII ECU is provided with a cam position signal.

Feature: In Sequential mode, CALMAP 2002 allows the adjustment of fuel injector timing in relation to cam position.

Benefit: Increased power output, lower emissions, and improved driveability.

Feature: Individual Cylinder Fuel Trim is possible in all modes of injector operation.

Benefit: This function is used to compensate for intake manifold distribution inadequacies, poorly matched injectors, or a combination of both.

Feature: Gen VII has Self Diagnostic Capability with a provision for a Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Benefit: CALMAP 2002 will display what the trouble code is and what action the Gen VII ECU is taking because of the trouble being sensed. A Malfunction Indicator Lamp can also be incorporated which will flash the number of the trouble code.

Feature: Every Gen VII ECU has the capability of operating up to 3 stages of Nitrous Oxide.

Benefit: Gen VII can calculate the amount of fuel enrichment for each stage, and allows the end user to trim fuel enrichment and ignition timing retard throughout the RPM range that the nitrous will be energized.

Feature: New graphical "on-line" high-speed data recording for up to 30 minutes of data recovery.

Benefit: Data recordings can be replayed in real time, can be stepped through point by point, and can also be replayed in the Volumetric Efficiency table.

Feature: Every Gen VII ECU has internal altitude sensing and compensation capability.

Benefit: This function improves power, driveability and fuel economy on vehicles when they are driven to different altitudes.

Feature: "Wide Band" O2 capability.

Benefit: This option allows closed loop control at all conditions and allows the end user to select the air/fuel ratios that are desired at different rpm/load points.

Feature: Gen VII offers two separate rev-limiters. One is an ignition rev-limiter, the other is a fuel shut-off rev limiter.

Benefit: The ignition rev-limiter can be wired through a trans-brake or line-lock button to act as a starting line rev-limiter. Both rev-limiters are adjustable in 50 rpm increments.

Feature: CALMAP 2002 offers "Help" screens.

Benefit: If a user is unsure of a screen they are looking at, they can simply push the F1 key and a verbal description of the screen being viewed will appear.

The Gen 7+ System not only provides precise control of all aspects of fuel delivery and ignition timing, but also offers features and benefits that have never been available from a programmable engine management control system before.

This system provides enhanced idle air control including preset control values for most engine combinations, and improved fueling control for street and race applications.

The 2003 Gen 7+ System provides crisper or heightened throttle response for single and multiple throttle body induction systems, improved cold weather start-up, and enhanced communications for faster program file uploads and downloads.

Other features include enhanced knock control, enhanced acceleration enrichment management, and improved O2 control for Wide Band and Standard Feedback Systems.

wow, sorry to hear that scott.

neat pics.

good luck rebuilding it and let me know if i can help.

Originally posted by Scott231
In order to get the TSM car ready for the Morocco event, I took FAST V6 down to the dyno at Competition Motorsports in Cincinnati with Lonnie Diers for some "real tuning." The engine setup was the same that I had been running for years with the exception of aluminum heads, 72pph injectors (up from 52s) and Cometic head gaskets. Mind you I have been beating on this stock block with stock internals for almost 10 years now.

First pull netted just under 500HP with 23psi boost and a quite-lean air:fuel ratio (like a maximum of 13.5:1) burning straight C-16.

On the Second pull I added another 4% fuel (which I found out later added 15HP) but at ~5,700 the engine stumbled, made a Bang! and died...then bolts started falling out of the engine compartment...and then a much-larger-than-usual oil leak started dripping.

The ensuing conversation went something like this:
"What happened?"
"I think I just blew an engine"
"Sounded like a timing chain let go"
"Where's all that oil coming from?"
"Where them bolts coming from" ... you get the idea?!

I hit the starter and with a valve cover breather off, we could see the valve train wasn't moving. As such, we figured it was the chain. Upon dissasembly, things took a turn for the worse.

I am of the opinion that the RJC Engine Girdle contained the mess as much as possible. It could have been worse. See the details
<<HERE>>
-you are now not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ryan@ryanfoxmosley.com-

Re: ACCEL DFI Gen 7+

Two lane have you actually tried any aftermarket Engine Management system, or are you assumming that since they put it in a sales brochure or on a website, that it actually applies to our cars and actually does work better? I mean I expect their website to say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am curious as to who is actually using it on our cars and what kind of success their have had. I hear plenty of success stories with F.A.S.T. but not many if any about Gen VII

Just curious.

