87 vs 85 balancers

85 t-tizzle

put a 87 motor in my car with a n/a crank in it and used the hall effect sensor and balancer off the original 85 motor and now the sheetmetal piece on the back of the balancer is rubbing the crank sensor and it won't trigger the coilpack it seems the crank snout is shorter on the n/a crank or are 87 and 85 balancers differant lengths ???????????????help

i didn't see anything that looked like an oil slinger when i tore down the 85 motor the only thing on the front of the crank was the balancer

If the oil slinger is not there, that would put the balancer interrupter ring slightly closer to the crank sensor, which is why it would be rubbing.

I'm assuming

You had the front cover off.
After you installed timing gears and chain set, there is an oil slinger (.032 thick) that goes on the crank before the front cover goes on. Did you or did you not install the oil slinger? From your post I thought that the interupter ring was going too deep into the sensor. Yes or no? If it is hitting on the side a simple adjustment should fix that. That's about all the help we can be from our puters.Best of luck.