83 Regal into Turbo

Smokin the Buick

Trying to get a handle on this whole thing...and I think I just about have it...waiting now for that intake from Dr.F so I can start throwing this thing together..Cold weather is comming in tormorrow again.. Will post photos as I progress.. Really just want to get this thing running. Got a ton of ideas, stirred them up and the good ones are sinking to the bottom.. ready for me to use..:)

I had lots of ideas when I started as well. Ideas are fluid to say the least. I had to do a lot of research before I got where I am now. throwing something together with a turbo is asking for disaster (sp) to say the least. Aj, Adam, and I have all had our faliures and are willing to tell you about them. My worst was the engine I had Rhere and Morrison machine and I blew the head gaskets in just a few hours. It was NA as well so I do know how tempermental the engine design can be. It aint plug and play if you don't know what you're doing.

well im not trying to be a dick..... LOL

but I have seen many a newbee follow the path your on.... and the end result? I add another system to my collection because the newbee gets so confused or lost that they just loose hope and go small block.

one too many times has this happened.... were loosing carb turbo guys left and right these days -- have to do something to keep us going!

I was planning on sending the picks last night, but the weather blocked my dish signal.... so no internet for me.

but dont worry, I will get all that stuff out to who needs it soon!

A.j.

OK... I was testing my waste gate valve today...using some air pressure..at approx 20 psi it will open the valve.. Do you know if that is normal?? Normally this thing should run at between 8 and 12 psi ?? Do you think at 20 psi it would be too late and it would blow?? Was just thinking, the orginal carb was a 2 barrel on this car, and it was computer controlled....still have the computer...It will be interesting to see how they controlled the carb...will have to check out my chiltons book or something..
I am thinking way...way ahead...and after I get this thing running again I want to paly the tuner game with it...By the way on that wide band sensor...its a 6 wire and its used on most newer VWs and for sale on Yahoo.com for 76 bucks...was doing some digging on the web... What else I have read that Vacumn secondarys on the carb works out a lot better then mechanical secondarys because they would respond more quickly to air pressure.. but then....I'm thinking....this might present a run away condition if things start working in reverse... whas you think??

Smokin the Buick

I was thinking that before the plug pulls out of that waste gate hole it shakes, like the top on a tea kettle ready to boil... I bet I could hook up a micro switch to it with an LED on the dash and when it is approaching 20 psi that light will start to blink and warn me.. I didn't realize that the waste gate dumps right into the exhaust side of the turbo.. that must make one loud pop, if not boom when that raw gas is dumped . Besides a boost guage that red light would make a great idiot light..:D

lol You have some crazy ramblings man, lol

Think before you blow your actuator up. I'm going to guess and say your doing the visual test on the actuator when your applying all the pressure to move the rod. Check it with a dial indicator . The rod just barely has to move the wastegate off it's seat to function, you might not see that with your eyes but the dial indicator can pick it up even at 7psi.
Also there isn't any boom from wastegate operation, there is no unburned fuel entering the exhaust. The wastegate regulates boost by bleeding off excess EXHAUST GAS before the turbine and simply re routing it after the turbine or into the atomosphere.

I'm not trying to to be right or wrong, I'm just keeping you on track so we all go fast!

Was just thinking, the orginal carb was a 2 barrel on this car, and it was computer controlled....still have the computer...It will be interesting to see how they controlled the carb...will have to check out my chiltons book or something..
I am thinking way...way ahead...and after I get this thing running again I want to paly the tuner game with it...By the way on that wide band sensor...its a 6 wire and its used on most newer VWs and for sale on Yahoo.com for 76 bucks...was doing some digging on the web... What else I have read that Vacumn secondarys on the carb works out a lot better then mechanical secondarys because they would respond more quickly to air pressure.. but then....I'm thinking....this might present a run away condition if things start working in reverse... whas you think??

The E2ME and the E4ME work the same way. It uses a fuel mixture solinoid to regulate the air fuel mix in normal opperations but doesn't do anything in WOT conditions.

As far as a wide band, the sensor may be cheap but the monotor isn't. There's no way around it.

Smokin the Buick

Warwagon, thanks for the advise, any help I can get is always greatly appreciated !!:smile: Charlie, did you ever see those A/F guages on E-bay for about 50 or 60 bucks.. they just have numbers on them.. are they any accurate ?? Still making gaskets for the turbo..there was steel ones on the exhaust side which I didn't touch.. but I am making the ones on the compressor /carb side now...I hope regular gasket material will work..

For the intake side you need metal re-enforced gasket matereal. Felpro part number ES72507 for the mounting kit. I got them at work for $18.39 out the door.

As far as the A/F meters they're not a wide band and don't respond fast enough for what you're looking for. Believe me, I'm cheap but there are a few things you just can't skimp on.

