83lbs injectors vs 72lbs injectors street/strip

Chris McDade

I know alot of people are running the 72lbs injectors on the street and at the track with good luck. Im currently running 50lbs with a 16 position max effort thumb wheel. Im now running mid 10's and im out of injectors. I need more injector to be competitive in TSM.

How are 83lbs injectors on the street and strip? How does it idle?

I talked to Steve Y @ Max effort and he said he has a good chip for these injectors. I am also considering going to the MAfless. Anyone running this setup with 83lber's.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Chris McDade
I know alot of people are running the 72lbs injectors on the street and at the track with good luck. Im currently running 50lbs with a 16 position max effort thumb wheel. Im now running mid 10's and im out of injectors. I need more injector to be competitive in TSM.
How are 83lbs injectors on the street and strip? How does it idle?
I talked to Steve Y @ Max effort and he said he has a good chip for these injectors. I am also considering going to the MAfless. Anyone running this setup with 83lber's.

Bare with me,
Up until you hit 55s all your really allowed to do is just hammer the injectors to static, and cross your fingers about your fuel. Others will no doubt chime in about going 9s with blue stripes, but you can also talk to others that have headgasket colletions from trying to run too small of injector.

Now once you hit 55s you can actually taylor the fuel curve, since you have enough fuel to really develope a curve. This is where the talent of your chip guy shows up. No longer can you just hammer the injector and cross your fingers, typically your just have too much fuel from an **average** chip.

With 72s your again up and beyond running static, and again the talent of your chip guy will be what allows you to run them well on the street.

For MAFLESS, yep the MEs allow that.
But, if your just interested in reducing the restriction the MAF presents, then just change to a blow thru, but that means a Translator or T+. With the T+ it gives you the ability to fine tune your combo, like the ME does.
HTH

Well, I'm running 75# inj. now, and with my ext. chip, it runs as good as my 50#'s, if not better. I would recommend them. I don't have any experience with 83#'s, but they can't be too different. Steve Y. knows his stuff, I'm sure he can get it right for you. I'm with bruce, can't really go too big, just some chip makers can't get it right, giving big injectors a bad rep for street use.

Thanks guys, I guess it all depends on the chip maker.

Anyone one out there running the stock MAF and going low 10's?
If so what chip and injector are you running?

Thanks

Melissa's car has gone 10.30s @124 with BLUE TOPS!!!!:p

sorry Bruce had to do it:D

Bob Bailey

Gotta mention Bob Bailey (Ramchargers) as another custom chip source for street success with 83#s, especially if you are using the Translator set-ups.

HTH :)

Thanks
Best time so far with stock mass air meter 10.1@ 134.5mph
not running big boost yet , also need the t/c to lock up for a couple more mph

I use a RED 106 race chip and 93 chip for the street , 83 lb inj,I do drive the car on the street ,back and forth from Tulsa to OKC

Thanks

Chris, e-mail Neal Steward with Brutal Six Racing @ neal.steward@hs.utc.com , he is running a Stage II motor with a modified stock ECM - and I think 93lbs inj.

Let me know what you find out - PS Mike Hogan is running 83lbs inj. but is using FAST.

Say do you ever race the 1/8 mile in Sealy, with Charlie Newman??

Good luck :)

Hey,
James it ChrisMc.

I know brutal Six makes some good chips, but i want to stay with the max effort. I love not changing 02 senors after every race. I do go out to Sealy sometimes. I haven't been out there in a while. Tell Charlie to call me next time he goes out there. I can be there in 30 minutes from my house.

Qwknuf6,
What size turbo are you running? How much boost have you put to it so far? What your fuel setup?

Thank in advance

I had 83's in my car before with a Max-Effort. Come to find out I had a setting wrong but the car still ran good. No problems with driving around with them. I have since picked up 83's and 65's and got chips from Steve for both so I can give them both a whirl and see which I like better. The 83's will be fine!

qwknuf6 jr

Not to change the subject, but what turbo and heads are you running to run that low E.T and high MPH.:cool:

I had 83's in my car with a Max-Effort and stock coneless MAF and went 10.25. Ran smooth on the street.

I'm running 83 lb injector with stock modified ECM on the street. Runs great.
I can't tell any difference from my old 55's and the 83's on the street. GN1's, 70-1 turbo, stock TB. I still need to put some boost in it at the track to see what the fuel is like. So far with 21 lbs of boost I'm running is a fat 840's on the O2. Also, I thought these would kill my 60 ft times but so far they are about the same with a 1.53 short on a 6.88 @ 99 mph.

I'm also wondering who else is running 83's vs 72's. I heard the 83's would idle better than the 72's.

TrboHead

Thanks guys that is some good info. Im going to go ahead and get the 83's. I will let you know how it turns out.

Im running to bosch inline fuel pumps with one as the main and the other one hooked to a hob switch to come on @13lbs boost. Right now it's working good. Im not sure if it's going to be enough fuel with the 83's.

bobtempest and trbohead,
What kind of fuel set up are you running?

thanks

I'm running 2 intank Walbro 340's through the existing uncut stock lines. I have the second pump that cuts on about 18 lbs with a Hob switch. Running 2 hot wires and 2 relays so they are independent of each other. The only problem I've had has been a busted rubber fuel line inside the tank on one of the pumps causing a internal leek and loss of volume. Use good approved FI rubber hoses. I found the problem after blowing a few head gaskets.:eek:

My buddy runs 83lbs injectors,stock mass,modded ecm, reds 106 chip,runs fine.Drives it 90 miles one way to the track.Cranks out mid 6's at 106 in the eight.No quarter mile et yet.:)

I asked our good friend Chuck Leeper of Cody Motorsports fame the same question...72s or 83s?

He said: "Get the 83s, ya young whippersnapper, and get outta the shop before ya hurts y'self!!"

So, it's 83s for me!

HTH

:) :) :)

Originally posted by My-Type
Thanks guys that is some good info. Im going to go ahead and get the 83's. I will let you know how it turns out.

Im running to bosch inline fuel pumps with one as the main and the other one hooked to a hob switch to come on @13lbs boost. Right now it's working good. Im not sure if it's going to be enough fuel with the 83's.

bobtempest and trbohead,
What kind of fuel set up are you running?

thanks

I run Red's double XP with no problems.

try the 96# delphi/msd. they seem to be gaining alot of popularity around here. i love my 72# siemens, idle fine with the ME-16 chip.