A few questions....

Hotair85

mmmmmmmmmmmmm TURBO!!!!!!
Well, it has come time to swap the trans out. I've had one on the floor that a buddy and I built years ago. The only thing stock is the case and valve body.

My main question deals with the headers that I am going to install once the old KCF trans is out. (By the way, if anyone can enlighten me as to what KCF's were used in, I'd love to know.) I have an older set of Kenne Bell headers that I bought a few years ago and refurbished (sandblasted and painted). I wrenched them out of the old car myself (with much help from Bob Hebert [Intercooled88s]). He gave them to me at a sweet price too. My question is: What kind of gasket is best to use when putting them on? My stockers developed a leak almost immediately with fel-pros. I think though because the guy who welded them didn't heat the whole manifold evenly before welding and bowed them out. I may have answered my own question, but feel free to chime in.

My other question entirely unrelated to the header and gasket issue is: What could be causing my car to knock audibly at 12#s? I'm pushing 12psi on the factory turbo, mods are in my sig. I have the FP set at 45PSI on 37# injectors. It should be fine no? I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, CJ.

.... My main question deals with the headers that I am going to install .......... What kind of gasket is best to use when putting them on?

........ What could be causing my car to knock audibly at 12#s? I'm pushing 12psi on the factory turbo, mods are in my sig. I have the FP set at 45PSI on 37# injectors. It should be fine no? I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, CJ.

Re: Gasket
Use the copper types.
There is also a new gasket material out that is guaranteed not to leak.
I think you can find them on the RJC website. :cool:

Re: Audible KR
No simple answers but it is a combination of;
-Not enough octane for the boost/timing/temp
-Too much temp in the intake
-Too much timing (what timing in the chip? What chip are you running?)
-Not enough fuel (What is your AFR?)
-Too much boost (Stock is about 10-12 PSI)
:frown:

Jerryl,

That may indeed be a thought regarding the chip....didn't think of that. It was a chip handed to me said to be for 37# injectors and 93 Octane. I got it for free and it seemed to wake the car up when I installed it. I have no idea as to what timing is in the chip. What is the timing set at in a stock chip? I may throw a timing light on it after work tomorrow.

I threw some octane booster in the tank last time I filled her up and it seemed to do a little, but I haven't heard of the cans you buy at auto zone raising your octane points more than a few (like 3 or 4 points if you're lucky).

I don't know my AFR. Doubtful it's anywhere close to Stoichiometric if it's making the noise that it is. I suppose it's time to find a gauge....

As far as not enough fuel....that is another possibility that was running through my mind. I have no idea what pump is in the car. There is a major dent in the tank and it gets empty at 3/4 of a tank. (Learned that the hard way.) I have no idea what kind of pump is in there or if there's a hotwire kit on it or anything. If it is the stock pump, I know you can have adequate pressure without adequate volume. I've always wanted to take it out, but have put it off since I've lived in MA for most of the time I owned the car (The cold made me not want to freeze my ass off working on it). I hardly ever drove it there and was thinking of selling it until I moved to Oklahoma. I guess I'm finding out all the things I should have a long time ago now. I have owned the car since October of '03.

Thanx for the info on the gaskets, by the way....

-CJ

Jerryl,

That may indeed be a thought regarding the chip....didn't think of that. It was a chip handed to me said to be for 37# injectors and 93 Octane. I got it for free and it seemed to wake the car up when I installed it. I have no idea as to what timing is in the chip. What is the timing set at in a stock chip? I may throw a timing light on it after work tomorrow.

I threw some octane booster in the tank last time I filled her up and it seemed to do a little, but I haven't heard of the cans you buy at auto zone raising your octane points more than a few (like 3 or 4 points if you're lucky).

I don't know my AFR. Doubtful it's anywhere close to Stoichiometric if it's making the noise that it is. I suppose it's time to find a gauge....

As far as not enough fuel....that is another possibility that was running through my mind. I have no idea what pump is in the car. There is a major dent in the tank and it gets empty at 3/4 of a tank. (Learned that the hard way.) I have no idea what kind of pump is in there or if there's a hotwire kit on it or anything. If it is the stock pump, I know you can have adequate pressure without adequate volume. I've always wanted to take it out, but have put it off since I've lived in MA for most of the time I owned the car (The cold made me not want to freeze my ass off working on it). I hardly ever drove it there and was thinking of selling it until I moved to Oklahoma. I guess I'm finding out all the things I should have a long time ago now. I have owned the car since October of '03.

Thanx for the info on the gaskets, by the way....

-CJ

CJ,

Here is my advice without unsulting your inteligence.
There are no shortcuts in TR's, meaning ...........
If you want to run the numbers, you got to do it right.

I would turn the boost down to 10 max, and make sure the car is mechanically sound.
If you do not have one :eek:, get a scantool, before you spend any $$$$ on performance parts.
Tuning will take you MUCH farther than any performance part will.
Even if you are not into the performance, tuning will take the car MANY more miles than your think possible. (Some have reported 250,000 miles!)
I would start with the "Spring cleaning" procedure on Turbo Regal Web Site

Just a few thoughts .......... :cool:

CJ,

Here is my advice without unsulting your inteligence.
There are no shortcuts in TR's, meaning ...........
If you want to run the numbers, you got to do it right.

