72 Vega GT Wagon Hybrid Conversion

sd-slider

NOWUFFO
I took a look at the 72 Vega GT wagon and overall, it's a good straight car. It currently has the mounts for a 350 and TH350 trans. The stock rear-end is still in the car and that will definately have to go.... :wink:

I know a lot of folks drop 350's and more in there, I'm curious as to how the Turbo six with all of the add-ons will work out...or, is it going to be too much cutting and welding...

Any wise folks out there with any experience with these cars?

No sure about experts but between the two of us we have had a few (like around 30) H-bodies :D The first gen cars are a little more involved but it can be done. Both of use are in the beginning stages of conversions ourselves. He is doing a 73 Coupe and I am doing a 73 Panel wagon. His will be hot air and mine will be intercooled. The biggest draw back is finding parts if the car isn't complete. Can't exactly call up the dealer and get stuff. There are a few vendors around but I get most of my stuff from ebay. If you get the car there will be 3 Eric(k)'s doing first gen Vegas! How cool? Maybe a sickness?

If you get the car there will be 3 Eric(k)'s doing first gen Vegas! How cool? Maybe a sickness?

It's official!

Sickness Hell! It's a full blown epidemic!

While we're on the subject, the PO had installed some custom motor mounts and had a 350 w/ a 350 tranny in the car with the stock rear end.

I haven't had a chance to measure everything out yet, but, will the 3.8 bolt up to existing 350 frame mounts?

As far as the car goes, the windshield grove needs overhaulin', a new windshield, some minor cancer in the lower corner of the hatch glass, and the front and rear valances are missing or busted. Everything else is in good or better shape.

The PO also took the liberty of increasing the tunnel diameter and fab'n up a cool firewall, but took the heater/AC mounts and related equipment out at the same time...:(

I'll post some pics when it's not 100 degrees outside...:cool:

It's official!

Sickness Hell! It's a full blown epidemic!

While we're on the subject, the PO had installed some custom motor mounts and had a 350 w/ a 350 tranny in the car with the stock rear end.

I haven't had a chance to measure everything out yet, but, will the 3.8 bolt up to existing 350 frame mounts?

As far as the car goes, the windshield grove needs overhaulin', a new windshield, some minor cancer in the lower corner of the hatch glass, and the front and rear valances are missing or busted. Everything else is in good or better shape.

The PO also took the liberty of increasing the tunnel diameter and fab'n up a cool firewall, but took the heater/AC mounts and related equipment out at the same time...:(

I'll post some pics when it's not 100 degrees outside...:cool:

What's wrong with 100? I use fans at my house and it's not bad when you get adjusted to it. No, I'm not joking.

I have the SSA book on doing a V6 vega some where in my library, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. It has a company that used to make some mounts that would bolt in without having to mod anyting. You can't use the Chevy mounts for a Buick engine, it just won't work. Does it have the torque arm rear or the 4 link design? That's gonna be the biggest question as far as the tranny mounting issue. I can tell you a LOT about how to mod the torque arm if you need the help.:biggrin:

The 73 was a 4 link car so it is easier to modify; well the rear stuff anyway. As said, the 350 mounts are no where close to the Buick arrangement. Before you get too far into the project I will have to warn you. Trying to find a windshield for a Vega wagon is near impossible. If you can find a even decent used one buy it. I have seen one new one for sale during the last 7 years. The guy offered it to me for $580 bucks!! I have a hard time spending close to 600 clams on a car that is worth about 2 grand. If a glass guy tells you "I can find one" he is most likely a big liar. I have been told that several times and they all come up empty. Hopefully that won't discourage you but you probably should know what you are getting into.

The rear end is the four link setup(I think....2 UCA's and 2 LCA's).

I found a new windshield locally and was quoted $254. I also found a complete hatchback car for $600 with good glass and some other parts I will need...I just need to persuade my better half on the necessity of the acquisition...;)

BTW - Will the stock rear hold up for daily driving, or do I need to upgrade before I take it on the street?

You need to find out whether it has a 7.5" or (yes they did use 1) 6.5" axle. I found the part # for the factory frame mounts for you.
PN#
Left frame stand 1705321
Right frame stand 1746350
Left bracket 1249826
Right bracket 1250392

I also have the contact info for Herbert automotive if you want a bolt in design frame mounts. PM me if you want the info.

Thanks. I'll try and track down some and see what they look like.

Do I need to crack the cover on the rear to find out, or did they stamp the housing with the info?

I'll crawl under there tomorrow morning and see if there are any markings.

Aside from badges, were there any major differences between the GT's and other vegas of the same year?

BTW - This is what the PO left me for a mounting surface....:mad:

Attachments

• pass-mount.jpg
    pass-mount.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,242
The markings are on the axle tubes facing foward and close to the center. If it's a GT then you have the 7.5. That much I do remember. the Gt had sway bars front and rear plus the better axle.

I'll try again..it shows up on all three of my pc's.....:confused:

Attachments

• pass-mount.jpg
    pass-mount.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,200
Granted these aren't the best pics but it should give you a little better idea. These are from the conversion book so I hope they help you.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,176
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,167
Thanks!

I think I found the V6 conversion book on Amazon, it should be here in a few days.

I was removing all of the ancillary equipment around the GN motor yesterday getting ready to pull it out and thought....maybe some of the existing material around the wheel wells could be used to fabricate a clean mounting surface.....:cool: .

Once it's pulled Ill snap some pics and see what I can come up with.

Anybody have some shots of an empty 86-87 GN engine bay?

They're way different. I'll see if I can snap some pics of my 82 for you. On the H body the frame/engine pads mount to the unichasis and on the G body they mount to the frame without any extensions. Because the cars are different widths is why. You should get some good info out of the book if it was published and updated after mine was. Mine is the 1980 edition so it doesn't have a lot of current info. Since yours doesn't have the frame pads welded on the the unichasis you'll need the frame extensions off of a Skyhawk or any other H body that had the V6 in it. The book I have does have info on putting a turbo on the car but it's for a draw through type not the SFI set up.

The firewall on the 71-74 is different/smaller as there was no V8 option like the Monza got in 75. The Vega used the larger trans tunnel in 75-77. I have to cut and modify mine to make the bellhousing/back of block fit properly with factory V6 Skyhawk/Monza/Firenza/Sunbird mounts. The differential will be a 6.5 and will look like a miniature 8.2 diff. The 7.5 diff will have the little "fangs" at the bottom of where the diff cover meets the case. I picked up a narrowed 8.5 for mine with 30 spline axles for a few hundred dollars and had my Don Hardy mounts welded on to keep the 4-link setup. I cut the 4cylinder mounting pads out of mine and mounted the Skyhawk plates up to it and welded in the 2 extra nuts where the factory didn't provide them in the early Vega model. Now to just get started...again...on my project. :)

Anyone recognize these?

I have a chance to get a set of Monza V6 mounts...do these look correct for a 215/231 setup?

Attachments

• v6-mounts2.jpg
    v6-mounts2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,103
That's them. I just look at the book to make sure. I'm not sure of the midmounts but those are the frame mounts.