You can type here any text you want

8.5 rearend in an A-body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87LC2

Can an 8.5 TR differential be swapped under a GM a-body car with minimum fuss? i.e. too narrow/ wide, etc. The car in question is a 1968 Olds 442.
Thanks in advance
Ed

71-72 Buick A-bodies had a 8.5 from the factory, non c-clip style.

Earlier A bodies used the 8.2 which is weaker and has no aftermarket support for ring and pinion gears. New posi units are available, though.

Thanks Carl. You hit the nail on the head. The car currently has an Olds "12-bolt" under it (the 8.2). I want to set that aside in favor of something more durable (or something that I won't cry over so much should I destroy it). I thought an 8.5 would do the trick if it will fit (too wide/ too narrow, etc.) without too much "customization".
Thanks
Ed

It's about 1in shorter on each side. Control arms should bolt up.

I put in a Olds 8.2 in my 85 cutlass.. there was just enough flex in the LCA's to get them into the stock mounting points. You'll have to flex yours in.

It's about 1in shorter on each side. Control arms should bolt up.

I put in a Olds 8.2 in my 85 cutlass.. there was just enough flex in the LCA's to get them into the stock mounting points. You'll have to flex yours in.

How did it work suspension travel? Any binding?

How did it work suspension travel? Any binding?

Not that I noticed... Used the stock LCA's with original rubber, that's probably why I had the extra "room" to make it work.

On a mild Buick 455, it was cutting decent 60ft. on street tires, ran flat 13's in MI. Down in FL, after a holley and SP1 intake, ran low 12's.(couldn't believe the difference that SP1 and holley made over the qjet and stock 74 intake).

I let go a GN rear because of the thread I posted a link to.:mad: :mad:
I guess I should have talked to the PROS over here first.
I hate it when ship like this happens. :mad:

And now I will have to get a “WTB GOOD USED GN POSI REAR” thread going as soon as the money is available:frown:

And now I will have to get a “WTB GOOD USED GN POSI REAR” thread going as soon as the money is available:frown:

I'll keep you in mind... I may have just launched my motor this morning.. if so, I don't have the money to rebuild it, and probably won't for quite some time.

So it'll be parted out if I become a member of the DOTC club today:D

I'm hoping for somthing electrical, or a broken flywheel... but who knows.:mad:

I'll keep you in mind... I may have just launched my motor this morning.. if so, I don't have the money to rebuild it, and probably won't for quite some time.

So it'll be parted out if I become a member of the DOTC club today:D

I'm hoping for somthing electrical, or a broken flywheel... but who knows.:mad:

that sucks
DOTC??
wish you lots of luck Dude.

The 71-72 Buick 8.5s can still be had very reasonably priced. Put up a wanted post on v8buick.com and you'll find one. The 71-72 Buick rear is a direct bolt in for your chevelle, plus it has bolt-in axles from the factory so no c-clip eliminators are required. A GN posi unit and gears bolt right in the housing. You can use a driveshaft from the 71-72 Buick with TH350 for a completely bolt in swap with no other mods required.

The 71-72 Buick 8.5s can still be had very reasonably priced. Put up a wanted post on v8buick.com and you'll find one. The 71-72 Buick rear is a direct bolt in for your chevelle, plus it has bolt-in axles from the factory so no c-clip eliminators are required. A GN posi unit and gears bolt right in the housing. You can use a driveshaft from the 71-72 Buick with TH350 for a completely bolt in swap with no other mods required.

Cool thanks for the info.

how can you tell the diffrence in the rear I got one don't know what it's out of or your can't find any casting numbers I'll post some pic if it will help.btw it's not a 8.5 or 7.5 g body

get a 9" and never worry about it.
plus, gear changes are a breeze if you build up a few pumpkins.

here's a pic or 2 http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/sawmillman/rear059.jpg
rear057.jpg

Back