Sully

Originally posted by Two Lane
DITTO THAT X 1000!! :)

From the ACCEL site:====================

Feature: Water-resistant enclosure and main harness connections offer options in mounting location for the Gen VII Electronic Control unit.

Benefit: Can be mounted in the passenger compartment or under hood.

Feature: New electronic circuitry design with noise-hardened protection

Benefit: Each circuit is protected against damage caused from short circuits or wiring that rubs through the insulation in the harness, eliminating costly repairs and keeping the smoke inside the ECU where it belongs.

Feature: All-new CALMAP 2002 PC windows-driven calibration software

Benefit: Provides fast, user-friendly access to all fuel and ignition related tables

Feature: Software Selectable Ignition Compatibility eliminates the need to have your ECU modified by the factory because of ignition upgrades . The Gen VII ECU can understand and process signals from GM HEI and Opti-Spark Ignitions, Ford Thick Film Ignitons, Fixed Advance Magnetic Pick-up ignitions, (both Flying Lug and Flying Magnet), and Fixed Advance Hall-Effect ignitions.

Benefit: Possibly more important, if your Gen VII controlled LT-1 is having troubles, there is a way to check if your Gen VII ECU is related to the troubles. It is possible to borrow a Gen VII ECU from your buddy's Mustang, use CALMAP 2002 to download your entire LT-1 calibration into his Gen VII ECU, and now you have another ECU that will run your LT-1.

Feature: New Volumetric Efficiency-based fuel tables

Benefit: Offers increased resolution and control. Volumetric Efficiency tables can be adjusted a single point at a time, a portion at a time, or completely increased or decreased by a percentage with a few strokes of CALMAP 2002 software. This vastly improves time needed to calibrate your Volumetric Efficiency map. (Volumetric Efficiency maps are the main fueling tables in CALMAP 2002).

Feature: CALMAP 2002 offers a Volumetric Efficiency (Main Fueling Table) Estimator.

Benefit: This function allows the starting point of your Volumetric Efficiency table to be calculated by CALMAP 2002.

Simply answer the questions CALMAP 2002 asks you about your engine, and CALMAP 2002 will give you a calculated Volumetric Efficiency Table as your starting point.

No more "wild guesses" to determine start-up fueling.

Feature: Software Selectable Fuel Injection Modes.

Benefit: With CALMAP 2002 the Gen VII ECU can fire the fuel injectors in the following modes. Sequential, Bank-to-Bank, Batch, or Staged Batch. Sequential is only recommended if the Gen VII ECU is provided with a cam position signal.

Feature: In Sequential mode, CALMAP 2002 allows the adjustment of fuel injector timing in relation to cam position.

Benefit: Increased power output, lower emissions, and improved driveability.

Feature: Individual Cylinder Fuel Trim is possible in all modes of injector operation.

Benefit: This function is used to compensate for intake manifold distribution inadequacies, poorly matched injectors, or a combination of both.

Feature: Gen VII has Self Diagnostic Capability with a provision for a Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Benefit: CALMAP 2002 will display what the trouble code is and what action the Gen VII ECU is taking because of the trouble being sensed. A Malfunction Indicator Lamp can also be incorporated which will flash the number of the trouble code.

Feature: Every Gen VII ECU has the capability of operating up to 3 stages of Nitrous Oxide.

Benefit: Gen VII can calculate the amount of fuel enrichment for each stage, and allows the end user to trim fuel enrichment and ignition timing retard throughout the RPM range that the nitrous will be energized.

Feature: New graphical "on-line" high-speed data recording for up to 30 minutes of data recovery.

Benefit: Data recordings can be replayed in real time, can be stepped through point by point, and can also be replayed in the Volumetric Efficiency table.

Feature: Every Gen VII ECU has internal altitude sensing and compensation capability.

Benefit: This function improves power, driveability and fuel economy on vehicles when they are driven to different altitudes.

Feature: "Wide Band" O2 capability.

Benefit: This option allows closed loop control at all conditions and allows the end user to select the air/fuel ratios that are desired at different rpm/load points.

