You can type here any text you want

60ft times foot brake vs trans brake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
I have been noticing some trans brake cars that IMHO don't seem to 60 as good as some foot brake cars. Have 2 friends with stage right brakes but they only out 60 my car with 8# or so launches. One car we used the same slicks the same day and we both left @6# and I did 1.61 and he did high 1.6. He has a TE63 but 3500 stall and I have a 2800 9x11 I now pulled a 1.65 @0 boost and 2800rpm I have entertained a trans brake but broken axles etc makes me nervous:) Or would a TR6 using the 2 step help the 60s out a lot.
Just thinking outloud and looking for some before/after experiences...

If the suspension is right and the car is staged as shallow as possible a trans brake will usually provide the best 60'. A mechanically actuated transbrake is way less than ideal for consistency though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are at least 4 of us footbraking launching with 1.5 or better on drag radials. You should be able to launch with boost and get a 1.5. I can hold 10+ lbs of boost at the line. I use the powermaster, another uses hydraboost and another uses vacuum booster. So it can be done with all brakes if they are set up right.

I have been noticing some trans brake cars that IMHO don't seem to 60 as good as some foot brake cars. Have 2 friends with stage right brakes but they only out 60 my car with 8# or so launches. One car we used the same slicks the same day and we both left @6# and I did 1.61 and he did high 1.6. He has a TE63 but 3500 stall and I have a 2800 9x11 I now pulled a 1.65 @0 boost and 2800rpm I have entertained a trans brake but broken axles etc makes me nervous:) Or would a TR6 using the 2 step help the 60s out a lot.
Just thinking outloud and looking for some before/after experiences...
60ft times are reflective of power applied and traction.so when a transbrake combo deep stages and load up 20psi on you and you footbrake 6psi on the leave that's where you get smoked.within the 60ft if both cars are leaving at similar low boost levels the car that spools up faster and climbs up the rpm range faster usually gets moving earlier.higher boost launches can be attained on the footbrake but either way I think your asking for trouble without axles and posi

I would not even think about a transbrake in the 1.6 60ft range.ebrake the car on a good tire and leave on bigger boost

I consider myself a track newb still. However I'm able to easily pull 1.55 - 1.54 60' times with footbrake, 2 step, powermaster, 4 long shoes, 7/8" bore wheel cylinders, and ET Streets and that was only around 5-6psi boost and the tires didn't even think about moving. 121-122 mph power at full weight. I dont at all consider my setup optimized. More seat time, and more dialing with the 2-step, as well as alcohol disable and I think I could get it lower.

That being said I plan to use an electronic T-brake some day :)

Last edited:
I would not even think about a transbrake in the 1.6 60ft range.ebrake the car on a good tire and leave on bigger boost
I have been ebraking since 93:) I am gonna sneak up on the boost launches. Planning on axles and rear girdle real soon. I hope to give my 255MTs all they want.(y)

I don't have a problem getting 1.5** 60ft times coming off the foot brake with a powermaster, 4 long shoes, 7/8" bore wheel cylinders, and ET Street radials. I shoot for 5-6 pounds of boost.

If your suspension and shocks arent set up right, it makes it harder to get traction off a transbrake especially with a radial. My car 60's 1.26 to 1.28 off the footbrake.
The cutlass with nothing done to the suspension other than an airbag has been 1.34 off the footbrake. Both on 275 Radial pros.

If your suspension and shocks arent set up right, it makes it harder to get traction off a transbrake especially with a radial. My car 60's 1.26 to 1.28 off the footbrake.
The cutlass with nothing done to the suspension other than an airbag has been 1.34 off the footbrake. Both on 275 Radial pros.
Any LCA and USA bracing done? Do you think the airbag was worth adding?

The only suspension mods I have are ATR rear bar and hollow IROC 36mm front bar and cheapest replacement shocks from NAPA.

I have been ebraking since 93:) I am gonna sneak up on the boost launches. Planning on axles and rear girdle real soon. I hope to give my 255MTs all they want.(y)
28spline and posi with attention to the rear brakes and it's fun time:D

Rear brakes are rebuilt with 4 long shoes and new wheel cylinders, my air bag bit the dust a few years back but I have a new one ready to go in.

Back