I would turn the boost down to 10 max, and make sure the car is mechanically sound.
If you do not have one :eek:, get a scantool, before you spend any $$$$ on performance parts.
Tuning will take you MUCH farther than any performance part will.
Even if you are not into the performance, tuning will take the car MANY more miles than your think possible. (Some have reported 250,000 miles!)
I would start with the "Spring cleaning" procedure on Turbo Regal Web Site

Just a few thoughts .......... :cool:

Well here's my reply without trying to sound like a dick:

Thanx for the advice, but I have 2 scantools already. I have an OTC 4000 with the appropriate cartridge and T-Link (I like the OTC 4000 because it updates faster).

I don't do anything without either of them. I realize there are no shortcuts and wasn't implying that there were. I have a goal of a reliable mid-12 occasional driver. I'm going to acheive it by hook or by crook.

I just took the chip because it was free and I was broke as hell. I'm thinking I may invest in a Turbo Tweak custom chip and take your advice and do it right. Like I should've from the beginning. Hence why I am looking at putting the headers on now. Since I''ll have easier access to the bolts with the trans out, why not? While I'm under the car, why not drop the tank and check my fuel pump situation out and address the issues there? (Although I think I would have far worse drivability issues with the pump being the problem).

As far as the spring cleaning procedure, I followed that every time I took her out of mothballs for the winter. I am anal about all my cars. I run nothing but synthetic lubrication in all applicable areas. Truth is, I was a college kid when I built this car. I didn't have the money do do a lot of the things I wanted to do to this car. I made sacrifices for things I figured I could do down the road. A fuel pump was one, as was a chip. Fact of the matter is, most of the parts are second-hand on that car. That's what I love about hot-airs. With many of us converting to I/C cars, the larger the availability of parts for guys like us.

Now I have the dough, so I may as well do it right. I know you guys don't know me well, as I mainly lurk around and do searches to see if my problem may be answered by someone else with a similar one. I hate answering the same question 1000 times and I'm sure you guys do too. But, I have owned this car for almost 5 years now and every time I work on it, I learn something. Sorry for the long reply, but I figured you guys needed to know all that.

Jerryl I know you didn't intend to insult my intelligence, and I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole. But when I come here and ask something, it's like calling Tech Assist back at the dealer. I just need guidance by those who have been at it far longer than I have.

With that said, what about heat range on the plugs? I'm running AC R44TS's gapped at .035". I can't remember if those are colder than stock or not. I seem to remember them being right for my setup as per the advice I got on here when building the car.

..........Jerryl I know you didn't intend to insult my intelligence, and I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole. But when I come here and ask something, it's like calling Tech Assist back at the dealer. I just need guidance by those who have been at it far longer than I have.

Understand.
I went through the same thing, but realized people did not know my ENTIRE set-up, what I had already done/tried, AND, were just trying to help me with a good heart. :cool:
So, I’ll keep it short.:redface:

Just some final advice ........ If you would have stated:
“ I get about XX degrees of KR ....…” I would have known you had a scantool, and not wrote a book. Sorry I offended you dude. :redface:

For the rest of your tuning questions, I highly recommend the “search function”. :cool:
I am sure you alaready know this. :D
Best of luck!

“ I get about XX degrees of KR ....…” I would have known you had a scantool, and not wrote a book. Sorry I offended you dude. :redface:

For the rest of your tuning questions, I highly recommend the “search function”. :cool:
Best of luck![/

Jerryl- You do not deserve this treatment. Why don't you join me and retire from this board? Half the posts here are about intercooling a hot air and are in the wrong place. Let me know if you need any logs. Talk to you soon. Brad

Best of luck![/

Jerryl- You do not deserve this treatment. Why don't you join me and retire from this board? Half the posts here are about intercooling a hot air and are in the wrong place. Let me know if you need any logs. Talk to you soon. Brad

You guys can't retire, I'm just coming out of retirement.

Best of luck![/

Seriously though, you, Jerry, and some others have been essential members on this board. We've all disagreed and gotten in pissing matches before but it's all in good fun. Don't let one person run you off.

Damn, I'm not trying to run anyone off. You're absolutely right about how I replied. I apologize. I wasn't trying to be a dick, really. You guys just don't seem to know me as well as I'd like, I guess. I should really be on here more. I have owned my GN for 5 years this October and I don't know one of you guys. Maybe I should've searched instead. But not every one problem is the same. That's why I posted about it.

Honestly, I have more respect for the old timers than anyone else. You guys' word is like gospel to me. I'll take anything you guys say to heart. After all, I am merely 22. My car is as old or older than I am. You guys have been playing around with them since I was in diapers! :eek: I'm at the stage you guys were at in the early 90's as far as knowing about these cars.

I apologize to you all for starting all of this. Next time, I just won't post at all. I'll figure it out myself. I'm perfectly capable of doing so. I've about had it with message boards anyway. Seems like every time I post, I get into something like this. It's not just on here either. Sorry again guys.