89TTA Keys Stolen!!!

SAVANNAHAUTOAIR

AUTO AC AND COOLING PARTS
The keys to our 89 TTA were stolen, so I called the dealer to get another set made.

However, they said the keys on these cars have a chip in them, and there's 15 different chips...anybody have any ideas as to what I should do?

Dealer states labor rate on this is $30 per hour, and the car takes one hour to re-set after each key/chip has been tried.

Any and all help will definitely be appreciated!

Brett

you can unplug the 2 wires from the column and ohm them out ..that will tell you what the resister (sp) is ..tryin to remember the wire colors ... maybe yellow and red .. havent had one apart for a while

dealers gernerally dont charge litterally by the hour. they have an hourly rate and it states in a book how many hours each job is supposed to take. they might charge a little differently since it is a unussual circumstance, but i doubt it.

sorry i dont actually have any info to help you.

-Jeff

What grumpy says is true. There isn't really a "chip" in the keys, it's just a resistor. I bet there's some information on gnttype.org about the 15 different posibilities. If not, thirdgen.org should have something as well. It's called the VATS system if you are searching for info.

If you could remember the 2 letter code on the keys that'll tell you the resistor value.

Oh and get a new set of locks including ing it will have new keys with it anyway. I would not keep the same ones if there is a missing set floating around good way to lose a car ya know.

Thanks guys...I should be able to figure it out.

Basically, what the dealer was saying was that they'd have to try one key, and if it didn't work, there were 14 other possibilities. Also, after each key was tried, we'd have to wait an hour before the next could be tried...sounds kinda fishy to me.

I searched gnttype.org and the boards prior to posting, (this isn't something that I'm proud of) and didn't find much. I could have been using the wrong key words.

Thanks again, and I'll see what I can do with the column.

Brett

I had an 89 Firebird with this type of ignition and smashed column. Grumpy is half right. They are both yellow wires. There should be two small yellow wires coming out of the column. If you have another key, then use a voltmeter to ohm out the resistor. Then get the ignition changed and the door locks. I doubt that you have to wait an hour between testing them, but I could be wrong. Do you have another key?
What I did on mine was, I replaced the column with one from and 84. It didn't have that type of ignition, and the original was damaged. So, I just added a resistor with the same value as the key, and tied that to the two yellow wires, and never had a problem again. With a TTA, I don't suggest this though. You want the security of it. A locksmith may be able to help you out too, especially if you do have another key. Good Luck.

Where did you lose them? I would be careful, I know somebody that lost their keys and the keys were never really "lost" they were stolen! and so was the car! be careful on this one.....

Just as wagon said you need to ohm the key to bypass it.and or to get the new key made,You would need to change the pass key box to change the chip value

SAVANNAHAUTOAIR said:
Thanks guys...I should be able to figure it out.

Basically, what the dealer was saying was that they'd have to try one key, and if it didn't work, there were 14 other possibilities. Also, after each key was tried, we'd have to wait an hour before the next could be tried...sounds kinda fishy to me.

Brett

That does sound strange. Most if not every dealer should have what is called an interigator(sp). Basically one of those expensive Kent-Moore dealer tools. It has a dummy key that you stick in the lock cylinder to read the resistence and a dummy slot on the box itself to read the key so duplicates can be made. At my place we keep it with the key cutter and make the techs sign it out.

Right Eric, I forgot about that tool.
But it will require towing it to the dealer,but an easy way out.
Although,You should be able to go to the dealer with your VIN number and
there is a number they call and it faxes the key code including the chip# to their fax machine.I had to do that a number of timese when i worked in at GM part department,I think it was called Tracs2000.It may not be on record anymore though

KLHAMMETT said:
I think it was called Tracs2000.It may not be on record anymore though

We access the codes via GM Dealerworld now instead of Tracs. Being an '89 model the codes most likely are not on file any more.

If you know someone (friend) in service or the parts dept. at a local dealer they may be able to bring the "interogator" to your house one evening. Or for security reasons you may want to change the locks completely.

K.

Ya i havent worked at the dealer in a few years, I figured that had something newer by now

GM printed the vats code on the original dealer invoice. It was in a row of askerisks. If you known where the car was bought new, The dealer may still have the invoice if they haven't archived deal files that old. Good luck on that method.

The Kent Moore/Spent Moore tool has a 15 position variable resistor that hooks up to the two wire connector at the steering column. The tool supplies the correct resistance to the VATS module (in place of the key and cylinder). If you have the mechanical cut correct, you try each resistor value 1 thru 15 until you find the one that will start the car. You can only try once every 2.5 minutes. If you try too many times, The VATS module locks you out for an hour.

The KM tool has a timer built in to assist the tech. The tool also has a key reader built in that will tell you the code of any key you plug in the reader.

he said in the original post that they were solen(also the title of the thread).

it's a long shot but have somebody at least try to run the VIN through dealerworld, you MIGHT get lucky. Generally they only go back to 1990, but I have gotten a couple 88-89 key codes. Just remember you will need to show prrof of ownership; the manufacturers are getting pretty anal-retentive about releasing key codes.

I dont get that whole waiting an hour thing...just unplug the battery for 10-15 minutes (at most) and it resets the ECM