You can type here any text you want

84' Regal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Backflush the heater core. Unhook both line leading up to it, and run a garden hose through both ends of the heater core one at a time. Other than that, make sure the blend door is working right, it is cable operated, you should hear someything move and feel some resistance with the temp lever.

Backflush the heater core. Unhook both line leading up to it, and run a garden hose through both ends of the heater core one at a time. Other than that, make sure the blend door is working right, it is cable operated, you should hear someything move and feel some resistance with the temp lever.

Thanks for the info!!! Will check the blend door first... Hopefully it will warm up a little so I can flush the h. core.

Going to try to snap some pics of those pistons tomorrow and send them to ya!!

Update: Sanded the little grounding connector under the hood and now have the blower motor coming on!! It has a new thermostat and new heater valve... Car is getting warmer than before, but still not as hot as it should be.. It's good enough to defrost the windows and warm the car somewhat... Guessing it must be a bad heater core. Air flow is strong on both defrost and floor.... Any more thoughts on this????

Is the car getting up to operating temp? Have you checked the fan clutch?

Start the engine up and get it warm. Once warm the fan should drawing air through the radiator. Pop the hood up, stick your hand in the passengers compartment and turn the engine off while watching the fan. If it stops with the engine then it's locked, if it keeps spinning it's damaged and needs replacing, and if it spins just a few turns then it's working right. This is with the engine at full temp and the radiator hot.

With the engine hot, I stick a small, rolled up newspaper against the fan. If it stops, the clutch is bad.

But a bad clutch leads to overheating, not the problem in this case.

FOr the most part you are probably right rich. But I've seen the clutch lock up also, it happened on my 79 but didn't affect the cooling. But like we all know, no one car is the same. Just throwin out some ideas.

I got into my 87 "T" and and went from hot to cold on the lever and could clearly hear it open and close... I cannot hear this happening with this Regal although the lever has lots of resistence.. Thinking this could be the blend door. Is it easy to access this door to know for sure???

This "might be" a solution.. If you can take both lines off the heatercore from the engine side, use compressed air to lightly blow it clear of most any liquid, get a couple of hoses about 2-3' in length and attach to core lines thru firewall. Get a large pot of almost boiling water and add some "Lime Away" from the hardware store to this mix.
With a funnel and safety in mind, pour hot mix down to fill up core. Let stand for a while (maybe til it cools enough to not burn yourself, and then let one line down to a bucket or.. and see what comes out. Repeat if necessary..
And or flush with clear water.
This will bubble and foam while its' eating the corrosion and build up inside the core. So, watch out for painted surfaces..(I never had paint around an engine that nice to worry about anywho..)

NOW, I say "might" because if ones core is severely corroded, this might cause leakage. That solution could be to compress the core with the hoses/lines and listen for 'hissing' under the dash.. And if there is, Don't get mad at me:wink: Just what I've done before.

One needs to COMPLETELY FLUSH the system after, due to chemical properties unforeseen that could eat your radiator if its' incompatible with the "Lime Away"..

I'm going to try and get a big pot of boiling water and fill up a drum to soak this 4.1 bare block and bare heads with a pelletized rust remover that one can use for household apps like rust on walls or driveways..
Heck, if they say, use to dissolve in the back of a toilet tank rust, then it should knock out the rust in the oil galleys and such that one can't get to.

ANOHER thing.. Did you 'burp' the system after you changed the T-stat?
If there are air pockets around the sensor, you will have a false reading until that water can flow around the sensor end.
Sometimes one needs to push down on the upper radiator hoses to make sure that the highest point will be near an air bleed of some sort.

Sorry for the long post. It's helped me out many times before.

E

Back