81 Regal build-Turbo 5.3/4l80e **9.94@138.5mph

If you havn't done the trunion upgrade yet, now would be a good time to do it.
Especially since it has the bigger then stock cam.

Was also wondering if you opened up the ring gap in the first motor or was it able to survive the boost without opening it up?
If either of these were already talked about earlier in the thread i apologize.
Awesome build by the way, some of the mechanical talent on this site is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
If you havn't done the trunion upgrade yet, now would be a good time to do it.
Especially since it has the bigger then stock cam.

Was also wondering if you opened up the ring gap in the first motor or was it able to survive the boost without opening it up?
If either of these were already talked about earlier in the thread i apologize.
Awesome build by the way, some of the mechanical talent on this site (TB.com) is really impressive.
The trunnion upgrade was already done on the old motor and I'll be switching those rockers to the new motor. This upgrade was not mentioned previously in the thread. I usually just post the more significant things I change.

The ring gaps were stock. Actually, the heads have never even been off.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Update: 2017 was a busy year. I wasn't able to accomplish all of the upgrades I wanted but still had a decent year. Installing a cage was the big item I wanted to accomplish but unfortunately that didn't happen. The all aluminum gen IV 5.3 did make its way into the engine bay though. It was just a cheap build. Pulled apart the shortblock, cleaned it all up, all new bearings (cam bearings too), rings and reused the stock rotator. The TFS 216/220 from the old engine was also swapped in and then topped with 799 heads. Also, while the engine was out, the converter was swapped from Circle D's 258mm to their 252mm. I haven't had an opportunity to check slip numbers on an all out 1/4 pass yet but I love the way this new converter feels on the two step. The footbrake will hold the tires from turning with the two step at 4K. Out back, the old 275 et streets were swapped for 28x10.5 pro bracket radials. Of course, the frame had to be notched to fit those in. I used UMI's frame notch kit.
Wycg2DH.jpg

7VeuZIL.jpg

cGyjaox.jpg

Zrh6FFw.jpg

VRj1JTR.jpg

To finish the year off, I entered One Guy's Garage Drag Weekend again. Had an absolute blast, despite the weather being 90+ all weekend.

Because the car has no cage, I didn't want to risk running 9.xx passes all weekend. Luckily, there was a 10.50 index class to fall in and keep things on the safer side. The car ran 10.50's all weekend without breaking a sweat. With boost at 12 psi, I was shocked to see it running 10.50 in 90+ heat. The new motor is definitely making more power on less boost. Ended up taking home the first place trophy for the class.

026iYZL.jpg

Congrats on winning the class! Just picked up the UMI mini tub kit and going to be adding that to the list that seems to be never ending.

I have been flowing this post for a while.I got to see the car this weekend ,I was surprised to see it was right in my backyard,(there are no prep races at a local track ).The car is very nice build and it is a BEAST at the track.

Very cool build. We did a basic 5.3 turbo ( turbonetics dbb 7575) build on a friends camaro that runs a similar number (9.7s@139.99) How is the CX intercooler holding up? I run the same one and have debated going with a "better" unit but it looks like its serving you well into the 140 range.

Fantastic build. Sold my GN a month back cause I was tired of the gremlins with the V6 and couldn’t bring myself to LS swap it. Wrapping up an LS swap into a 57 Chevy with an LSA supercharger, once that’s done a new project will start, had thought it’d be a Chevy II, but my wife likes the looks of the regal better