Feature: Gen VII offers two separate rev-limiters. One is an ignition rev-limiter, the other is a fuel shut-off rev limiter.

Benefit: The ignition rev-limiter can be wired through a trans-brake or line-lock button to act as a starting line rev-limiter. Both rev-limiters are adjustable in 50 rpm increments.

Feature: CALMAP 2002 offers "Help" screens.

Benefit: If a user is unsure of a screen they are looking at, they can simply push the F1 key and a verbal description of the screen being viewed will appear.

The Gen 7+ System not only provides precise control of all aspects of fuel delivery and ignition timing, but also offers features and benefits that have never been available from a programmable engine management control system before.

This system provides enhanced idle air control including preset control values for most engine combinations, and improved fueling control for street and race applications.

The 2003 Gen 7+ System provides crisper or heightened throttle response for single and multiple throttle body induction systems, improved cold weather start-up, and enhanced communications for faster program file uploads and downloads.

Other features include enhanced knock control, enhanced acceleration enrichment management, and improved O2 control for Wide Band and Standard Feedback Systems.

Re: Re: ACCEL DFI Gen 7+

Originally posted by V6 Beast
Two lane have you actually tried any aftermarket Engine Management system, or are you assumming that since they put it in a sales brochure or on a website, that it actually applies to our cars and actually does work better? I mean I expect their website to say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am curious as to who is actually using it on our cars and what kind of success their have had. I hear plenty of success stories with F.A.S.T. but not many if any about Gen VII

Just curious.

Sully

Sully, Tony Gomes has run 8.53 @164mph with his 3550lb S2 GN and he uses the DFI Gen7+ (tuned by Job Jr. Spetter of Turbo People).... His car is the fastest car in the TSO (Turbo Street Outlaw) class and he also currently has the second fastest stock suspension GN/G-body:) :cool:

How's that for success?:D

The TSM car of Lonnie Diers also runs the Gen 7+. There will be more Gen 7 cars next year, for sure.

I also know a guy that runs a twin-turbo V8 Camaro in the 6-second zone. He used to be full on turbo buick guy. Lawrence Conley.:)

Re: Re: Re: ACCEL DFI Gen 7+

Originally posted by 86brick
Sully, Tony Gomes has run 8.53 @164mph with his 3550lb S2 GN and he uses the DFI Gen7+ (tuned by Job Jr. Spetter of Turbo People).... His car is the fastest car in the TSO (Turbo Street Outlaw) class and he also currently has the second fastest stock suspension GN/G-body:) :cool:

How's that for success?:D

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that there have been and will continue to be many many success stories about people using Gen VII. I am just trying to figure out if the guy that said he agreed with someone elses statement 1000 times over, had actually seen it, or was just basing his opinion on Sales Material he cut and pasted from Accel's website. I just think that if some says something is a 1000 times better than anything else on the market, he should be armed with something more that Accel's sales information, but that is just my opinion.

I didn't know Tony was running it. I thought he ran F.A.S.T. Tony also has the record for the biggest hole in the side of a stage motor that I have ever seen, but when you run at his level bad Sh*t can happen very quickly. Anyone hear from Tony since Reynolds? Is the rebuild going to be even badder than it was before?

Sully

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACCEL DFI Gen 7+

Originally posted by V6 Beast
Tony also has the record for the biggest hole in the side of a stage motor that I have ever seen, but when you run at his level bad Sh*t can happen very quickly. Anyone hear from Tony since Reynolds? Is the rebuild going to be even badder than it was before?

Sully

Yeah I heard that a rod bolt might have let go which caused the hole in the motor..... As you said sh!t happens and that's just part of racing! I hope Tony gets her back up and running again cause that baby was haulin' ass and the best part is he still has a working A/C:D :cool:

that was D!ck Kereny here in Phoenix, and yes, it has a steel crank and FAST (135.7 mph)

you won't see him in TSM, the TA motor will go in soon................and I am sure he won't be happy with 9's...........

While getting the new motor put together, installed, etc. I found another broken piece. The starter looks like it tried to split in half! Just another reason for proper tuning, safety parts, and common sense.

I have plenty of pics of the new mill and will gladly post a selection at some point once I am up and running. Oh, and yes, it's going to the dyno before it ever sees a dragstrip this time. :D