You can type here any text you want

90mm Acufab throttle body and throttle cable questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

Question for anybody running a converted S2 4 bbl intake with an Accufab 90 mm TB.

What are you using for a throttle cable? How did you adapt the throttle lever to work on this application? The Ford style throttle lever won't cut it and the stock throttle cable will be too short for me. Morse cable? Lokar cable? looking for input from guys who have been there and done that!

Some new S2 pictures on the webpage. Mockup and install under way. Lots left to do!

Dave

On the last intake we got from Hogans with ford TBs on it we used Lokar Cables as per Ken Duttweiler.

Dave
I was using a 90mm t-body. The throttle cable is an issue.
I have a friend who is a gm parts guy (local) We sifted through a bunch of gm cables. Got one that did work.
Not the best,the geometry is bad but it works.
I could email some pics to you?
Austin

I used a throttle cable from I beleive a mustang which I purchased from Joe lubrant @ PTE & made my own bracket & by the way I have it all up for sale includeing IAC motor houseing & TPS Ford to GM conversion.As new. Pictures available apon request to interested buyers. I wound up not useing it on the stage II project I just completed.

Searching around, I found a website called Pegasus Racing that will make custom throttle cables. Either end on the jacket can/would have a 5/16" threaded end. They have lots of options for the inner cable. Their prices aren't too outrageous either

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

My throttle cable will be on the passenger side of the engine. I'm gonna use the TB "upside down" to keep the IAC housing from interferring with the hood. The intake I'm using has an additional riser welded nicely to the carb flange which spaces everything up about an extra inch.

I need to call these people and find out how flexible their cable jacket is.

Anybody using a Lokar: How sharp a bend can you put in the cable without a problem?

Originally posted by turbodave231
Question for anybody running a converted S2 4 bbl intake with an Accufab 90 mm TB..... Dave

Just finishing a S2 install like you described and found it easier to fab a bracket to fit the stock cable rather than change the cable.

Just used a plate with slotted holes mounted to the TB studs. Then a small angle with a square hole for the cable and attached it to the slotted holes in the plate for final adjustment.

We used a 1" spacer under the TB and only needed to remove the hood liner for clearance. Hogan put a slight "down" angle on the faceplate of the TB.

This was one of the "easier" problems we encountered on this project!:)

Dave,

How did you solve this problem? I'm going thru the same kinda thing right now.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

I have been busy working on all the 100's of other issues of installing a S2 engine with S2 heads. I haven't solved the problem yet. I may just use an external tension spring if I can make it work and look OK.

If I can't come up with an external tension spring to solve the problem, I will make a spring and disassemble the throttle body and replace the original torsional spring. I did some research on spring design and fabrication......not rocket science.....and I have a lathe which makes spring fabrication much easier. The spring wire is available from McMaster Carr.

If you are using an Accufab 90 mm TB, maybe we ought to put our heads together and solve this problem once.

Originally posted by turbodave231
Scott,

I have been busy working on all the 100's of other issues of installing a S2 engine with S2 heads. I haven't solved the problem yet. I may just use an external tension spring if I can make it work and look OK.

If I can't come up with an external tension spring to solve the problem, I will make a spring and disassemble the throttle body and replace the original torsional spring. I did some research on spring design and fabrication......not rocket science.....and I have a lathe which makes spring fabrication much easier. The spring wire is available from McMaster Carr.

If you are using an Accufab 90 mm TB, maybe we ought to put our heads together and solve this problem once.

Dave,

Ok that sounds like a plan. Just let me know what you want to do. I just took the heads to get some work done on them so using my car is not a good option. I have access to a lathe and mill so we should have the machines to do anything:D I live in Farmington Hills not to far from you I think.

Scott

Scott

Dave: I just modified the intake on the Opel (90 mm TB) and directed the throttle body over the right side headers rather than forward. This was done to reroute the 4" inlet from the intercooler which is now in the passenger seat location. In doing so, I had to trash the old ford cable and brackets and used a new ford cable (autozone) with new brackets. It is working fine. No problems with IAC. I also added an additional return spring from throttle body to intake (overkill). Good luck.

Back