You can type here any text you want

78 buick lesabre turbo 3.8

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dirtexpo

:mad: :mad: :mad: I tried everything. I flush the motor, changed the plugs, the wires everything. And the oil still spits back up into the air filter can. I have a big loss of power and don't know what to do. Any suggestions??????:confused:

You need to do a compression test of the cyc and a leak down test.
How much oil is getting into the Air assemble?
Are you getting knock at light/meduim load?
Check your vac lines while you are at it.

Do you have a boost/vac gauge?
how many miles on it?
Any blue smoke coming out the back?
Jim

78 buick lesabre

I don't know what kind of smoke is blowing out. I think it's white. But today the car caught fire, I think its the rings. Please help me......:confused:

The breather line to the air cleaner is part of the PCV system, so I would start by changing the PCV valve. It's not easy as it's on the intake manifold, just under the plenum (between the carb and turbo).

If it's running poorly, the oil may be symptom, not a cause. Check the vacuum lines and the thigs they are connected to for leaks. Make sure the boost/vacuum lines from the turbo compressor to a wastegate actuator are good and solid.

What part caught on fire?

I AGREE WITH 83 T-TYPE,SOUNDS LIKE REBUILD TIME,IF THERE'S ENOUGH PRESSURE TO GET THAT KIND OF OIL INTO THE AIRCLEANER ASS. YOU GOT BAD RINGS.AND IF IT'S BLOWING OUT WHITE SMOKE YOU GOT HEADGASKET OR WORSE CRACKED CYLINDER.EITHER WAY I'D PULL IT REBUILD IT.DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THERE'S A QUICK FIX FOR THIS ONE.EVEN A BLOCKED PCV VALVE PROBABLEY WOULDN'T CAUSE THAT MUCH OIL IN THE AIR CLEANER.

78 buick lesabre

:confused: What kind of modifications should I do since the engine needs to be rebuilt. I what lots of power, but I don't want to change my car into a race car.

I use to blow quite a bit of oil into my air cleaner back when the car was running poorly. Now that a have a good carb, several vacuum leaks fix and it's running well again, no oil is blowing over. I'd really make sure the engine is toast before yanking it out. Like Jim said, do the compression test. It can't hurt. If it's a head gasket, crack head or bad rings, you will know.

I fyou do rebuild, consdier going with a 1979 and later head. They flow much better. This would mean finding a '79 intake and some new exhaust manifold. The heads are easy to find since all Buick V6 use the same head.

Maybe a 4.1 block. :)

78 buick lesabre

:confused: I have seen you guy taking about the 4.1. What would that do for performace? Would the mods. be hard? Would the parts from the 3.8 switch to the 4.1? And since its such a big car , would it be better to go with an eight? I have to wait on the repairs do to lack of funds. How much would it cost for the mods.

P.S. It caught on fire by the bottom of the engine. I don't know the exact location. I don't know much about cars.:(

Re: 78 buick lesabre

[QUOTEwould it be better to go with an eight?

P.S. It caught on fire by the bottom of the engine. I don't know the exact location. QUOTE]

If you want an eight ,go and buy a car with an eight. Please don't change this one ,there are not too many left.:(

The fire is probably oil leaking onto the hot pipes under the engine. There are also fuse links at the starter connections. I have had heat and arcing from these when they blow, but that usually results in something electrical not working.:mad:

78 lesarbre

:confused: I don't want to change the engine, but lack of mechs. are the blame for the suggestion. I stay in mich. Does anyone know of a good shop to take my car. WHAT ABOUT THE 4.1 BLOCK:confused: . Would the turbo bolt right on. And what would i need the whole engine or just the bottom.:confused:

The 4.1 is identical to the 3.8 excpet it has a larger bore and therefore larger pistons (same heads). I may try to use a 4.1 as is without rebuilding it. The only week spot would be the non-turbo pistons, but I bet they can take a fair amount of abuse.

When rebuilding one, the only issue is again the pistons. Turbo 4.1 pistons are custom made ($), but this will likely be changing soon.

A 4.1 won't help if your problem is a vacuum leak. :( 90% of the problems are usally not internal.

I would check with the Michigan Chapter of the GSCA for local Turbo V6 shops:
http://www.geocities.com/buickracer/

I have a '78 LeSabre Sport Coupe (Turbo) for sale, complete or for parts. Been parked quite a while. The tranny front seal and turbo are toast. E-mail me if I can help. :cool:

Turbo 78 buick lesabre

:confused: I tried to find a shop under the mich. chapter, but i just can't seem to find one. If anyone knows of a shop in MICH. please let me know. I want someone good.

Find the loocal club and go to the meeting and talk with the members, they use some one.

Before repllacing the enginne first fiind out what is wroonng with thiis one! This engines can alot of abuse...my did

Check your PVC and get a compressioon test...you can do this test your self
Jim

Back