85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

For what it's worth, although those cars were slow, they did show several turbo buicks practically doing backflips on takeoff during the "documentary" portion of the show. Just hope the ricers didn't see that part.

OOH! one other thing i noticed, i dont' know if anyelse caught this.

did anyone look at the seats? i'm not talking about how they took them all out for the race (haha) but they looked to be lear sigler seats to me. IF they were then the cars were both 84's right?

and good point with the chips, new injectors and no chip, whatever, its not my car.

so whos sending their car to twins turbo to get the work done on em?

At least r cars got some air time. I have to give them props for that. Not good air time other than the history lesson but air time nontheless.

OOOOOHHHH! me 1st. Cause god knows eveything on my car is wrong. Got to let the professionals fix my car so i can finally be respected amongst the imports.:rolleyes:

did u guys notice that both interiors were stripped out a la ricer to lightem up?? LOL And one had an aftermarket leather interior..

Just saw the show. Great history lesson, poor performance. After upgrading turbo, injectors, adding an intercooler, new trans and convertor, slicks, and a halfway decent downpipe dump they could only muster mid to high 14's from one car and the other car broke. My stock 84 on street tires and pump gas went 14.2. Great history lesson and really praised the GN and Buick for all the innovations.

Greg Kring
87 GN 9.05 @ 150

How about that dirt clogging the schreader valve keeping it from starting :D

i was actually talking about the mystery one that buick built, that everyone knows about, yet no one has ever seen.

but i did see chris chows on there, pretty cool.
i liked that part of the show, nothing like seeing twisted run. and the dognut, i have that video and ever since i've seen that i want to do it. if tires were cheaper you can bet i'd be doing it every chance i get.

History-wise,
We saw Kent Rudbeck's 4-wheel wheelie almost a half-dozen times,
Chris Chow's Twin Turbo V8 GN pulling to the line,
John Gallina's 7-second Super Stock record holding GN leaving the line hard,
Marka Gallina going straight up and headingg for the Xmas tree,
A "GNX" that had no fender flares,
Pete Barton's Yellow ANS car launching hard,
Billy Chafin's normally aspirated V6 GN (with police cruise paint scheme), and my favorite, overly dramatic moment - the incorrect removal of fuel injector clips.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scott231
............and my favorite, overly dramatic moment - the incorrect removal of fuel injector clips.:rolleyes:

Guess you never did injectors on '84-5 turbo Buicks? Looked right to me, clips are not the same as '86-7.:)

i was wondering if that was rudbeck's rosewood car that went up and then crashed down hardw / something draggin.

anyone else notice that they dubbed in v8 sound over most of the clips? also, im glad they had guys who dont even know how to stage or what a tree is...they really left the line HARD :rolleyes:

Red just doesn't give the Grand Nationals the sinister look they deserve. Buick made the right call, I THINK, with going all Black. :D

wow I have to admit...the show was good on giving a decent history lesson about the cars but the guys working on the cars had NO CLUE WHATSOEVER! LOL!

man I tell you what...guys that pull up next to my car from now on are gonna think my car is a slow low 14 second car even WITH mods...I'm lovin it...those cars with those mods should have been in the high 12's...

yeah Kent's car doing that massive wheelstand was shown like 10 times...you'd think they would fit some different clips in there...

I was laughing my butt off when that first guy driving the GN on the track was going crazy when he won the race...WAHOO I JUST RAN A 14.3:rolleyes:

give the show credit though...I mean how many things on TV do you see about our cars? anything even if it's this lame sometimes is better than nothing...just now we get more money in our pockets on the street because it confused them even more! (btw, they said the 85 cars had the ALL black appearance with the black grille...BUZZZZZZ! wrongo!)

and they couldn't have picked a better GN motor to work on...84-85s SUCK to work on compared to the 86-87s

:)

The show is intended for entertainment and to see how a couple of cars can be prepared in a short period of time. If they didn't get hardcore well so what...who here has ever done a major round of mods on a forced induction car and with NO tuning...have it turn out as you expected? Not many if the truth is told. Give these guys a break.

Nobody even mentioned the most ridiculous part of the show and that was the guy who claimed he could put the 100 dollar bill on the dash board and nobody could take it. If I had a dollar for every yutz who has claimed that over the years....I could retire.