'86 GN in Seneca Falls, NY

Jakesdad

This car is listed on eBay for sale, auction no. 2421099794

The car had over 125,000 miles and a lot of rust when I sold it in 1999.
It is listed as having only 95,000 miles, and a long list of great improvements - don't believe it.

If you're looking for a pristine car - avoid this one.

VIN number 1G4GK4772GP428748

feel free to contact me for proof of prior ownership

Tell us a little more about this car , and why should we not believe the ad on ebay.

Thanks
Jesse

Here is some of the history while I had it:

I purchased the car in 1992 from Heritage Motors, Victor, NY. I do not remember the mileage, but I can look it up if anybody is interested. Heritage bought the car at the auction, and therefore I do not know any of its history prior to when I owned it. The car had rust on the body then, and it was obvious it had been driven year round.

The car had rust holes in the bottoms of both doors, and door skins - repaired with Bondo.
The car had rust holes in the windshield pillars towards the bottom, where the door weatherstrip attaches - more Bondo.
The driver's side door latch cracked out out the body pillar, which was re-welded.
The transmission was slipping badly when I sold it - the transmission "may" have been repaired, I would insist on seeing the receipts from the seller.
The engine has not been out of the car, so a "complete rebuild" is possible, but I don't know how you can perform machine work on the engine while it's still in the car. The car leaked oil in a lot of places when I sold it - especially the usual rear main seal.

The auction indicates the car "never had a race chip" - I tried several different chips in the car. It did have the factory chip in it when I sold it.
The "Auburn posi" is a rebuilt GM factory unit I installed, since the car didn't have a posi from the factory. IF the rear was changed, insist on seeing a receipt.

The concert sound II stereo was not functoning when I sold the car - it could have been replaced - I do not know.

The Kirban front and rear braces were installed by me, in an attempt to stop the T-top rattles. They helped somewhat, but didn't help the T-top leaks - keep away from car washes.

When I bought the car in 1992, it already had aftermarket springs front and rear which were much stiffer than stock. It handled great, but the extra stiff suspension took its toll on the body.
The car has been driven winters - hence the extensive rust on the car.
The gas tank rusted out, which I replaced - however the replacement tank is a standard G-body unit, which means it does not have the "pot" in the bottom for the fuel pump/sock - like the factory unit.
I also replaced the electronic climate control unit - the replacement works properly most of the time, but the led lights on the display do not always work properly.

Obviously, all of the rust and problems on the car can be, or might have been fixed, however any potential buyer should be aware of the repairs made - not lead to believe the car is a pristine time capsule.
Either way, no matter how many repairs were made, you can't take 30,000 miles of use off a car even though you roll back the odometer.

If you want a driver, this might be it. If you want perfection, look elsewhere.

The seller is Mark Demaria, doing business as Demo's used cars
in Geneva, NY - his number is listed in the ebay ad.
The beautiful house in the background is not his. He lives in a white house, much smaller and no lakefront.

The $7000 paint job was performed by Mr. Demaria in his garage. It is painted standard gloss black, not the metallic black that came from the factory. Please do yourself a favor and look at the paint job in person before you put too much faith in the "$7000" paint job. You will be disappointed in the finish.

Sounds like a car I saw bought on eBay. I sold this guy a 289 Hi-Po Ford engine and met him on the northside to deliver it to him. He had just picked up a Comet convertible that I saw he was bidding on a few days prior. In the pic, it wasn't bad. When I walked up to it on his trailer, there were holes you could fit your fist through, strategically left out of the photos. Undercarriage was even worse.

Thanks Jakesdad for disclosing what you know. You have potentially saved someone alot of heartache. Never buy a car off eBay without an agreement to final acceptance based on visual in-person inspection. Crooks.:mad:

Thanks for the info Jakesdad. Reminds me of a "pristine, all original, never rusted" '65 GTO I went to look at in Poughkeepsie, NY about a year ago (ebay car). I could not find one original seat cover or interior panel in the interior (all aftermarket repo's). The trunk pan and the floor pans had been replaced. The radiator support, two front fenders, two rear quarters, all four wheel houses, the gas tank and even the frame had been replaced. It was obvious that someone had put a lot of money into this car rebuilding it, but it was about as far as you can get from being "pristine, all original, never rusted". Its too bad that truth seems to be an all but forgotten casaulty in our culture today. --Terry

P.S. While I was there going over the car for 3 hours, his phone was ringing off the hook with out of state interested parties wanting him to end the auction early and accept their offer on the sight unseen car. I had first dibs since I was there looking at it. A gentleman from Michigan bought it sight unseen for $30K a minute after I refused the car. Unbelieveable, I would never buy a car sight unseen unless I had prior long term detailed knowledge of the car and knew and trusted the owner completely.

for sale again, with even lower miles!

I see my old car is once again for sale on ebay. Item number: 2481865331
This time with only 43043 miles, and an even longer description of what a pristine example of perfection the car is.
It sounds too good to be true, and it is.
Carfax shows it had 82xxx miles in 1993
A previous auction by the same owner (different ebay username) listed the car as having 95,000 miles.
It had at least 125,000 when I sold it.

Buyer beware of this car - if you want it - please do your research so that you aren't disappointed or ripped off.

Please feel free to contact me for additional details.