You can type here any text you want

87 drivetrain connected to 84 Hydroboost help (drawing included)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Project TNX

Help me connect the dots please. :D

hydroboostquestion1.jpg

hydroboostquestion.jpg

See if my diagram helps. I did this conversion recently.

Attachments

• Hydroboost 2.JPG
    Hydroboost 2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 239
See if my diagram helps. I did this conversion recently.

Excellent, just what I needed, thanks a lot. That is what I was thinking but didn't know if I had the lines to the reservoir right. Did you get 2 custom lines made?

I made the lines myself. I bought all the fittings and braided lines from Summit. I bought the Hydroboost unit used. The fittings and lines were the expensive part.

I made the lines myself. I bought all the fittings and braided lines from Summit. I bought the Hydroboost unit used. The fittings and lines were the expensive part.

So you used the fittings they sell and put them on with round clamps? The world of fittings is new to me, I don't know how the home wrench turner attaches them for the high pressure ones. :frown:

The ruber lines are held on with clamps. The pressure lines have to be done right. Here is a link to making hoses yourself. Much cheaper than buying pre-made hoses:

Hydratech Braking Systems Forums

When I get a chance, I will post some pics of the lines on my car.

Guys,
BE CAREFUL. The pressure side (from "pump to HB" and "HB to steering box" are high (really high) pressure so you need to use fitting and hoses that are rated for power steering systems. The return lines are low pressure so demands are not so severe.
Conrad

Guys,
BE CAREFUL. The pressure side (from "pump to HB" and "HB to steering box" are high (really high) pressure so you need to use fitting and hoses that are rated for power steering systems. The return lines are low pressure so demands are not so severe.
Conrad

Excellent advice!

Here is a picture of my lines if this gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 100_1228.jpg
    100_1228.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 208
Here is a picture of my lines if this gives you an idea.

Thanks, that looks clean, very nice.

Guys,
Conrad

Oh, I will be careful. I'm going to find a heavy machinery shop tomorrow and get some custom hoses made.

I should have been more specific. I used Russell "power steering" hose ends and Aeroquip TFE Teflon lined braided hoses for use with power steering. I searched and found summit to be the cheapest. I could not get what I needed locally.

Tin Man,
I knew you would do it right!
Conrad

Another little secret

When you refill the power steering pump use Dexron III with Mercon. This will keep it from bubbling and boiling and will extend the life of your power steering pump.

When I first heard this I thought it was crazy however that is what all the new cars are doing. I have ran it in mine now for over 2,500 miles and it is quiet and works well.

You should also install an in-line filter from the gear box back to the hydro boost. This will keep any metal shavings from ruining the hydro boost. There are many articles that talk about this subject.

Anyone got specs (manufacturer and part number) on the inline filter?
Conrad

Anyone got specs (manufacturer and part number) on the inline filter?
Conrad

The filter does not have a name or number on it so here is the next step.

Call this place and they will know exactly what you need. This is where I purchased mine. Had to go through paperwork to find where I got all of this stuff.

Power Brake Services.com

These people know brakes inside and out and can also help with SS braided lines.

The filter does not have a name or number on it so here is the next step.

Call this place and they will know exactly what you need. This is where I purchased mine. Had to go through paperwork to find where I got all of this stuff.

Power Brake Services.com

These people know brakes inside and out and can also help with SS braided lines.

Wow, looks like they have a hose kit with everything I need, I'll have to call them Monday, thanks.

Wow, looks like they have a hose kit with everything I need, I'll have to call them Monday, thanks.

Yes they do and they are very knowledgable about brakes. I hope they will be as helpful to you as they were with me.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

Back