600hp at 25PSI.. how do I get more traction

PimpinAintEz347

turbo member
I live in Houston, Texas and I never have a problem beating any car. I have only lost one race do to an SES light. I got 18 wheels right now, but I don't want to use the sticky's b/c I like to save them for the track. I was wondering if I could still use the same amount of boost or should I turn it down to get more traction. My tires sometimes spin after I have already taken off. I know I lose a lot of time on the street when they spin, and I would like to know if anyone could give a pointer.

I would say either turn down the boost or learn to ease into the throttle more (which is really hard, I know)

Ya its hard

Ya its pretty tricky to ease into the throttle. I mean, you have to do it very smoothly to get a powerfull jump. I'm just not that skilled yet (I'm 16 and just bought my GN 6 months ago).

Just curious, how did you get that 600 hp number? Is that dyno proven? If so, at the flywheel or real wheels, ASE Parasitic or not?

horsepower?

hey, the kid is 16, unless his dad owns Exxon/Mobil, i doubt he has a 600 horse GN. i could be wrong...been wrong before, but i think he just has a bit of torque on his hands. :confused: i want to be his friend if he has such a car. please?

My dad loves me. Actually, my dad has a GN of his own, and he bought it back in '91. It's basically stock, with a few mods (injectors and filter), but he wanted me to get the best GN availabe (considering location factor as well). No, my dad doesn't own Exxon. Just incase you really cared. If you reallly care, my car has around 580..

Not to start a flame war, but is that dyno tested horsepower? 580 is a really high number, unless it is twin turbo or running a whole lot of silly gas.

Is 580 really such a high number for GN owners to grasp? I know a kid with a WS-6 with a 150 shot of spray who can do as much as me. He can't beat me though! Yes, it has been dyno tested, and I have the slip to prove it. Just because I'm a kid shouldn't mean I can't own a evil GN. :D And don't worry, no offense taken at all. I will be going to the Sealey track down in Houston to race on the 1/8 track (ya) with the Houston Buick Club vs (of course) Ford and Chevy. I wonder who is going to win this one?

V-6 power

ez,
so you still haven't told us what you turned in the 1/8th or 1/4 mile? this will tell us if you have the 580 ponies under the hood. don't forget to attach a pic of the timeslip....LOL. u know everyone is going to want to see it. hang in there, we'll believe you sooner or later. i had a fast 1969 AMX with a 400 small block chevy when i was a youngin'. :D

600 hp is a little hard to swallow since these things make gobs of torque and not hp. I think thats why someone asked if you had twin turbos b/c if you notice 1/4 times with these cars have lower mph than other cars running similar times dut to the torque. I'm not saying it isn't possible but just odd. What modifications do you have? turbo, intercooler, cam, heads? Just curious, not calling BS.

11.2 @ 117 doesn't sound like a traction problem to me.

To get such a good ET at such a low mph would take a 1.4 60 ft minimum. Traction problems would be 123+ for an 11.2.

horsepower?

ungn,
the kid said his car had 580 horse. he has some type of problem if he's only running 11.2. i would hope to be running low 10's with that kind of power on tap. i think my monte only has 400 (if that) and i'm running 12.8. what do u think?
hey EZ, maybe you only have 500 horse on tap. ;)

Ok. I come here to ask for help, not to be riducled on what everyone "thinks" my horses are. I know what my car has, and I know what it can do...sorta. All I wanted was help, but it seems to me like ppl are out just to prove my damn hp number wrong. It surprises me that ppl can't accept that I have 580 hp..(around 600 with out a cat and a screen on which are on now) and that it runs low 11's. What is so hard to believe about that? Different cars preform better (or worse) than others at different horses.
For the other person who asked what I had in my car... heres just a small portion. TE-54 turbo, front mount intercooler ($800), 50 injectors, 70mm throttle body, 9in KenBell filter, 3in down pipe, water-alcohol injection system, aluminum heads...ect. I haven't tested in the 1/8 mile, but I'm going with the Houston Buick Club in a few weekends to. I will let everyone who cares know. And when I mean traction, I dont have a problem on the track. I was talking more about (street racing). (I dont have my slicks on when I'm on the street though).

traction

EZ,
i'm just busting your chops a little. with a name like "pimpinaint'ez" u might tend to get passed off as somewhat incoherant. know what i mean? as for your car...it will never get hooked up on the street with radials and the HP number u talk of. my Monte has the indicated number and even tapping the gas to 3,000 will boil the stock-o tires (i leave the stock rims and tires on the for the full sleeper effect...ah ha ha ha [evil laugh]). get it?
unless you can feather the gas like a mutha' and wave a magic wand, you won't or shouldn't hook up with regular radial tires. on the other hand, if you have a set of street Yokahoma's with a 180 traction rating, then....only then will u hook after spinning a little. my friend (works F&I for a HUGE Ford store) has a little nasty V-8 Fiero GT and uses these tires for the street with good results. OK? later EZ! ;)

There are things that you "could" do to hook better on the street than you do now but you will prolly sacrifice the performance on the track. It all depends how bad you want it and what type of mods you're willing to do..

ks:)

Guys, this kid doesnt have a 580hp GN. He has just been reading the board to see what mods are good. If you have a slow GN, thats ok man, you will get there. But you dont have a low 11 second 580 hp GN. Id be willing to bet on it. Can I see a picture of under the hood?

Oh and one more thing Pimpn....

When you put it to the floor it spins bad and then hooks up about 20 feet out right? With 18" wheels I cant see you getting any traction anyway.

I can rip the drag radials at 50mph just by mashing the gas and leaving rubber for 50 feet. My car went 11.30@117 with a 1.64 short time. Roughly 430hp.