72 Vega GT Wagon Hybrid Conversion

Those are them. The 2 in the front. The way you have them situated, the one on the left is the passenger mount plate and opposite for other side. I will send you pics that I just took in a little bit. Need to finish up this truck i am "building". :)

I have a chance to get a set of Monza V6 mounts...do these look correct for a 215/231 setup?

Next question(only 993,434 more...;) ):

The mounting point for the V6 in the later H bodies, was that considered the "optimal" placement of the engine for weight distribution, balance, etc.?

The reason I ask is, what if I were to fabricate a new "K" member that tied into the subframe and moved the mount point 3-5" forward? Would that throw anything major off? Obviously the remaining drivetrain components would have to follow suit back to the rear...

Or, will my 87 IC setup with next to nothing positioned at the back of the block(see pics..) possibly fit better than the 84-85 hot air setups with the turbo and extras at the back of the block...?

Attachments

• gnv6a.jpg
    gnv6a.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,070
  • turbox.jpg
    turbox.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,054
Trust me, you don't want to move it foward. I even moved mine back for better balance. It helped with handling a lot. You have about 1" you can move it back.

I was on vacation for a week so didn't get back to this until today. Be aware the windshield is NOT the same between the wagon and the hatch cars. The wagon was specific to the wagon only. the doors are different too. And as GNeric stated, the rear will be a 6.5 unless someone changed it out before you got to it. I have a 7.5 in my N/A car with upgraded axles and rear girdle and it lives fine. I figure the car is so light and the tire is so small it will live a long and happy life. Not too sure I would try it with a 6.5 though. I am still not sure what I am going to do for the intercooled car though. An early S-10 rear housing is physically the same width but it has leaf mounting brackets. Axles are a 1 for 1 swap though.

Thanks.

Interesting facts on the windshields....:eek:

Maybe I should grab the new one for $250 @ the glass shop...

If the windshield is truely for a Vega, buy it. I had several glass shops tell me "Oh yea, I got one of those." only to find out they were full of ... bull. You won't find one cheaper. Scratch that, you probably won't find one. Buy it if it is correct.

I just purchased the Building the V6 Vega book from Steve Smith Autosports for $6.50 new the web link is Product List. They also have the Buick Free spirit manual for $7.95

Vega

My '76 Standard Vega HB had the 6.5, 2.92 geared rear end in and held up just fine with a built 4.3 & TH350 set-up. The S-10 rear can be used, just need to cut off the leaf spring pads and weld on the 4 link brackets.

If you get a rear from a 4 cyl S-10 with manual trans, it will have either 3.73 or 4.10 gears (1st gen S trucks). The v-6 trucks used either 3.08 or 3.42 depending on options (A/C).

Also, posi was standard in S-10 Blazers (check first), but the rear is a bit narrower than the truck model. I also found that the 8.5 rear came in some of the 4x4 trucks, but more work is needed to make work (6 lug axles for sure). The guy to speak with is Monzaz on the V8Monza.com website. He is the rear end guru on H-bodies.

If you keep everything in the stock location, the driveshaft will work with the TH2004r trans. But since you have a wagon, and high horsepower, get a good shaft made.

Another thing to remember is that the radiator for a V8 Monza will NOT fit a Vega. ($295 dollar mistake on my part), instead, use the HD V6 w/air cond. radiator. Plenty thick and will do the job. You also need to add a route for hot air to escape from under the hood. If not the motor always heats up and could kill it. Long trips require popping the hood (rear facing, no probs) to let this build up of heat escape. I'd imagine that adding a turbo will make this heat worse.

Be sure to check over the frame extra good (ask how I know) near the cowl. Even in Cali the car was known to rust out there. I know of no way to fix that area if it is rusted. An S-10 front stub will physically fit into the space, but then attaching it is another problem. Fixed mine by going tube chassis, but then stock parts won't work.

Good luck with the project & post some more pic's!

Jim

'69 GS Califorina - 4 speed
'76 Vega - tube framed
'82 Turbo Regal Sport Coupe
'64 Nova 400 series - current project, 454 powered

PM a guy named "10secvega". His name's Kevin and he has a '76 Cosworth Vega with an LC2 swap. He did a bit of cutting/welding, but to what extent I don't know, so I won't speak on his behalf. Oh, and it's fast too.. :biggrin:

Kevin and my brother (ratroaster) used to hang out when my brother lived in Youngstown. I never got to see the car race (I heard it was in the 10's with a stock motor), but I have seen in a couple times. Here's a few pics of it as of a couple of years ago. It was just out of paint and the stripes weren't applied yet.

KevinsVega3.jpg

KevinsVega.jpg

KevinsVega2.jpg

It's still sitting out there.....:redface: The major problem with it is the PO completely ground out the area where the perches would sit for the V6 mounts...I may still attempt the swap, but it will take a healthy amount of ambition since I picked up a 64 Skylark that is almost a "bolt in" conversion.

I may still use it for another project since there are perches welded in for a 350...only time will tell.

=Eric

Attachments

• pass-mount.jpg
    pass-mount.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 650