86/87 turbo drain on a hot air setup?

DCG

Anyone ever put the ic turbo drain on a ha? I can't get my stock one in the grommet. I tried 2 different new grommets. I have the hole in the heat shield also. Tried many times. Not enough length in that acordion pos. I'm about to cut the flare and fitting of the 86 one and try it. Pipe o.d. and gasket looks the same. Anyone ever try this?

Anyone ever put the ic turbo drain on a ha? I can't get my stock one in the grommet. I tried 2 different new grommets. I have the hole in the heat shield also. Tried many times. Not enough length in that acordion pos. I'm about to cut the flare and fitting of the 86 one and try it. Pipe o.d. and gasket looks the same. Anyone ever try this?

Anyone ever put the ic turbo drain on a ha? I can't get my stock one in the grommet. I tried 2 different new grommets. I have the hole in the heat shield also. Tried many times. Not enough length in that acordion pos. I'm about to cut the flare and fitting off the 86 one and try it. Pipe o.d. and gasket looks the same. Anyone ever try this?

Post a picture of the intake with grommet and drain tube.

Last edited:
Whoever speced the ID for the grommet screwed up. It's been this way in the aftermarket for some time now. I have a bunch of used turbos, most with the drain line crushed to fit the aftermarket grommets.

The grommets fits nicely when not installed, but once installed the ID tightens up and they won't fit. I had an OEM grommet, otherwise I would have used something (rat-tail file?) to enlarge the ID of the grommet.

Anyone ever put the ic turbo drain on a ha? I can't get my stock one in the grommet. I tried 2 different new grommets. I have the hole in the heat shield also. Tried many times. Not enough length in that acordion pos. I'm about to cut the flare and fitting off the 86 one and try it. Pipe o.d. and gasket looks the same. Anyone ever try this?
Yes that’s what is on my car. Just cut off the nut. Works great much better than the factory hit air drain.

Thanks for the replys. I can't even get my phone in there to take a picture. I bought a grommet off the help rack for $3. Also enlarged the hole in the intake a little. I could get the drain in by itself but not with the whole turbo setup. Then bought a new grommet from g body parts. It was the exact one I had for 5 times the price part#6042323 made in china. If I could stretch out the acordion parts it might work, but the bends make it to short . 85tr, good to know it worked for you. I'll be doing it soon.

When i had my 84 I used the 86/87 tube with the nut cut off. Much easier to install!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk