84-85 VS 86-87

ve3oky

N00bie here to the forums and to Buick's. I have a 1980 na 301 Regal and thinking about doing a engine swap to a 3.8 turbo. My main question is whats the difference in the 84/85 setups to the 86/87 besides the intercooler?? I see the scan master is only listed for 86/87 so was wondering what all is changed or different in the years? Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Read up! Theres a lot more support for the intercooled set up. But there are a handful of guys going fast in hotair (84-85) set ups. If it were me swapping, I'd go to an intercooled set up for sure. Good luck with the swap.

There's 3 different systems that you could swap to. 2 HA, the 78-83 draw through system, and the 84 85 SFI units. The later units (86-87) have more support and parts out there but the other 2 are viable set ups as well. As far as easiest goes I'd have to say the 78-83 units are the least expensive and most misunderstood. The later SFI units you can upgrade chips, puters, and a bunch of different things to make them go faster. The 84-85 units can be upgraded to an 86-87 puter and then you have a lot of adjustment as well as using the scanmaster on it.

Thanks guys. So ya say theres "different things to make the later SFI guys go faster" guess my question is "like what??" besides the intercooler and 86-87 chip which you have confirmed a 84/85 guy can upgrade too ...... what else is different?? anything?? What I'm getting at is 85-86 there is a 46 HP difference in the specs, and if its just the two items it opens up my search when looking for a engine with power. Thanks :)

The intercooler helps keep detonation down so timing can be advanced further and more fuel can be used with higher boost.

Welcome pilgrim!
The best and of course, most expensive swap would be the 86/87. However, it would be best to do a lot of research before tackling such an endeavor. You really need to know what it is you want and what goals to set for. It will save you a lot of money and frustation in the long run. Check the parts for sale section to get an idea of the cost for the long block and supporting items. You will need the wiring harness and the computer as well unless you can afford an after market eng, management system. There are plenty of guys on this board who have done the swap and can guide you along. There might even be some close enough to you to lend a hand. You might even find a guy swapping over to a ls-1 that would be willing to make a deal for you. another option would be to find one going to the crusher and purchase it off the owner. I missed a deal like that right after last years gs nats. The guy needed money and got $300.00 for it. I would have given him $1k for it, but he would wait until the next day!?

I've got a line on a full 87 setup thats got a 100,ooo km on it (I'm in canada .. eh?), for just under $2K. Guy says it runs and is 100% stock but its all out of the car so cant hear/see it run ... so kinda worried. I like the idea of picking up a 84-85 setup because they seem a lot cheaper to get (86/87 seem to carry a higher price tag due to popularity) then just add a aftermarket intercooler and 86/87 ECM.

then just add a aftermarket intercooler and 86/87 ECM.

theres alot more to it then just that..... the intake / exhaust manifold(s) are very different between the 84-85 and the 86-87.

are you looking for maximum power? whats your goals? whats the intention of the vehicle?

theres alot more to it then just that..... the intake / exhaust manifold(s) are very different between the 84-85 and the 86-87.

are you looking for maximum power? whats your goals? whats the intention of the vehicle?

Well this is the type of stuff I'm trying to find out ..... whats all different? Car would likly never see a drag strip, but I like to "go" when I hit the gas, I'm thinking 300-350 HP when all done.

okays cool

first question, whats your budget?
2nd, whats your skill level?
3rd, does it matter how the power is made? (do you want it to look a certain way etc.. etc.. etc.. )

first question, whats your budget? none ..... its going to be a long slow project, no rush, get suff as it comes etc .....
2nd, whats your skill level? novice ....... Done bolt on stuff before (headers, throtle body, intake manifolds) ...... but looking to learn more.
3rd, does it matter how the power is made? (do you want it to look a certain way etc.. etc.. etc.. ) Not really. Been thinking about options everything from turbo charging my 301 engine swaping to a 455 Big block. Only thing I rather NOT have is NOS because I know the temptation to use it at every light will brake my bank ;)

ve3oky said:
first question, whats your budget? none ..... its going to be a long slow project, no rush, get suff as it comes etc .....
2nd, whats your skill level? novice ....... Done bolt on stuff before (headers, throtle body, intake manifolds) ...... but looking to learn more.
3rd, does it matter how the power is made? (do you want it to look a certain way etc.. etc.. etc.. ) Not really. Been thinking about options everything from turbo charging my 301 engine swaping to a 455 Big block. Only thing I rather NOT have is NOS because I know the temptation to use it at every light will brake my bank ;)

NOS isn't street legal in Canada. At least not where I live. Good thing too or every ricer ever would be in a tree.

NOS isn't street legal in Canada. At least not where I live. Good thing too or every ricer ever would be in a tree.

Ya its not legal ....... I know my self too well, lead foot + NOS = bad ... hahahaha

Been thinking about options everything from turbo charging my 301 engine swaping to a 455 Big block.
If you decide to go 301 turbo I've got an intake as well as a plenum and can suggest going to the 301 garage to at least look around. I don't get a lot of time to go over there right now but the owner (Joe) and I email back and forth and I do tech advise there when I can.;)

If you decide to go 301 turbo I've got an intake as well as a plenum and can suggest going to the 301 garage to at least look around. I don't get a lot of time to go over there right now but the owner (Joe) and I email back and forth and I do tech advise there when I can.;)

Yep I'm a member of 301 garage found them last week and been reading old posts.
To upgrade to the 301 turbo would likly be my cheapest bet, but this is where my knowledge on cars ends ... compression ... I know the 301T pistons are different and I dont know if I can use my NA ones or if I will just end up melting them. I know I would need intake, plenum, turbo, passenger side header, exhaust piping, and a new carb ...... anything else?? I know the cam is different as well.

The hardest parts to get will be the exhaust manifolds since they crack. I also have the up pipe which I forgot to mention. You'd need the right distributor and the turbo control center but I think 1 of the guys over at the garage can help you with that.

I think the best bet if you want cheap easy and powerful would be to yank the 301 and drop in a SBC.

all the power, less cost, easier parts find, and as common as a belly button.

An LS swap is fairly easy and makes tons of power. Complete engines can be bought out of a junk yard for little and you'd just need to get an MSD control unt and a 4 barrel intake so for less than $2000 you could have a fun car that has more than enough power for you.;) Not knocking the 301 or V6 here but for the $ the LS is the easier option and tons of parts are out there now for them.

ls motor @ junkyard cost $600 bucks, spend some change on a carb and a intake and some nitrous and have fun with parts located in every corner.. you can go to CVS/walmart and buy headbolts for a ls SBC.. (seems like it)..