You can type here any text you want

5w20 oil too light??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

im4darush

Is 5w20 too light in a factory short block with 36k miles? Florida weather too!! Current oil pressure is 20 at hot idle and about 60-65 when cold. Someone recomended it to me, and I just cant see the benefit. Thoughts?

You need about 12 psi per 1000 rpm. Ive noticed issues at higher rpm with the stock pan and very light oils. The oil pressure would twitch a little bit which would indicate some cavitation. Ive been using 15-40 in hot weather wit hno problems

Is you engine and set-up close to stock? 10w-30. ZDDP additive

5w-2/30

Depending on what you are doing (?), determines your upper number choice. If you are not getting to the higher sump temps, it makes little sense to use higher viscosity oil.
Oil numbers have changed over the years. I've been running 5W-20 in my pickup for years and only run 5W-30 when the weather gets hot (90+).
In the Fulton we only run 5W-30, it is preheated before a pass. Royal Purple BTW.
After a season, looked at the bearings and crank, looked like they were just installed.
Out in West Texas running plus speeds in the middle of summer between Van Horn and El Paso I'd be using a 5W-40

Back