A/C gauge set - recommendations??

Darkstar72

I’m looking at getting my own set of a/c gauges to check my system this summer and having a hard time finding a new set that would work with R12. I’m looking for the standard three hose configuration so that I can charge the system through the gauge manifold as well.

Are there gauge sets that can be used interchangeably with 134 and R12? I know there are different fittings for each system but it would be nice to be able to use on the TR and my modern daily drivers.

If anyone has any links that would be great.

you have to buy this adapter that screws on to the r-12 fittings and then onto ac hoses most gauge sets come with the quick connects for 134 you just have to unscrew them to check r12 system with that adapter then just screw back on the 134 quick connects
let me see if I can find where I bought it from
do you have some r12 if not good idea to switch
IMG_1742.JPG

I bought a set off eBay. I've upgraded the hoses and bought some adapters for the older r12 fittings. I also bought a valve to use on the can of refrigerant as it seemed I lost a lot between uses.

if you don't have any stash of r-12 that is known to be good then not worth it anymore
kirbans has a brand new drier that is powder coated black to maintain stock lock if you care
you can clean flush hoses and condenser but have to get new compressor
and put a red office tube from a 95 ford in drops temps 5-10 digress lower than ac Delco replacement have to adjust set screw on cycling switch on the drier or get new one for 134 highwaystars just started carrying them

I’m keeping it R12 for now and as long as I can still get some at reasonable market costs. I currently have a little over 3 lbs laying around right now.

So pretty much all of the gauge sets out there now are not compatible with R12 and will require adapter fittings? Any links to the adapter fittings I would need to order?

This is not urgent but once I get locked on something I can’t let it go. Just getting lined up for cool cruising this summer.

I’m keeping it R12 for now and as long as I can still get some at reasonable market costs. I currently have a little over 3 lbs laying around right now.

So pretty much all of the gauge sets out there now are not compatible with R12 and will require adapter fittings? Any links to the adapter fittings I would need to order?

This is not urgent but once I get locked on something I can’t let it go. Just getting lined up for cool cruising this summer.

Keep it R12 unless you have major component failure. The cheap gauges from amazon appear to come with the 134A adapters. They should work with R12 without the adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some of the cheap sets come with one adapter but you will need the adapter I posted a link for it
the normal hoses they come with will not screw onto the r-12 fittings
r-12 is better so run it as long as you can
but it is so bad for the environment :eek: just kidding

thx Scott I couldn't remember if the fitting on my old drier was 3/16 or 1/4
anyways if you were close darkstar72 you could have mine I shouldn't ever need it again
soon 134 will be banned when they make everyone go to 1234yf
unreal

thx Scott I couldn't remember if the fitting on my old drier was 3/16 or 1/4
anyways if you were close darkstar72 you could have mine I shouldn't ever need it again
soon 134 will be banned