'87 Stripped sparkplug hole.

Slick87gn

I have only owned it a short time. right bank center plug is stripped. Previous owner didn't tell me about this. Can it be repaired without pulling the head. Has anyone did this before??:confused:

I have only owned it a short time. right bank center plug is stripped. Previous owner didn't tell me about this. Can it be repaired without pulling the head. Has anyone did this before??:confused:

Any local parts store will have a "spark plug thread repair kit".It will include a tap and a heli coil kit.Very easy to use and a very easy repair.

Any local parts store will have a "spark plug thread repair kit".It will include a tap and a heli coil kit.Very easy to use and a very easy repair.

Use some grease on the tap to collect as many chips as possible.

There's a tool

Called a backtap.....I stripped out my rear psg side spark plug a while ago and purchased this tool from NAPA for about 80bucks worked like a charm....
Oh yeah I took the tool back too ;)
Steve Chambers

I would suggest removing the head. I wouldnt risk getting any of the little metal shavings in hte combustion chamber where they could do damage.

I would suggest removing the head. I wouldnt risk getting any of the little metal shavings in hte combustion chamber where they could do damage.

Small shavings will not cause damage.Remember this stuff will be blown out during start up. If the can be repaired on the car give it a go.

I know that they shouldnt do any damage I am just a very cautious person and would rather take the head off that way there is no chance of any damage.

"Small shavings will not cause damage.Remember this stuff will be blown out during start up. If the can be repaired on the car give it a go."

That exhaust gas isnt being blowin into his turbo? metal shavings are ok thru our tubos?

You are reading too much into this. The small shavings created while doing this job are not that bad. They are light in weight also. I bet anything blows out of the motor during cranking. There is nothing hot in there to melt them as there is no real temp in th exhaust housing during or immediately afterstart up..

Do you want anything in there ...NO... would i do the repair in the car yes.. thats what it boils down to. My .02:)

1 hours work vs 10 hours work?

I would also repair the thread with the heads on the car. Those metal shavings will be blown out before the turbo get's spinning past 100 RPM.

If you are really "concerned" about doing this w/o removing the head, put some grease or heavy oil on the tap or drill. When done, disconnect the computer, and turn the engine over a few times, and this should blow out any missed particles.:smile:

Wouldn't hurt to blow out the cylinder after you have run the tap. Actually I'd be more concerned with making sure the tap is nice a straight before I'd be worried about shavings. You could also spin it over a few times without the plugs. Don't worry, get r' done. :biggrin:
Gary