For the intake side you need metal re-enforced gasket matereal. Felpro part number ES72507 for the mounting kit. I got them at work for $18.39 out the door.

As far as the A/F meters they're not a wide band and don't respond fast enough for what you're looking for. Believe me, I'm cheap but there are a few things you just can't skimp on.

I just got ordered the 301 turbo gasket set.

have any idea how hard it was to find those?

Where have you been getting yours charlie?

A.j.

Smokin the Buick

Did it your way ..and good idea.. checking out the waste gate actuator.. I loaded it with 5 psi and it did not move...goood ...put in 10 psi and it really moved...I I guess its working and in the sweet spot...:D

Attachments

• Turbo check.jpg
    Turbo check.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 105
Right on! That's how you do it. Great now that rod is not adjustable and should give you 8-9psi boost.

Vince, I will get that intake out as soon as possible, theres just alot of other orders I have to fill first.

just be patient, I will get to your stuff hopefully tomorrow.

A.j.

Vince, I will get that intake out as soon as possible, theres just alot of other orders I have to fill first.

just be patient, I will get to your stuff hopefully tomorrow.

A.j.

He's not kidding Vince. Aj's about as slow as molases when it come to shipping. It's not intentional it's just his work schedual. I've been waiting for a while on some Q-jet parts so I can build him a carb as well as a few others. LOL

I just got ordered the 301 turbo gasket set.

have any idea how hard it was to find those?

Where have you been getting yours charlie?

A.j.

The ones I got are for the stock set up. I bought them for a guy I'm helping in Norway. He's got an 83 engine going into a Skyhawk and parts are hard here to find so imagine how hard they are to find in Norway.:eek:

If you have a part number for the 301 set please post it so I can see about finding them. I only need the plenum to turbo gasket but it isn't a seperate gasket so I need a whole set.

He's not kidding Vince. Aj's about as slow as molases when it come to shipping. It's not intentional it's just his work schedual. I've been waiting for a while on some Q-jet parts so I can build him a carb as well as a few others. LOL

yea I am as slow as can be.... sorry guys... between work, women, and the truck im usually tapped out. dont worry guys I will get things going.

The ones I got are for the stock set up. I bought them for a guy I'm helping in Norway. He's got an 83 engine going into a Skyhawk and parts are hard here to find so imagine how hard they are to find in Norway.:eek:

If you have a part number for the 301 set please post it so I can see about finding them. I only need the plenum to turbo gasket but it isn't a seperate gasket so I need a whole set.

the part number I have for the gaskets is Fel-Pro ES72537

However......... this set is discontinued. I got lucky and found somebody who had 1 in stock.... just one.

I did see that JC Whitney has a set, but the part number is different... so I am unsure if it is actually a 301 set... or just a reboxed 231 set. there enough difference to not warrent the 30 dollar investment to me if its wrong.

This is where the dilemma for the 301 housing begins..... the 301 units are hard enough to find, but add in the fact that there are no factory gasket sets left, Im really starting to see the 301 as not a viable swap option.

what are your thoughts?

A.j.

Smokin the Buick

I sent away for some Mr. Gasket material, high temp for exhaust and turbos and I will cut them myself...Have punches/ exacto blades and sizors..Thanks Dr.F for giving me the update on the manifold.. Had to redrill the mounting hole for the acutator..seems the turbo that it came off of the bolts were futher apart for some reason.. some of the mounting brackets I have seen are angled and not a flat piece of metal like I have.. Hey...as long as it fits ...thats all I care...
One more question... I notice that how I had to setup the turbo the oil hole is almost on a 45 degree angle.. I would of thought it would of been on a 90 degree so the oil would pass through the bearing quicker... But then there would be very little room under it to mount a drain tube.:smile:

I sent away for some Mr. Gasket material, high temp for exhaust and turbos and I will cut them myself...Have punches/ exacto blades and sizors..Thanks Dr.F for giving me the update on the manifold.. Had to redrill the mounting hole for the acutator..seems the turbo that it came off of the bolts were futher apart for some reason.. some of the mounting brackets I have seen are angled and not a flat piece of metal like I have.. Hey...as long as it fits ...thats all I care...
One more question... I notice that how I had to setup the turbo the oil hole is almost on a 45 degree angle.. I would of thought it would of been on a 90 degree so the oil would pass through the bearing quicker... But then there would be very little room under it to mount a drain tube.:smile:

no thats not a 301 turbo, the inlet is too short.

now the redrilling of the actuator doesnt sound right boss, it should bolt right up, unless the housing it not clocked correctly. you might have a later actuator from an 86/87

as for that oil drain, you will see when you get the intake how it fits into the back of the manifold. the 45* isnt the best IMHO for that carbon seal, as it makes it work a little harder, but there isnt much in the way of options on that either.

A.j.