You can type here any text you want

87 regal turbo timing chain went

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thutch

i am looking at a 1987 regal turbo that the timing chain went has a lot of aftermarket parts,i might buy it what if any damage would the chain going cause.

well that depends ....I am not sure because I have never seen one break but most of the time the nylon timing gear goes and you loose some teeth which would cause it to run real bad or not at all. it could have had piston to valve clearance issue and that would mean pulling the heads and getting valves as long as they did not hurt the pistons....then you would need a complete build.

I am not sure if the stock setup is an interference engine meaning what I stated above....but you say it has a lot of aftermarket parts. If it has a larger cam then a valve or valves could hit the pistons and damage would not be know completely until you opened it up.

the guy owned the car for five years ,he told me that the car was rebuilt he didnt know the specs,it has things like houston down pipe,intercooler mounted in the grill,th400 tranny,upgraded turbo.so i have had timing chains go in v8 cars and didnt do any damage but dont know about the v6 turbo,cars.

if the t chain was metal sol. mine took **** and it took out bearing.
total rebuild$$$$$$$$
at keast i got a good motor now
ck the rods and mains

When I bought my first gn the timing gear had basically disintegrated and caused the oil pump to go south requiring a complete rebuild.

when replacing the t gear id go with the nylon teeth
if they break you dont get all the metal in the motor
had my orig replaced with the all metal and thats where the trouble started
call weber racing and ask them
very good people to deal with
good luck

I had a double roller break. The biggest damage was bent valves. The top end stops turning, but the bottom end doesn't. So, any valves that are hanging down, are going to get bent. Just remember that when you are cranking it over to restart it. :D

Ive seen them fail.. the stock gears will just disintegrate.

Prolly bent a few valves and nothing more.

Do a compression test. If the valves are bent the engine will spin over really fast even with the plugs in it. If no bent valves then the front and pan will have to come off to clean out the nylon from the stock gear. You may want to replace the pickup also.

Back