You can type here any text you want

82 GN 4.1 non turbo but wanna change engine or make the 4.1 fast

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

what should I do to make 4.1 faster. switch engine or mod the 4.1

• switch engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

82grandaddy

the grandaddy 82 GN
I recently brought a 1982 GN with 90,000 original miles in excellent condition but the 4.1 is none turbo and slow. I've located a local engine builing company and ask what should I do to make it fast and the guy said to put a 383 stroker/th400 and he will make it 500hp/500tq. what should I do GN world?

Attachments

• 1982 grand national.jpg
    1982 grand national.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 218
This is a common problem with people that don't get it. Yes, you can put an SBC in and maybe get 500 HP out of it but then you ruin a rare car. You can also find all the parts to either go SFI or stay with the original draw through system. There have been a few changes with the draw through systems in the last few years and you can do quite a bit more than you'd expect. If you just want to make it a little more street friendly then there's a sticky on how to port the 4.1 intake in this section. One other thing is changing gears and adding a 2004R so you can make the most of what you're got.

As mentioned above youve got a rare car. I would say "keep it original"

Everybody and their brother has a SBC converted Gbody. If youre inclined to go that way Sell the 82GN to a Buick GN nut and engine swap a more common regal with the proceeds.

If you do go with the 383 swap in your 82, at least keep all the original pieces available for the next owner to put it back original.

my two cents

oh and if that were my car I suppose I would look into turbocharging it or maybe a small shot of nitrous to get it a bit faster.

This is a hard one.

first off.... the real question.... What kind of budget do you have? if your thinking you want the SBC for the power because its cheap then you need to pass this car along to somebody and get a regular regal.

If you have some money, a hopped up stock appearing Carb turbo would be awesome for the car for originality's sake and for the hp increase. A hot NA 4.1 would be cool, but thats budget breaking usually. But dont just rip this car to pieces. It would be an absolute abomination. You have a special car.... the beginnings to an era that changed the world for "Grandpa's" old Buick. Think long and hard about this.

Putting in a SBC would basicially ruin ALL the "coolness" of the car. There are many options:

1. Build up the 4.1V6 - there are a lot of HP parts out there. There are stroker kits for the 4.1.
  2. Add a blow thru turbo to the the 4.1. Not too hard, but takes some knowledge and ingenuity.
  3. Swap to a 86/87 SFI turbo drivetrain
  4. 455 Big Block Buick.
The Big Block Buick is probably the cheapest & easiest and works with the BUICK theme. Persoanlly, I would like to see all of the above done.

Hey bud! glad you made it on here!.I was just checkin out some stuff for your car, n saw this post... i'd. just find the parts ie;exhaust manifolds/ intake/ turbo/ intercooler/ efi/ ecm and put em on your 4.1..If you need help doing the conversion, you could bring it my way, and we'll get er done... it will handle the boost for sure..that's a tough engine!...but you already heard what i think about it in the last couple days, so i'll let some others put in their 2cents.. peace, ~drew~

Last edited:
Thanks people. So I'm making the decision to keep 4.1... i have a 12k budget to turn this car into a badd azz, fast azz 82 GN. would 12k be a good enough budget?

Thanks people. So I'm making the decision to keep 4.1... i have a 12k budget to turn this car into a badd azz, fast azz 82 GN. would 12k be a good enough budget?

It'll get you somewhere. Depends on end goal, but that's a healthy place to start.

dude, you will have the BADDEST ASS 82' GN out there for that much $$ that's more than i payed fror my 87' with 87,000 original miles! There are probably a few reputable shops in your neck of the woods that can do the turbo conversion for you.. if you don't trust em, bring it to my place, and we'll do it together. 715-824-3017 (home) 715-679-0074 (cell) i have done several N/A conversions for friends, i'll give you the ''good guy'' price, no problem.. Then we can hit the strip, and see what she'll do! so have you decided wether you'll keep the 4barrel intake, n use a ''blow through carb'' , or switch to all 86'-87' parts to make it rip? either way, imho, it will make the car worth much more, vs the sbc v8 swap, which would hurt value, again, imho..

Ok so its official. I went with a buick 455 stage 3 engine and a th400 trans. It will be ready in 3-4 weeks and I will upload pictures and videos. Thanks for all of your opinions. 1982 GN/455 stage 3/th400

b4black said:
Putting in a SBC would basicially ruin ALL the "coolness" of the car. There are many options:

1. Build up the 4.1V6 - there are a lot of HP parts out there. There are stroker kits for the 4.1.
  2. Add a blow thru turbo to the the 4.1. Not too hard, but takes some knowledge and ingenuity.
  3. Swap to a 86/87 SFI turbo drivetrain
  4. 455 Big Block Buick.
The Big Block Buick is probably the cheapest & easiest and works with the BUICK theme. Persoanlly, I would like to see all of the above done.

455 stage 3 was my choice

Hey bud! glad you made it on here!.I was just checkin out some stuff for your car, n saw this post... i like charlief1's advice the best.. just find the parts ie;exhaust manifolds/ intake/ turbo/ intercooler/ efi/ ecm and put em on your 4.1..If you need help doing the conversion, you could bring it my way, and we'll get er done... it will handle the boost for sure..that's a tough engine!...but you already heard what i think about it in the last couple days, so i'll let some others put in their 2cents.. peace, ~drew~
Hey bud. I did 455 stage 3

Glad you're keeping it Buick! That's one car I would trade my pristine 86 GN for.

Posted to TurboBuick.com from my RAZR MAXX HD

Hey bud. I did 455 stage 3
hell yeah! Can't go wrong with a Buick mill in a Buick.. I know you already said you would, but hang onto the original 4.1 in case you want to build it down the road.. If so, you could build it while still being able to drive the car with the 455.. Run the #'s stamped on the 455 block just to make sure it isn't a 350, as they were both big blocks, just like Oldsmobile. Good choice, because the 455 will raise the value of the car, vs. the sbc which would lower it, IMO... You should look into some heavier duty V8 front coil springs as the 455 weighs a whole lot more than the 4.1.The front will not only sag a lot with the V6 springs, but will wear out the ball joints, and tie rod ends in a hurry. Also could break a spring, causing loss of control .. If you decide to get rid of the 4.1, I'll buy it for sure, to build for my car!! .., but if i were you, i'd keep it. I can't wait to meet up with you this summer, and see this thing, n cruise! ..There's a huge car show not too far from me every year during the second weekend of July called Iola Old Car Show..Maybe we could hit it up!.....Did you see turbodave's post?? He said he'd trade his pristine 86' GN for your car!

yeah i will check everything out... where would i find the #s to make sure its a buick 455? And im a keep the 4.1 a rebuild it also. @turbo dave I'm a have fun with the car and if I deside to trade I will let u know bud.

Nice choice! :D

The wiring harness on the passneger side is primarily for the ECM. Don't cut the wires. You should be able to tuck them aside, or pull the entire assembly out. All the wires for the dash, alterntor, starter, etc are on the driver's side. A 455 will look right at home in the Regal's engine compartment!

Back