You can type here any text you want

90 3.8L whats needed for rwd conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojack

I have a 90 3.8.out of a regal.Been sitting in garage for couple yrs,now the boy wants to put it in a 75 datsun p/u, Can it be converted to a carb,what about distributor? and what trans for the RWD setup ? Any info would be helpful---Jack

I have a 90 3.8.out of a regal.Been sitting in garage for couple yrs,now the boy wants to put it in a 75 datsun p/u, Can it be converted to a carb,what about distributor? and what trans for the RWD setup ? Any info would be helpful---Jack

I think the only RWD trans that will bolt up is the 700-4r from a V6 Camaro because of the front wheel drive bolt pattern. As far as a distributor and carb, there is no place to put a distributor and I'm not aware of any carb manifold that will fit it. I would just use the stock setup. Get a stock wiring harness and computer. You will also have to fabricate an exhaust.

I think the only RWD trans that will bolt up is the 700-4r from a V6 Camaro because of the front wheel drive bolt pattern. As far as a distributor and carb, there is no place to put a distributor and I'm not aware of any carb manifold that will fit it. I would just use the stock setup. Get a stock wiring harness and computer. You will also have to fabricate an exhaust.

I went out and tooka 2nd look at it and there is no hole for a distrb.,so I guess I`ll have to leave it as a F/I engine,oh well.just thought I`d ask,but at least a 700r4 from a camero will fit,and I`m assuming thats a 2.8L v6,,will the torque conv from the 700r4 fit the 90 3.8L flex plate?----thanks,,Jack

It should fit, You might want to stop by a salvage yard that has a 95-02 Camaro Fbird with the 3800 V6. It'll be a little easier to install with a rear drive 3800. The 90 is a series I and the Fbody would be a series II, but at least you could take a look at the flexplate to see if it looks the same. Would he rather have a manual tranny? You can use the T-5 from the Fbody, it doesn't have provisions for a mechanical speedo. You would have to get a converter box from atrol.com . Also getting the accessory drive and motor mounts would be a good idea too,because the fwd mounts do not place the mounts on the sides of the block. Any Questions feel free to give me a call, Brad 612-708-8015. Read my sig, you'll see what I'm doing hehe

You can also put a different tail housing on the T-5 to get a mechanical speedo, best I know the tail housings are the same from 3-4gen F-bodies and the 3rd had a mechanical speedo early on and you can put a non-World Class tail on a world class box.

Back