85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

2 85 GN's racing on Hist. Chnl @ 12am CST

The show FULL THROTTLE is doing a build up and race of 2 85 GN's. It's repeating at midnight tonight on the History channel.

Just thought I'd pass that along if y'all wanna tape it or wanna see it.

Michael:cool: :cool:

Originally posted by BlownZ

Nobody even mentioned the most ridiculous part of the show and that was the guy who claimed he could put the 100 dollar bill on the dash board and nobody could take it. If I had a dollar for every yutz who has claimed that over the years....I could retire. [/B]

Soo true!Back in the seventies it was a $50 bill. I guess inflation has hit the BSER"S hard also!

I missed the show at 8:00 CST, but my Tivo is going to record the next airing at Midnight, in case anyone missed the first one, you have a second chance Tonight!

They had video of what appeared to be from a 1986 PBS "Motorweek" road test (The slaloming GN on the dragstrip).

I would have much rather watched that full road test (10 minutes?) and called it a night.

Could they have found two more incompetent "tuners" (the firemen)?

when you think about it, they didn't make our cars look very good. the historical stuff was of interest and known to most but still........big mods and 14.35 on drag radials?????

I wonder if I could even run a low 14 with a stock chip? Seems like everybody knows if you change injectors, you HAVE TO change chips! Oh well, guess I get the car out, need some $ for the holidays!;)

no boost gauge on either car. i guess they were guessing by the dash cluster bar indicator?

i noticed the the new turbo has a precision exhaust housing on it, nice for them to use all that red RTV smathered all over the elbow, turbo, and header gaskets!
YUK

glad to see they forgot to put the transmission fluid in, and change the oil, or at least check the OIL... one of the groups probably thought it was a 710 cap and had no idea what it was!

My favorite quote of the show was.. "you guys ever removed a transmission" both guys looked at him shaking their heads as if they didnt even know what a transmission was!

Funniest thing about it was, the transmissions were ALREADY out, they would be installing the transmissions, not taking them out:rolleyes:

LOVED IT!!!

LOL

BW

Well the show was dumbed down for the audience, im sure they installed a chip outside the show as i really doubt they would have made it down the track (at least the one that did) without blowing blacksmoke and running a 18 something. The problem with the cars was no tuning, no fuel pump and the crappy msd ignition. And a relay made it pop but it still ran lol? yeah right haha, seemed like it was a bad ground or grounds to me. Don't know if its true or not, but i did hear that the car that broke was later fixed and was run to a mid 13 by the new owner, but that was just a rumor i read somewhere in another thread.

the thing that caught my eye was the fuel injector swap. he was really screwing those things in there. they are injectors...not screws.

i thought that turbo they put on looked pretty sexy, but what was the deal with that intercooler? it looked kinda small to me.

a lot of the low et problem was prob due to driver too. those guys clearly had no idea of what they were doing.

i think it would have been much cooler if they had two teams of people who actually knew a lot about buicks and tuning them. how sweet would it be to see people like John Gallina and chris chow go at it?

-jeff

Originally posted by iamjeff
the thing that caught my eye was the fuel injector swap. he was really screwing those things in there. they are injectors...not screws.

i thought that turbo they put on looked pretty sexy, but what was the deal with that intercooler? it looked kinda small to me.

a lot of the low et problem was prob due to driver too. those guys clearly had no idea of what they were doing.

i think it would have been much cooler if they had two teams of people who actually knew a lot about buicks and tuning them. how sweet would it be to see people like John Gallina and chris chow go at it?

-jeff

i agree about the drivers, but even just flooring a car with a 10" stall and being a hot air (i doubt it was a huge turbo) it should still click off 0-60 in 5.5 or so (they recorded 9.5 lol thats 2 seconds slower than claimed stock on the show) anyways another thing is i bet that they left the trannys in OD and were probably in 4th gear at 85 mph lol

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
Funny seeing shots of Chows car in there ;)

I thought that was pretty cool.
I know 3 of the people that were displayed on the show.
Chris Chow, Steve Hurst and the one and only Ken Duttweiler.

Basics

I just caught the show here in Alaska, it would air later than the rest of the country.

All in all I enjoyed the show just for the fact it was on the cars we all love.

It was a bit off the right track in that the cars they were talking about and the pictures did not match up.

Too bad they did not do the show on the 86-87 and really put out some good track times.

To tell you the truth I was suprised the one car did click off a 14 second time just after slapping on some parts and going to the track. The car that lost is usually the outcome when doing something and going right to the track.

Im sure all of you out their, like myself are familiar with these cars were crying and wishing they would pay attention to fuel pressure, chips and the basics that are common knowledge to Buick guys.

But the essence of the show was to take unknowing people and throw them into a race to build cars.
I guess the comparable would to have us Buick guys do a build off in two days on a Ugo??

At any rate I did enjoy seeing the cars get a little PR and Hollywood time. After all they did have some good clips of really fast cars getting after it!

Dennis

Full Throttle

Next Airing: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:00 AM

Did any body watch it tonight was alright it would of been nice if they would of went into it a little more 14.23 in the quater pretty slow:confused:

Holy cow-- it's on right now in CA and the first thing I saw when I switched on the Hist Channel was Steve Hurst, on camera....

yeah steve hurst really did a number mentioning the $100.00 joke on the dash of the car, that was pretty funny, i also saw Rollin Molly Sanders lets not forget he was one of the founding fathers of the GN and who is almost completly responsible for giving it the black out sinister look, the show was a joke those 2 clowns did not have any idea what they were doing, anyway it was fun to watch but kinda dissapointing with how they took those cars to the track doing mods like that without even changing a chip or mounting a boost gauge to monitor boost levels, those cars should off been running low 13's if not high 12's with moderate boost and Xylene in the tank :)..

Total crap, no scantool, no shake down runs, and they didn't even know how to launch the thing.

SUCKED

Show sucked but we have finally been seen no chip or fuel pump upgrade the guy couldn`t even do a burn out in the burn out box what a joke those injectories looked like msd 50s wonder what size turbo they went with no scanmaster or boost guage what is really wrong here:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: