You can type here any text you want

87 Regal always sputtering and dying

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UmadBro

I couldn't figure out how to delete my old post but I wanted to remake it with the proper title.

It has been sputtering even when warm and sometimes die, then if I let it sit for awhile it will start and run just fine.

I have had the fuel pump and fuel filters replaced and they didn't fix the problem. Other than that there hasn't been any work on the engine. It's the 3.8 liter v6 and I feel that it's something to do with the fuel but I really don't know. The check engine light isn't on either.

I also noticed when I open the choke and look inside that the injectors are pretty much just dripping gas out very slowly, one is kind of spraying but not very good. Is there anything that will clean these out? Or should I see about getting it rebuilt

Sounds like your Mass Air Flow Sensor might be going bad, you can pick up one at your local parts store (AC Delco re-man) AutoZone etc. for about 50 bucks. If the car is spitting out black smoke then it def is your mass-air flow. Take out and clean, or get new spark plugs, also check your EGR valve. The EGR valve prob has carbon buildup as well, this as might be causing the issue if not opening and closing properly also. These are some of the easiest things to change out before tearing more into the engine and replacing more expensive electrical parts.

Well it's white smoke, but everyone has been saying Mass air flow sensor so I may have to look into that. I feel like my carb is broken tho, like it's a gas issue or something..

Well I move this to a more appropriate location. Your car doesn't have injection, it's carburated. What you're seeing under the choke plate is the venturies, not injectors. You've got a 2 barrel carburator so that should help you out some. If it was injected you woulldn't be able to see the injectors from the throttle opening. What you need to look at is whether the choke plate is staying open or not. If it's staying closed then it's getting to much fuel. If it's dripping fuel then the carb is most likely flooding and killing the engine. Is it blowing black smoke out the tail pipe?

Thick white smoke. But only did it for a few minutes the other day while I was warming up. The choke is open when it's warmed up, but not fully, and it also looks like there's a lot of gas or something inside the air filter.

Could be oil in the air filter housing. If it's gas then you've got some carbed issues to say the least.

I would suggest getting a second carb. Doesn't need to be a high dollar rebuild. Just having a second carb is great for diagnosing problems. They are easy to swap. When you swap carbs, if the problem is still there, then it likely is something else.

You mentioned a check engine light, so this is a computer controlled engine. There had be a about a zillion cars made with an electronic 2-bbl 3.8 V6 in the mid eighties. Finding a decent carb shouldn't be hard.

Or you can move up to a Q-jet and 4-bbl intake from a 1981-84 4.1 V6.

I found a guy around here that's going to rebuild my carb over the next few days. I definitely feel like it's the carb tho. It died on me today after driving in the highway for about 45 minutes and the one thing I noticed was that the choke was completely closed and stayed that way even after I got it home. If that doesn't fix it ill let you guys know.

Back