6262 jb turbo

rumcayman

HELP!!! I have a stock block 87 t type and i want to upgrade to pt 6262 journal bearing turbo,what else would i need to change for max performance,can i get away with stock trans with shift kit and upgraeded torque converter or would i need built tranny,mostly street use weekend warrior and is this a great turbo for daily driven car.

Order a 5858 or a te44. You will like it much better for what you're looking to do. 2400@0 stall converter will be nice.

I had that turbo on my stock engine and stock transmission with PTC 2800 converter. I did have bigger injectors and 3" DP. My transmission took crap after a year. I do like that turbo. It spools fast. Mine is a weekend warrior. I guess it depends on the condition of the engine and transmission.

Order a 5858 or a te44. You will like it much better for what you're looking to do. 2400@0 stall converter will be nice.
thanks what kind of power and times could i expect on an 1/8 track and is the 5858 billet and a better choice?

I had that turbo on my stock engine and stock transmission with PTC 2800 converter. I did have bigger injectors and 3" DP. My transmission took crap after a year. I do like that turbo. It spools fast. Mine is a weekend warrior. I guess it depends on the condition of the engine and transmission.
thank you,car and transmission has 60k miles what kind of times did it run if you dont mind me asking?

I installed the 6262 dual ball bearing. I have 60 pound injectors, built trans by CK Performance (New York), PTE stock loc intercooler, alky, 2800 stall converter. With asistance from Mike Barnard (aka Spoolfool) tuning, this car is a street terror. Don't know it's 1/4 mile time but I would say high 11's.

rumcayman said:
thanks what kind of power and times could i expect on an 1/8 track and is the 5858 billet and a better choice?

That would depend on the rest of the parts and how hard you push it. I prefer Garrett ex housings on the small turbos till the engine can support enough to run well into the 120's for trap speed. Old te44, 5857, 5858, te60, any of the billet stuff out there coupled with a stage 3 turbine or equivalent are all brutal with a 2400 stall and Garrett .63.

Stock motor, 6262jb, 9.5 PTC 3000 stall Extreme Automatics stage two trans...11.80@114 1.69 60 ft. Air fuel 10.2-10.40 max at the stripe with the power falling off at the 5500 set shift point. It was a last minute spare for the Midwest Buick Challenge. This stuff really belongs on the "stout long block". I put a 5858 on another friends car with a precision vigilante converter 2800 stall and ally but only 20 psi. Two thumbs up on that one also.

That would depend on the rest of the parts and how hard you push it. I prefer Garrett ex housings on the small turbos till the engine can support enough to run well into the 120's for trap speed. Old te44, 5857, 5858, te60, any of the billet stuff out there coupled with a stage 3 turbine or equivalent are all brutal with a 2400 stall and Garrett .63.
thanks,what other parts would i need other than above mentioned to run the 5858 i.e injectors size etc,plus i only have access to 91 octane so i guess alky kit is a must

Stock motor, 6262jb, 9.5 PTC 3000 stall Extreme Automatics stage two trans...11.80@114 1.69 60 ft. Air fuel 10.2-10.40 max at the stripe with the power falling off at the 5500 set shift point. It was a last minute spare for the Midwest Buick Challenge. This stuff really belongs on the "stout long block". I put a 5858 on another friends car with a precision vigilante converter 2800 stall and ally but only 20 psi. Two thumbs up on that one also.
thanks i guess for a first upgrade the 5858 is not a bad choice from the sound of things,just dont wanna get bored with it too quickly thats all

It will be a lot more fun to drive than the 6262 and still go just as fast on a stock motor. Once you do heads/cam then that is where you start seeing the benefits of a bigger turbo. I used to have a GT3255. Close to the 5858 and that turbo was awesome. It spooled super fast and still trapped at 122 for me.

It will be a lot more fun to drive than the 6262 and still go just as fast on a stock motor. Once you do heads/cam then that is where you start seeing the benefits of a bigger turbo. I used to have a GT3255. Close to the 5858 and that turbo was awesome. It spooled super fast and still trapped at 122 for me.
sounds great thanks,what size injectors would be needed with alky that would be suitable for this turbo?(5858)and would i have to upgrade anything else other than the converter as earlier suggested by Bison

The car I did with the 5858 has a set of 60's and a hotwired Walbro in the tank.

I have the 6262JB on my car. With a 3000 PTC lu converter and the extra low end from the 4.1 it spools almost instantly on the street. On a 3.8 that's mostly stock a 5858 and a 2800 stall would probably be slightly more responsive on the street.

I like my 6262 jb. See sig. for 1/8 mile performance and combo.

Jim, you have got her rolling now. Maybe I will have mine done by spring. Is there anyone around the shop that needs a good te-62 journal bearing turbo?

Michael