You can type here any text you want

76GTQ vs. 76GTS vs. 80GTS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

steve hughes

I'm currently running a 3 bolt 76GTQ. Can anybody tell me how much more power and how much more convertor i might need to spool a 76 or 80 GTS? I have no problem with spool up now. Thanks

YOu will need at least 3000 rpm @ 0psi boost. WHat converter is in the car now and what is the stall at various boost levels.

I'm currently running a 3 bolt 76GTQ. Can anybody tell me how much more power and how much more convertor i might need to spool a 76 or 80 GTS? I have no problem with spool up now. Thanks

Steve,

Are you sticking with the 3 bolt housing or stepping up to a 4 bolt?... By the way, howd you make out with your engine after Indy... I found my problem 15 minutes after getting home, pinched a wire to my decrease solenoid for the boost controller.... 15lbs of boost obviously didn't cut it...

Norbs, my convertor is a Bradco bolt together unit. At 3000 rpm it makes 1.5psi, 3500 - 5psi , 4000 - 8psi , 4500 - on the 2 step it makes 16psi.

Hi Jack .I would like to stay with the 3 bolt housing but i don't know if i would be making much of a gain. Probably would be best for me to go with a 4 bolt and redo the headers. I don't want to go over board with a big turbo either. I don't plan on making it a mid 8 second car. I would like to run 9.00 with out having to set it on kill to do it.
I mushroomed a couple valves. One chamber will need welded between the valve seats a little. And rings and bearings. It could have been much worse.
I'm glad you found your boost problem was nothing major. It would have been a good run if we had both not had problems. Thanks for offering to let me use your car after i hurt mine.

Steve,
I used the same converter from my TSM combo to spool the TSL combo with the 42-76 4 bolt. It also has a S-trim wheel. Spool was slower , but not by much. I was surprised. From what you describe on your converter it sounds like you wont have much of an issue.

On a technical note, is PTE making the S trim turbos in 3 bolts now? I thought they were all 4 bolt.

I haven't heard of any 3 bolt s trims yet. So you went from a 70 to the 42-76? How much of a gain in et did you get at say 25psi over the 70? Thanks

Steve ,
I dont think i can accurately answer that question.The best pass I had on the S2 259 ci motor with the 70 GTQ was 10.0s at 133-134,BG-2005.This was at 18 psi and car was untuned.. I didnt follow up with this turbo much further. Im sure it could have gone 9.70s at 140 with the 70

Shortly there after I made the mods for the 42-76. Fully tuned up it ran the 9.22/149 at 25 psi. Converter slip was about 11.5-12 % and timing was 24 deg. With Less slip, and 5 more PSI would surely ran in the 8.80s

Hi Jack .I would like to stay with the 3 bolt housing but i don't know if i would be making much of a gain. Probably would be best for me to go with a 4 bolt and redo the headers. I don't want to go over board with a big turbo either. I don't plan on making it a mid 8 second car. I would like to run 9.00 with out having to set it on kill to do it.
I mushroomed a couple valves. One chamber will need welded between the valve seats a little. And rings and bearings. It could have been much worse.
I'm glad you found your boost problem was nothing major. It would have been a good run if we had both not had problems. Thanks for offering to let me use your car after i hurt mine.

Give it up, you sound like me 3 years ago, put the 4 bolt on and your turbo choice becomes unlimited. Although I remember seeing Lonnie walking around with one of those 3 bolt cantelope housings ...... Fix her up, bring that baby down to Cecil the 12th....... I'll be running 21-24 lbs of boost.... not 15lbs... :) If you want to try a 4 bolt, give me a call, I can give you a few options.

Thanks Louie and Jack. What turbo are you running Jack? I don't think i'll have her back together for Cecil.

Hey Steve i think your better off goin 4 bolt .I ran the gt42-and i dont think its an 8.80 turbo unless its 60 degrees out in the heat we been able to run 8.90@153 and i dont think theres alot left the pt 88 will hand it its azz to the gt42 but its a sluggish spoolin turbo. The s trims 76 and the 80 from innovative havent made alot better numbers than the 3 bolt gtq we ran back in tse a few years ago with our suspension really messed up we ran 9.19@150 with a 1.42 60ft the way the chassis is now it could have gone 9.00 there some hybrid gt42-80s that claim 1200 hp and spool fast but i have yet to test one that might be your best bet get my number from one of your boys and give me a shout Laz

Steve, if 9.00 are your goal, go with the GT 42/76. I have one you can try out if you want. You will not be disappointed.

Back